Red Ring of Death - CURED! (for now)

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
Fen's Ego

Red Ring of Death - CURED! (for now)

Post by Fen's Ego »

My 6yr old son's world very nearly fell apart this weekend when his Minecraft game locked up and shortly thereafter, we received a visit from the red ring of death. Short version, I did some research online, made a trip to Radio Shack and an hour later, I got our old rig running again.

If anyone has a similar issue and doesn't want to shell out $$ for a professional repair (and if you are past your warranty), or simply plans to toss their 360, I'd be happy to implement the quick fix. This reportedly works for 90% of the RRoD's, since it's a matter of cleaning and replacing the cheap thermal compound around the CPU and GPU. The other 10% is genuine, curse-your-luck, hardware failure.

(There's a more detailed fix that replaces the X-clamps that hold the heat sinks to the motherboard, but I didn't go for it this time around. Crosses fingers.)

I can also tinker on the Nintendo DS Lite, as I've replaced the screens on my beloved little handheld twice now. Happy gaming.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
erilar

Re: Red Ring of Death - CURED! (for now)

Post by erilar »

Cool, man - big ups for tearing that baby open. I'm crossing fingers that my already-warranty-refabbed, non-slim 360 makes it until next winter.

Cool that your son plays Minecraft. Incredibly creative and groundbreaking game - that my own son has put countless hours into (sometimes with myself in tow).
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I've avoided the RRoD since I don't play Xbox as frequently as others. Did discover a bug in HALO 4 the other night. On one level where you get to steal a Banshee fighter, if you get shot down at a certain location, when you reload, you just keep falling and dying! So I decided to restart the mission, not realizing how big the mission actually is, and lost an entire evening's worth of play... :(

Giving HALO a break for now... :)

I may try Mass Effect again, since the new Rick Priestley game has echos of that setting, and this makes me want to play it...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I might have to take you up on that. My old RRoD Xbox sits in the closet collecting dust...

Let me know if you ever upgrade to a 3DS. I need more friends on it.