Second Darkness Campaign Startup

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Second Darkness Campaign Startup

Post by NukeHavoc »

We'll be using the Standard Fantasy point buy (15 points). Each character gets two traits (one campaign, one general) from the Second Darkness Companion and begins with max starting gold. Traits are essentially mini-feats -- each one grants a bonus equal to about half of a normal feat.

All characters start at 1st level.

You can find further campaign startup information in this thread of the Logistics subforum:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3759&p=31454
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Re: Second Darkness Campaign Startup

Post by NukeHavoc »

I finished reading through the first book of Second Darkness. The start of the campaign is reminiscent of the early days of the Blackrazor Guild or Dark City (more the former than the latter) and is heavily oriented toward urban adventuring at the start. It's also reminiscent of the city of Greyhawk, so characters that fit in there would fit in well in Riddleport.

The Second Darkness Companion offers some ideas on how to incorporate your character into the campaign. I haven't ready the next book yet, so I can't offer advice on how things shake out, but you will spend considerable time in Riddleport before heading out into the larger world.

What's everyone thinking of playing?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Given the nature of the campaign, probably an elf. Leaning towards a sorc/rogue, since that is a class combo I never played in 3e. Probably sneaky like.

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Lars Porsenna wrote:Given the nature of the campaign, probably an elf. Leaning towards a sorc/rogue, since that is a class combo I never played in 3e. Probably sneaky like.
I think that's a good combo, particularly for this campaign (which I assume will include a fair amount of delving and arcane work, in addition to urban adventuring).
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I have to look at the campaign info and a Pathfinder PHB but some sort of good aligned cleric. Perhaps multi-classed with Rogue or Ranger. Dunno what the gods are like yet. :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:I have to look at the campaign info and a Pathfinder PHB but some sort of good aligned cleric. Perhaps multi-classed with Rogue or Ranger. Dunno what the gods are like yet. :)
There's Cayden Cailean, who's the ascended god of bravery, freedom and alcohol. If I remember correctly, there's an artifact in Golarion that individuals can enter in order to be tested for godhood. Almost no one survives the process, but Cayden -- your classic adventurer-type -- did it on a drunken lark ... and succeeded. Might be a better god for Nate though (chaos + beer = godhood!)
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Rogue, probably multi-classing with Fighter and/or Ranger
NukeHavoc wrote:What's everyone thinking of playing?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

So it looks like I can play, essentially a trithereonite!! :D godess Milani, prestige class of Liberator. :P
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

I will probably roll up an elven cleric / ranger of Desna.
The 1961 Ferrari 250GT California. Less than a hundred were made. My father spent three years restoring this car. It is his love, it is his passion.

It is his fault he didn't lock the garage.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

T1Mirage wrote:I will probably roll up an elven cleric / ranger of Desna.
I think this would be good. Two gods dedicated to freedom should fit in well in the fight against the drow. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:So it looks like I can play, essentially a trithereonite!! :D godess Milani, prestige class of Liberator. :P
Yeah, that's got "Bob" written all over it.
T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

What about you Lance?

Is anyone else joining us?
The 1961 Ferrari 250GT California. Less than a hundred were made. My father spent three years restoring this car. It is his love, it is his passion.

It is his fault he didn't lock the garage.
erilar

Post by erilar »

T1Mirage wrote:What about you Lance?
Yes, I definitely want to play. I am still reading through the Second Darkness intro doc, and probably still want to glance through the gazetteer before deciding on a character.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

For the first session, I was thinking of borrowing a page from Dark City and running the prequel adventure as a series of vingettes focusing on each character's background. Much of Second City's first adventure is built around getting the PCs together, so I don't want to run that until the official Sunday kickoff in september.

But I think having some quick encounters that tie into each person's background could be cool. If folks could pick their background and post them by Wednesday (assuming you're playing Friday) then I'll come up with something for your character. Otherwise I'll wing it on Friday. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

I'm currently leaning towards a gnome druid (or perhaps sorcerer).
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer