WildStar

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
erilar

WildStar

Post by erilar »

In case anyone else starts playing this game, I chose Thunderfoot (PVE, Exile side) as my server.

Have been doing a lot of reading about this guy, and I think this may be the one to scratch my MMO itch for a while. I was really hopeful for ESO, but it just didn't sound like the one for me.

WildStar has much more action-based combat, and a fresh sci fi setting. Plus, I love the feeling of exploring a new place, and one of the side professions in this game is all about that - exploring and mapping all the out-of-the-way areas and finding hidden places and items.

I will be jumping in for the first time tomorrow night. I've been accepted at this casual guild:

Hope Remains
http://www.hoperemains.us/home
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Lars Porsenna

Re: WildStar

Post by Lars Porsenna »

$60 to get started might be outside my price range. No free-to-play options?

damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Wow, I hadn't heard of this, but it looks really cool.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Post by erilar »

Lars Porsenna wrote:$60 to get started might be outside my price range. No free-to-play options?
Nope, they went with monthly payments. Will remain to be seen if another MMO can make monthly work. I think WoW and EVE Online are the only two surviving with monthly.

Damon - I believe that all those who have purchased are supposed to receive (3) 7-day free passes. I'll let you know if I do get those.

So far, I'm pretty impressed. The game is very solid for a new launch. The tutorial levels (~1-3) on the Arkship were kind of boring, but now that I'm on-planet, it's pretty awesome gameplay and eye-candy wise. I have only played the one session. Hope to get a few hours in tomorrow evening.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

Damon - I have a 7-day guest pass for you if you'd like to try this game out. Lemme know.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

So, using one of Lance's free passes, I have been checking this game out.

I'm surprised at how slow movement and combat feels compared to ESO.

That said, I really like the design and look of this game, and the setting and backstory have been very compelling so far.

I created an Aurin Esper Scientist, and have just gotten down to the planet level.

I'm still figuring things out, but so far I've really enjoyed what I've played.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Post by erilar »

My guess is that combat gets a lot nuttier as one levels up. I'm only level 6 or so now (one solo character and one I played with Zack).

From what I'm hearing from podcasts, to really see the game's potential and best questing, you need to stick it out to above level 10. For me, the game opened up quite a bit once I got on-planet. The intro stuff on the arkship was pretty dull.

Interesting that ESO feels faster to you - I had sort of heard the opposite.

Jon, I'll let you know when/if I'm playing this week - was on vaca last week.