Elder Scrolls Online

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
Jonkga

Elder Scrolls Online

Post by Jonkga »

So, it looks like this weekend will be another beta weekend for Elder Scrolls Online. Those of you looking for an MMO fix may be interested in checking it out - I had a great deal of fun with it last weekend with Lance and Zack.

Not trying to push it, just making sure everyone was aware in case they were interested.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Re: Elder Scrolls Online

Post by erilar »

I'm definitely interested. However, Zack is coming to Califon this weekend, so unless we bring his PC, we will likely not be playing.

For those who didn't try it last time, TESO is pretty fun. The combat is fairly real time and plays much like an action game. In other words, you need to aim your attacks, dodge and block in real time, and no boring "watching cooldown meters" gameplay.

I'm very much considering playing when it launches at the beginning of April (or soon thereafter so that the servers are stable, etc.). Right now, Zack and I are playing WoW, which is our way to keep in touch and hang out during the week and when it's not our visit weekend. I will try to talk him into playing TESO, but it may be a tough sell since the new WoW expansion hits in the fall. We shall see.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Right now, Zack and I are playing WoW, which is our way to keep in touch and hang out during the week and when it's not our visit weekend.
This, i love.

In other news, I will probs be out for this sunday.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

So, After launch, I had a period of time where I wasn't really enjoying TESO, as I was going through basically the same stuff the beta was comprised of. But, I didn't play for a few weeks, went back, and built a different toon, and wow, I'm back to really enjoying this game. Great lore, wonderful graphics, crafting, combat, quests, etc.

So, again, I'm not pushing the game, I just thought I'd share that I've been having much fun recently while playing.

Also, I can craft Weighted or Sharpened Axes of the Death's Wind now, so that's awesome. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

I'm pretty interested in trying it, but am very skeptical that I'll get to game enough to make a subscription worthwhile. Not sure. I've dropped out of WoW for now, even though Zack, Mike, and Mike's kids still play a lot. I just couldn't feel like I was keeping up, which gets really old fast. If I go back into WoW or TESO, it will probably be as mostly a single play experience and I won't even be trying to keep up with anyone else (unless they want to dedicate one character just to playing with me).

Lately, I get in a game or two of Hearthstone every day or two and that's about it. Didn't even game with Zack this week, but that we mostly due to other unexpected distractions. Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojo4-vgOnoo

Still, hopefully this weekend Susan and I are setting up the third floor, which will be our adult hang out space. My computer desk and music stuff, two craft and work tables for her, my TV and a number of comfy chairs. Should be a really cool space, and will allow us a comfortable place for "parallel play", as Susan puts it. Right now, if I go upstairs to game, I'm separated from her since there's nowhere comfortable for her to hang out.

Once that's done, hopefully I'll have a little more opportunity to game.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Dude, that flooding looks like no fun! Stay safe.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jonkga wrote:Dude, that flooding looks like no fun! Stay safe.
No problems and no damage this time, other than a very manageable amount of water in the basement (was totally handled by the sump pumps and didn't even cover the whole floor).

This all started after Hurricane Sandy, which changed the way that water flows through the wooded watershed in the middle of Califon.

Susan is working on setting up a meeting with the mayor and the town engineer. Their current schedule is to fix this problem sometime in 2015, and that is total bullshit. If it weren't for the sandbag dike that Susan had already set up along her property line privacy fence, I am quite certain we would have had some major damage already. For now, the water flows past us, albeit scarily close.

That said, even the amount that's flowing down our street is doing damage (undermining our sidewalks and ruining the road pavement). Other people's houses are also downstream from us, and if it decided to divert across the street instead of down the street, it would be flowing in our neighbors' front doors, which includes several houses, a large hardware store / lumber yard, and a restaurant. I don't think the city wants that law suit.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jon -

Checking in to see if you are still playing and enjoying TESO. I have been really jonzing to vidja-game, and might want to jump in for a month to check it out.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:Jon -

Checking in to see if you are still playing and enjoying TESO. I have been really jonzing to vidja-game, and might want to jump in for a month to check it out.
I am still playing, and mostly enjoying it. I have almost exclusively been playing solo, and seem to have hit a plateau where the first instances are.

I am a bit frustrated that for all its "design your own playstyle" structure, people still fall into that "tank, healer, dps" and "your building your character all wrong" mentality. But, it is an MMO, so I guess that is to be expected.

I have really been enjoying the story and crafting even most of the combat (although some of the more "tricky" fights can get frustrating).
erilar

Post by erilar »

Cool. I have been playing a little WoW to get my explore on, but the gameplay is just so same-ol'-same-ol'. I think I'm ready for something else. Will see. If the game goes free to play, that will definitely help my decision, but may try a month to see what it's like. Game is ~$45 on Amazon now.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I'm back to casually playing SW:TOR. The combat isn't engaging but I like the story and exploration and crafting. They've also added a starfighter component which I've done a little bit with. It's pretty cool so far. :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
erilar

Post by erilar »

I've been considering that one too, since it's free to play. Agreed that the story was great. Sort of the same deal as WoW though - the combat is just too boring.