First game

Our KOTOR campaign.
Hardcorhobbs

First game

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Did you guys play? If so what happened? Finally getting back to the swing of things post holiday rush!
NukeHavoc

Re: First game

Post by NukeHavoc »

So three months later, I remembered this post.

It went well. Our heroes were seeking to rescue Jedi padawans who'd gone to ground on a world that had been hit by Mandalorians. We were a bit rusty, but I think overall folks enjoyed it and would definitely be up for more of it.

Are you still interested in running some Star Wars?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Cool! I thought maybe it wasn't as enjoyable this time or something. Yeah, I'd be interested. Next few weeks are busy but I can start digging my notes back out to polish things up.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Cool! I thought maybe it wasn't as enjoyable this time or something. Yeah, I'd be interested. Next few weeks are busy but I can start digging my notes back out to polish things up.
Understood. There were only a few of us there for that one (Damon, Nate, and I IIRC) but it was easy to fall back into the Saga Edition groove. It's less streamlined than D&D 5e, but nothing about it made my brain hurt. :)

It was interesting going from having played Fantasy Flight's Star Wars back to Saga Edition; the FFG version is inherently more narrative in its mechanics (though a lot of that narrative is interpreting the dice and then winging the results, which could get a old over time). One thing I particularly liked were the Force dice which were common dice that anyone could add to the pool. They're represented by white (light side) or black (dark side) disks. If a player adds a Light side die to their pool, it flips and becomes a Dark side die that the DM can use. As a result there's this natural ebb and flow to the Light and Dark side in the episode as that pool transitions. IIRC the initial mix of the dice is random, so you could go into the game with the pool entirely Dark side (but then you know it'll come back around to you later in the game).

The thing I like about Saga is the thing I always liked about Saga, which was the customization. Yeah, stuff's scattered through a bunch of books, but the tool kit approach is something I'd really like to see them do more of with 5e; hopefully the second wave of core releases (if we every get them) will add more of that.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

One of the things I really like about Saga seems to have found its way into 5th edition. That's the fact that level one is still dangerous.

By that I mean in older editions, you never fought kobolds after about level 3. By level 10 you were a god against them. They couldn't hope to scratch you. But with saga things changed. A level 1 critical blaster shot could still take down a level 10 character. It's much less likely with more hit-points and gear... but still a possibility. Fifth seems to have done this as well. It just feels to me a bit better balanced. A handful of kobolds with critical hits could still cause a bit of trouble to a 10th level character.

So I'm definitely excited to play it again. I have some ideas I'll post in the planning thread.