The Division

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
Hardcorhobbs

The Division

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

So I just found out the Division has a new expansion: Survival. It's basically an Escape from New York instance. It doesn't matter what level you are, all you have to do is make it to the zone to open it up. It then drops you into a new version of NYC, without your level, skills or gear. All you have is a pistol, and an infection that will set in if you don't extract in time. Your mission is to recover the antivirus by any means necessary. Oh, and it's in the middle of a blizzard so it's freezing outside.

During the session you basically play a mini version of the Division. You find gear, craft better guns, warmer clothing, and skills. You need to hop from heat source to heat source so as not to freeze. You have to fight off npc's and other players to survive. You also have to craft a filter so you can enter the Dark Zone where the antiviral meds and extraction are. All in under an hour,plus whatever meds you find to extend your life, before the infection kicks in.

In other words, I'm watching for a PSN/Ubisoft sale to pick up the Division season pass. ;)
Fen's Ego

Re: The Division

Post by Fen's Ego »

Post if you find it on sale. That would get me to squeeze blood from the stone known as my wallet sooner. Still gonna purchase anyway, but that game mode sounds very satisfying.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I've been watching let's plays, and it seems awesome. Can't wait. Found out it's not on PS4 until the 20th. So I've started gearing up and practicing my Division game.

I think the gold edition was $45 this week on PSN. May want to check as that might be with the season pass... If so the season pass itself is $40, so not a bad price. However PSN has a new sale every week this month, so we'll see what happens.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Looking for games for the Xbox One, ad I beat Halo 5 & Battlefront 1 is just OK (I've been playing far more Minecraft on the 360 FREX). So is this for the xb1 and what's the deal?

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

The base game is an open world third person shooter/mmo. It's based on real life data that the Tom Clancy team ran with. You play a sleeper agent trained by the government to restore order after a virus throws the world into chaos. You can play with others or on your own. It all happens in NYC, and has you face off against looters, gangs, and even a group who wants to burn anything associated with the virus. No supernatural. This stuff is all instanced just for you, but you can team up with up to three other players.

Eventually you can make your way to the "Dark Zone" of NYC. The first area quarantined by the Government in hopes to contain the virus. Now it's a completely lawless zone, but also has the best loot in the game because it wasn't as scavenged. In game terms it's a giant persistent PVP zone. Theres a lot of PVE, but players are free to attack each other. But, if you shoot first a bounty is put on your head for some time to let other players know.

The first DLC is the underground which seems to be a big instance/dungeon crawler. The second (which comes out next week) is Survival which boils the whole game down into a bite size version of the game. Start with nothing but a pistol, and build your way to the dark zone and extract before you die of an infection. There are pve and pvp versions. Your rewards are random loot packs that give you high end gear. The final DLC sometime next year is a base-building horde mode.

And, this week at Best Buy the game is $19.99 (or $15.99 if you have "gamers club unlocked" - a two year $30 dollar subscription that gets you 20% off games at BB).
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

The Division is $12 today on amazon (maybe all week?)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Darn. I wish'd seen this when you posted it; it appears to have gone back up to $28.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

It's been on sale somewhere like every other week. We'll catch it soon.
erilar

Post by erilar »

I set up a wishlist at Cheap Ass Gamer, so I'm supposed to get emails for sales. Will let you guys know.

Also watching Diablo, SW Battlefront, Overwatch, and Borderlands Handson Edition.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Good call. Thanks Lance
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

The division is on sale on PSN:

$20 for the base game

$28 for the season pass

or

$36 for the gold edition (game + season pass)

Remember, season pass gets you Survival, which is like Escape from NY the video game :D I can't wait! Getting this tonight!
erilar

Post by erilar »

Hmm. This seems to be a good deal (but for a game I kinda didn't want). Normal price for Gold Ed is $90. Even just the season pass is normally $40.

Hmm...

Edit: watched some videos since the dumb dog woke me in the middle of the night. While the Survival mode looks okay, I don't think I'm $40 interested. If it drops to half that for the Gold Edition, I might bite.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

erilar wrote:Edit: watched some videos since the dumb dog woke me in the middle of the night. While the Survival mode looks okay, I don't think I'm $40 interested. If it drops to half that for the Gold Edition, I might bite.
No worries, I understand the hesitation. Especially with all the great games coming out in the next few weeks (Ghost Recon Wildlands, Mass Effect, Neir Automatia, The Nintendo Switch, new Zelda...). If you ever want to just give it a try we can log on together and you can watch my gameplay. I can even give you control of the game. (Mike and I have tried this before. It's pretty cool!)

I gave survival my first try this morning. I didn't get very far. I dropped in, read the tutorials, made a hat for a tiny bit of warmth, and headed into the storm. I moved from burn barrel to burn barrel trying to keep warm. About 2 minutes later I ran into my first group of thugs. I dropped one, but the second one dropped me. I used my lone healing kit to get back up and dropped the second one. Unfortunately I didn't see the other two guys in the yard who quickly killed me. Of course this short run netted me no rewards for the main game...

I'll do some more runs tonight. Hopefully I fare a bit better then! I love the gameplay though. It's like a rogue-like. Start with nothing... see how far you can get. Learn some stuff about how it all works. Then try again. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'd forgotten about Andromeda ... I think I need to save my pennies for that. (and that'll likely have a multiplayer mode, right?)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

NukeHavoc wrote:I'd forgotten about Andromeda ... I think I need to save my pennies for that. (and that'll likely have a multiplayer mode, right?)
I'm pretty sure.