Card Hunter

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
erilar

Card Hunter

Post by erilar »

You owe it to yourself to check out this game - I can't imagine that anyone from our group wouldn't enjoy it.

Platform is currently browser-based (requires Flash), and the game is still in closed beta. Didn't take me long to get an invite though - sign up on the web site. Supposedly, iOS and Android versions may be forthcoming, as well as a full executable-based standalone version. This game would totally rock on iPad.
http://www.cardhunter.com

Their blurb:
Card Hunter is an online collectible card game with some twists:

It’s free to play and you can win cards by playing the game.
Search dungeons to find treasure and then equip your loot to build out your decks.
Use your cards to move your characters and battle monsters’ decks.
We’re taking two great flavours and combining them into something new. Classic fantasy adventuring meets collectible card gaming!

Tired of pressing buttons while grinding away at quests? Card Hunter is all about skill – your skill at deck building and playing your cards. Tired of paying for endless new card sets? Card Hunter lets you win by playing, not by paying.

Card Hunter is being developed by an all-star team. Our resumes include games as diverse as BioShock, System Shock 2 and Magic the Gathering, to name a few.
(Freedom Force should be added to that list too.)

This game really calls back to old-school Basic box D&D in a great, humorous way - and adds a dash of KotDT. The art style looks like all the classic modules. The PCs start out in the village of Ommlet. :)

This is a light, turn based strategy game with attractive, grid-based maps that look like tabletop D&D module maps. Likewise, the PC and monster counters look like stand up, cardboard figures on a base. There is a definite RPG style progression - PCs have character sheets and items.

That is where the cards come in. Your "deck" of cards is made up from the items you equip. So, a sword might give you several different attacks and/or a block. Shields and armor provide blocks and damage reduction cards. Boots give movement cards and damage reduction. Wands and arcane items provide spells, etc.

So, there is some level of randomness, as you draw a hand every round. But, that give a cool "work with what you've got" vibe.

The game is much more than what I am articulating. The art direction and humor are great, and spot-on old school D&D evocative. There is also some multiplayer, but haven't tried that out. Need friends in-game for that... ;) The free-to-play part is not at all smarmy or trappy - and as far as I can tell, payment is totally optional and unnecessary. (I shot them $10 just to support.)

Can be played in bite-sized, 10-minute chunks too.

Again, it's in beta, so there's the possibility that your characters might be reset once per month or so, but I honestly think it's really close to launch - seems very solid as-is.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Re: Card Hunter

Post by Jonkga »

Looks very cool!

Signed up for the beta...
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I'm in, and I played the first adventure, and Lance is spot-on here - this game is quite fun. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Hi Lancer X,

Thanks for playing in the Card Hunter Beta. We hope you have been enjoying your experience with the game.

To further thank you for your support, we're sending you some Card Hunter Beta keys. Please give these to your friends or anyone you think might like to check out the game and help us steer it in right direction.

To use these keys:

Send your friend one of the keys you can find below.
Tell them to use the key to register a new account at https://accounts.cardhunter.com/register using that key.
Remind them that the game is still in Beta and that their progress will be reset before we go live.
Let them know that they can buy pizza and spend it in Beta, confident that it will be re-credited when we launch.
THE KEYS:

GBSM-DRCM-BVBM
YHYW-NTMG-CJQP
PDLM-YRRD-RGMR
Remember, if you've been playing the game and have any feedback, please let us know on our forums.

Thanks again for playing our game.

- The Card Hunter Team.
I have personally stopped playing, such that the game will be fresh for me when it finally goes live, but suffice it to say that I spend many a late evening playing CH when I was on vacation, and it is fucking awesome.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

thanks lance, can't wait to try this game!
i used the third beta key, btw.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

BTW, I also have been playing and really enjoying this game. I've got more codes too, if people are interested.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Tom, don't go too nuts, because FYI your progress will get flushed when the game goes live (which should be pretty soon actually).
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

First impressions: veeeery reminiscent of that Neverwinter Facebook game I posted about last year, but Card Hunter has a much better play mechanic. Also, the homage to all things first edition in terms of art direction and "tutorial" raise this game up and away.

Crap...thanks for the heads up Lance. I burned my way through half a dozen "modules" already.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
erilar

Post by erilar »

:D I played quite a bit too - chars were like level 9 - but forced myself to stop after a while.