Hearthstone

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
erilar

Hearthstone

Post by erilar »

Just a quick mention that I am playing Hearthstone, so if any of you aren't friends with me on Battle.Net, let me know.

I am playing very casually and sporadically, and haven't even ventured into Arena or much online (w/ real people) play yet. I have three characters that I've raised to lvl 10+, and a lvl ~7 rogue. I haven't bought any cards yet, other than a pack or two I earned for free through cheevos.

In other words, my decks are largely made up with basic cards and wouldn't stemroll any new players. Plus, I have 4-5 more classes to level up yet, so lots of opportunities to play with new players.

If you haven't played yet, it's a great game. Blizzard seems to have removed a lot of the annoying things about CCGs (being land/mana poor, for one), and playing on the iPad on the front porch with a cocktail in hand is just sublime.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Re: Hearthstone

Post by Jonkga »

Dude, I tried it out and liked it, but then forgot about it. I'll jump right on it again, as I know some dudes down here who play it, too. I'll probably need to friend you on batle.net, too, right? How do I go about that?
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jonkga wrote:I'll probably need to friend you on batle.net, too, right? How do I go about that?
Yeah, possibly. I suspect we're also already friends on there though?

If not, Blizz created the "real name friends" thing a while back. It involves creating Friends on an account level with RL names vs. just WoW character names. I'm guessing it can be done from within the Battle.net website. If you can't find it on there, give me a txt/call and we can work through it. I honestly don't remember how to do it.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Arrrrgh! I can't play HearthStone on my antiquated iPad 1e!
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
erilar

Post by erilar »

EvilGenius wrote:Arrrrgh! I can't play HearthStone on my antiquated iPad 1e!
You can still play on your PC if you like though.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:Arrrrgh! I can't play HearthStone on my antiquated iPad 1e!
You can still play on your PC if you like though.

Yes, but not from my porch. :)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:
Jonkga wrote:I'll probably need to friend you on batle.net, too, right? How do I go about that?
Yeah, possibly. I suspect we're also already friends on there though?

If not, Blizz created the "real name friends" thing a while back. It involves creating Friends on an account level with RL names vs. just WoW character names. I'm guessing it can be done from within the Battle.net website. If you can't find it on there, give me a txt/call and we can work through it. I honestly don't remember how to do it.
I sent a friend request to your lancer.x email.

And, I wasn't wow'ed by the game when I first checked it out, but after playing a bit more, yeah, I'm all in. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jonkga wrote:I sent a friend request to your lancer.x email.

And, I wasn't wow'ed by the game when I first checked it out, but after playing a bit more, yeah, I'm all in. :)
I accepted your request last night, so I think we're all set there.

Agreed about the game being a slow burn. The tutorial didn't grab me immediately either, but playing against the AI opponents while leveling up my decks has been fun, and I love the fact that casually playing vs friends levels up your characters/decks too.

I am very excited to dipping my toe into the Arena mode, as a sealed pack format seems to be a good equalizer, as well as the most efficient way of buying new cards. However, I am going to level all my characters up to 10 before doing that, though. Seems to me that being familiar with all of the classes will be pretty necessary to build good decks from drafted cards.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jon (and interested others too) -

Also checking in to see if you've been playing Hearthstone at all? Zack and I are still, albeit pretty casually. Would be fun to get together for a few hands, and would be nice to talk over Skype and get caught up too (since I've been missing gaming nights like a jerk...).

If there are number of us interested, we could all get on the same Skype call and takes turns playing different people.

My decks are all still all basic-cards-only. I only have a few others from the 2 or so free packs I earned from cheevos.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I've played through most of the training hands. It seems like a Magic-Lite game. I'll put a little more time into it and explore a bit more. :)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:Jon (and interested others too) -

Also checking in to see if you've been playing Hearthstone at all? Zack and I are still, albeit pretty casually. Would be fun to get together for a few hands, and would be nice to talk over Skype and get caught up too (since I've been missing gaming nights like a jerk...).

If there are number of us interested, we could all get on the same Skype call and takes turns playing different people.

My decks are all still all basic-cards-only. I only have a few others from the 2 or so free packs I earned from cheevos.

I've been playing a bit. Trying the different basic decks, doing the daily quests to get gold for arena play, etc. having a good bit of fun with it. I'm down for playing a hand or two whenever - it would be great to chat and play.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Cool guys - a Skype session is definitely in order. Too bad they haven't added a spectator mode yet - that would help if we had an odd number of players. Zack makes a foursome though, so that's pretty cool!

Bob, I think the game gets a good bit deeper when one starts getting into the non-basic cards. I agree that it feels a little lighter than Magic, but also in a good way. It's much more manageable and plays smoother.

I have the following decks up to level 10:
mage
druid
hunter
rogue

Currently leveling warlock and paladin. Haven't touched priest, warrior, or shaman.

I am waiting until I level all decks to 10 before I start into Arena and/or buying any cards. I am feeling like leveling is getting me familiar with the game and the feel of the different decks (and playing against them). I think there is another free gold bump when you beat the Practice opponents on Hard mode. I only tried that once though, and the game kicked my ass... :D

Blizzard will be releasing the first Adventure Mode expansion soon, themed after the Naxxramas instance. It will add some new cards and a new "questing" type single player experience.

What evenings are you guys usually free? Sunday and Monday evenings are sometimes free for me.
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

You need to post an "ADDICTION SPOILER" before you post a game like this. *sigh*

I'm hooked.

I've tried the Arena 3x now:
First time, I won 4, lost 2 before "retiring" and claiming my prize: 1x card pack, 1x bag of gold (40? 50?), and 1x bottle of dust or whatever the whole card recycling feature is.
Second Arena I only won 2, and received the card pack and the dust.
Third Arena still playing - which I appreciate that you can step away from the Arena for as long as you want. Go play friends, another game, etc.

I haven't read up on Hearthstone, but I assume if you lose 3x in Arena (not choosing to 'retire' while you're ahead) you get nothing? A pat on the back?

I believe I joined battle.net when setting up the game. Avatar is 'natsukashima', email is tmmazur@hotmail.com. Game+porch+drinks+friends FTW!
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
erilar

Post by erilar »

IIRC, you always get one pack for participating in Arena, even if you get trashed. It's essentially 100 gold for the pack and 50 gold for the Arena "experience", worst case scenario.

I'll friend you ASAP!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ok, I've leveled up Mage and I'm about 5th with Paladin. I'll work on Priest and Druid next. :)