Batman: Arkham City

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
erilar

Batman: Arkham City

Post by erilar »

Got back into playing this a little last night. I've had it for a while, but got majorly distracted by a very shiny thing called Skyrim...

Anyway, since Zeke is knee-deep in Skyrim right now (he's "sharing" my disc), I decided to head back into Arkham City. I can't speak highly enough of it. The combat is just sublime - keeping that flow going, meting out some Batty justice to a room full of thugs one thump at a time. And, in the new game you can even weave attacks from the Bat-gadgets into the combat if you wish - so cool!

Detective mode is also vastly improved. It's no longer a magic know-everything vision mode. It's used for solving problems and puzzles, doing recon on the next room of thugs, etc., but you aren't chicken-winged into running around in x-ray mode all the time this time.

The plot is also really awesome this time, weaving in literally every Bat-universe character that I can even think of. The plot event that just happened with Harley and the Joker was amazing, and ended with a dramatic cliff-hanger cut to Catwoman's story. Speaking of which, this universe's Selina is perhaps the sexiest treatment this character ever received. I think I'm enjoying the combat with her even more than Batman - she's much more of a finesse fighter, while Bats is obviously a hard-form martial arts beast.

Anyway, if anyone's on the fence, this game is even better than Arkham City - really good stuff. What a great year for video games!
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer