The Mandalorian Wars: Galaxy at War

Our KOTOR campaign.
NukeHavoc

The Mandalorian Wars: Galaxy at War

Post by NukeHavoc »

When we return to Star Wars, I want to finish up the current "Corpse of Victory" storyline involving DeadStar Salvage and the lost Republic starships. After that, I'm thinking we'll jump into the Mandalorian Wars proper.

What do I mean by that?

Jump the timeline ahead 12 months. Taris has fallen. The atrocities of Cathar have been revealed to the galaxy by Malak the Revanchist. The revelation leads the Jedi Council on Coruscant to condone his call to war, and large numbers of Jedi join the conflict under the flag of Malak and his apprentice, Revan.

Everyone is now 11th level. Quest Fios' padawan his now halfway through is training. Folks can figure out where they were during the downtime (aiding Malak in his expedition to Cathar? Working to develop experimental new ships with BlasTech industries? Arguing with the Jedi on Dantooine and Coruscant?)

In terms of the campaign itself, I see this as a chance to move into new directions. My initial thought was to give our heroes command of an experimental Republic cruiser (the outfitting of which could have been overseen by Lanigiro and Zulen) and a small task force.

The cruiser would have a complement of starfighters, transports and ground troops (think a heavy cruiser or perhaps the equivalent of one of the early Star Destroyers from The Clone Wars). Adventures might consist of high-level commando raids led by the PCs, starship battles against Mando invaders, and perhaps a mass combat or two (depending on how we like the rules in actual play). And, of course, there's the matter of the Sith Ascendency that may need to be dealt with.

My thought is to move the campaign to a point where the PCs are in command, but not to have them get bogged down in bureaucracy (much more like the Clone Wars cartoon, where our heroes have their own adventures, but still have the resources of the republic to call on ...and get saluted a lot. :))

What do you think?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Re: The Mandalorian Wars: Galaxy at War

Post by setanta14 »

Works for me.

In general, naval commanders have always been given much more autonomy to conduct operations as they see fit due to lack of speedy communications, so not needing to get permission or approval for every detail of engagement would be nothing new.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:In general, naval commanders have always been given much more autonomy to conduct operations as they see fit due to lack of speedy communications, so not needing to get permission or approval for every detail of engagement would be nothing new.
Agreed. I'm thinking of something like the Master & Commander series, but with more of a special operations focus. Perhaps we could coax Highlife out of retirement to take command of the new experimental ship... :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Love the idea.

... and yes, perhaps Highlife will show up again. We'll see.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Love the idea.

... and yes, perhaps Highlife will show up again. We'll see.
I was thinking he could be there as the ranking NPC. I think it's a role that he'd fit pretty well, and that would leave you open to play your current pilot character (or some other character).
erilar

Post by erilar »

I like your ideas, Ken.

Cory, I still plan to make a gunslinger character as a sidekick to your new pilot.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer