When to restart Star Wars?

Our KOTOR campaign.
Fen's Ego

Re: When to restart Star Wars?

Post by Fen's Ego »

Gasp*cough*hack!
Please excuse me while I clear the spiderwebs from my profile:

When considering ship size, should we factor in passengers and transients (SILENCE, space hobo! I'm not talking about you!) As in, are we bringing younglings aboard for the long haul to train with the Jedi assigned to our ship? Only for short journeys to the nearest spaceport in their sector where we ferry them off with other Jedi sympathizers/field agents? Or are our Jedi personnel only looking to find a handful over the course of this assignment - the needle in the haystack? In short, is this Ender's Game, Firefly, or The Last Starfighter? Gross over simplifications all, but I need to know if I'll be bunking with a bunch of force brats.

Assuming I make it to the table Sunday, I'm staying away from the Noble/Scoundrel that was Gavin Two-Cups in Second Darkness and leaning toward Scout/Soldier. I'd be happy to work in a pilot background. Should be fun.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

The intent isn't to bring the younglings along and train them on the ship. The training portions are for the master(s) and Padawan assigned to the ship/mission. That said its a mission on the fridnge of space so there will likely be younglings on the ship waiting a return to more civilized space.

So expect more firefly. The party will be playing the doc, river, and Shepard book. New to the crew, but with oportunity to make it their home as well.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Question: Does anyone want to play a Jedi? If that's case should I downplay that part of the campaign? I had thought there would be a few Jedi among the group... but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. There are plenty of other things BT could have you guys doing. :twisted:
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I think Nate was going to play a Jedi?

Edit: or not...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

I decided against Jedi, I couldn't come up with a plausible reason why they would be so closely related to a commercial concern on a regular basis.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:I decided against Jedi, I couldn't come up with a plausible reason why they would be so closely related to a commercial concern on a regular basis.
I was thinking Binary Transport's long standing informal relationship with the Jedi on Zebulon Beta would be sufficient reason for that, particularly given the scarcity of resources and the need for allies during the Mandalorian Wars.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I was thinking of a few different Force Sensitive characters:

Traditional Jedi, fiercely independent and distrustful of the Order as a whole. Build toward a 'Grey Jedi' path.

Force User from a different tradition. Maybe someone from Dathomir?

A Force Sensitive character of a different class who will never become a Jedi but will Use the Force to enhance his other class abilities.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

setanta14 wrote:I decided against Jedi, I couldn't come up with a plausible reason why they would be so closely related to a commercial concern on a regular basis.
So I had the crawl drafted up this morning... but the boards seem to have eaten it. I wanted to get it posted to clarify this issue, but it will have to wait until I can re-write it tonight.

So to sum up, I have the Jedi's reason worked into the backstory. The Jedi have hired BT (and other companies in other sectors) to fly around the fringes of space and collect younglings to protect them from the war. Not because the jedi want more numbers at this point... but because they don't want to lose younglings they've already located to the ravages of war. To accomplish this there is a Jedi Master assigned to the BT ship. Anyone who wants to play a Jedi will be padawan assigned to this Master and his mission. Eventually, it may even become the players mission as the Master moves on. We'll see where the campaign goes.

If the party doesn't have any Jedi I can downplay that role for the BT ship. I'm certainly ok with going more Firefly with this campaign. However, feel free to play a Jedi if you'd like! I'll give you reasons to stay onboard.

That said, don't feel like you need to change characters if you like this new one Nate. Just want to make sure you have the whole background.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

So timeline-wise, are you thinking that this will take place during the Malek and Reven-led counter-offensive against the Mandalorians? That's approximately where we left off. Based on your comments about protecting the younglings from the war I kinda assume the Mandalorian War is still on but I figured I'd double check.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

NukeHavoc wrote:So timeline-wise, are you thinking that this will take place during the Malek and Reven-led counter-offensive against the Mandalorians? That's approximately where we left off. Based on your comments about protecting the younglings from the war I kinda assume the Mandalorian War is still on but I figured I'd double check.
I thought we were looking at somewhere before Forcequake... but after works fine. Could even lead to cool crisis of faith moments between Jedi. Lets go with that!