Ch. 1, Interlude 2: The Daily Grind

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Ch. 1, Interlude 2: The Daily Grind

Post by NukeHavoc »

After several weeks on the job (the weeks leading up to the Cheat the Devil Tourney, followed by the events of Interlude 1), things start to settle into a routine at the Gold Goblin.

At night the gambling hall isn't exactly packed, but there are sizable crowds attracted by word of mouth, reasonable drink prices, well-run tables, and nearly twice the number of "succubi" that Saul had working the night of Cheat the Devil. "Brilliant idea, brilliant!" he says in an aside to Skender. "My brains, your contacts -- we'll go far together my boy!"

An ongoing disappointment is the Octahedron -- the fighting pits in the gambling hall's basement. The small crowd's cheer on the hall's motley selection of dogs, monkeys and a crazed boar, but they're nothing compared to the numbers that fights featuring more exotic creatures get at other establishments.

The mornings used to be about cleaning up after the previous night's excesses. That's still the case, but now an informal group gathers for what's become known as "The Captains' Tea". As the servants scrub the floors and mop up the previous night's spills, the sound of chanting and exotic music fills the air. Captains from half a dozen sailing ships meet in the hall for morning tea with Jheru, talking about their ports of call, rumors in the city, and strange lands they've seen.

Of particular note was a tidal surge that hit Riddleport's harbor two days earlier. The uncharacteristically large wave caused minor damage as ships were pushed against the piers and boardwalks strained under the sudden pressure. Water from the wave reached Wharf Street, and several stevedores and beachcombers were washed out to sea and lost.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Re: Interlude 2: The Daily Grind

Post by NukeHavoc »

In reverence of Iro-Shu (Irori), Jheru will suggest to Saul that maybe a no-weapons, boxing/fighting type exhibition (which of course could be bet on) be staged at the Gold Goblin. If Saul agrees, Jheru would also spread the word about this, again focusing on some of the more affluent districts (Windward, Devil's Fork, Lubbertown, Leeward), perhaps focusing separately on the gendarmes (trying to convince them to show their strength) and those who are in opposition to them (enforcers from some of the crimelords, controllers of Lubbertown). (Diplomacy, Intimidate for tai chi type displays, etc.)
Saul loves this idea. Make a Diplomacy check to spread the news to the affluent districts (perhaps through the attendees of the Captains' Tea?) and Intimidate to impress the skeptical gendarmes.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

If folks have a chance to respond before the game tomorrow, I'll reply and we'll have a second check profession check on the Gold Goblin's profitability. If not, we'll pick up here on Sunday.

And no worries Bob -- we will have combat too. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Phil is going to continue in his duties as a cheater-detector. He will cast Detect Magic (level 0) frequently, and walk around the gaming floor, greeting patrons and being friendly, while simultaneously keeping a magically-augmented eye out for trouble. He will also take every opportunity to flirt (in his usual corny, clumsy, overt, but innocently sincere approach) with Samaritha and any attractive female patrons.

Perception: 2 plus my roll of 5 = 7
Diplomacy: 1 plus my roll of 8 = 9
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Phil is going to continue in his duties as a cheater-detector. He will cast Detect Magic (level 0) frequently, and walk around the gaming floor, greeting patrons and being friendly, while simultaneously keeping a magically-augmented eye out for trouble. He will also take every opportunity to flirt (in his usual corny, clumsy, overt, but innocently sincere approach) with Samaritha and any attractive female patrons.

Perception: 2 plus my roll of 5 = 7
Diplomacy: 1 plus my roll of 8 = 9
Phil tried his best to catch the cheats and flirt with the girls, but it’s just his luck that a band of female con artists decided to make their move on the Gold Goblin this week. Beautiful, smart and oh so witty, they laughed at his jokes, admired his tattoos, and generally made him feel like the center of the universe … causing him to completely miss their card-counting, slight-of-hand and outright flirtatious cheating.

By the time Samararitha realized something was a miss, the con artists were already on their way out the door, and Phil was covered in blue lipstick. The cyphermage-in-training was disappointed and hurt by this turn of events. “Really, Phillymondiuspartigan Jones … I thought you were different” she said and stormed off to her room, where she stayed door-locked and unresponsive, for the rest of the day.

The caper by the Blue Lipstick Gang cost the hall 88 gp. Because you rolled 5 below the target DC, this will count against Saul’s check for the week (but it sure was amusing. :))
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

NukeHavoc wrote:
In reverence of Iro-Shu (Irori), Jheru will suggest to Saul that maybe a no-weapons, boxing/fighting type exhibition (which of course could be bet on) be staged at the Gold Goblin. If Saul agrees, Jheru would also spread the word about this, again focusing on some of the more affluent districts (Windward, Devil's Fork, Lubbertown, Leeward), perhaps focusing separately on the gendarmes (trying to convince them to show their strength) and those who are in opposition to them (enforcers from some of the crimelords, controllers of Lubbertown). (Diplomacy, Intimidate for tai chi type displays, etc.)
Saul loves this idea. Make a Diplomacy check to spread the news to the affluent districts (perhaps through the attendees of the Captains' Tea?) and Intimidate to impress the skeptical gendarmes.

Jheru speaks with the attendees at the Captains' Tea one morning, subtly working the conversation around to the Teas themselves, and the various times the attendees have enjoyed themselves at the Gold Goblin, in order to remind them of the worthwhile time they have already invested in the establishment. He will talk of tests of strength, and wrestling/boxing/dueling matches that have entered tales of legend from his home land and other places he has traveled to and/or they have discussed at the Teas. He will share the idea, giving credit to Saul for envisioning it, of such exhibitions here at the Gold Goblin, and broach the subject of the Captains perhaps entering champions from their crews, or they shipping companies/interests they represent, to compete in such a bout, strictly for honor and bragging rights, and possibly a little coin to be had as well.

Diplomacy check for this: 18 + 5 = 23

Jheru will also continue his wanderings around the city, spending much of his time in the wealthier, more affluent districts, talking with passersby about events at the Gold Goblin, the Tea Ceremonies, and all manner of other things. When in view of gendarmes, or Lubbertown enforcers, or the like, he will use his martial abilities to put on displays (for urchin children, passersby, etc.) to impress them with his prowess/fitness, etc. While doing so, he will talk so that the gendarmes etc. can hear about the tough sort of folks competing in the bouts at the Gold Goblin, trying to show that he needs to be so fit and able to compete. He will try not to be confrontational to the gendarmes and such, but if asked, he will indeed try to impress upon them his ability and the fact that they have the opportunity to try to best him and others in competition if they choose to participate, or send their 'best men' to act as the champions of their order, etc.

Intimidate check to do so: 18 + 0 = 18
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

... [Jheru] will talk of tests of strength, and wrestling/boxing/dueling matches that have entered tales of legend from his home land and other places he has traveled to and/or they have discussed at the Teas. He will share the idea, giving credit to Saul for envisioning it, of such exhibitions here at the Gold Goblin, and broach the subject of the Captains perhaps entering champions from their crews...
“Why we’ll have a decent display of fistcuffs in this town yet!” declared Carlo Dalsine, captain of the Windseer. My master of arms is an expert with blade, bow and fist. He’ll carry the banner for Taldor … and the arena on the day of the fight!”

“You and yours are welcome to try my friend! I think that day will be golden … both for goblins and for griffons” boasted Samuel Benedict, captain of the Gold Griffon. “I’ve got a midshipman with fists like sledgehammers. He’ll land a blow for democracy, I promise you.” The excited talk continued around the table as the other captains bragged and speculated on who might win the fight.

The event soon has a name: The Triton Championship. The captains talk amongst themselves, and decide that the winner should receive a masterwork trident as a symbol of their prowess, as well as a small coin purse. Dalsine volunteers to pay for the trident, and Saul (of course) agrees to provide the purse.

They are clearly excited about the prospect of the fight, and are eager to spread the word among the rest of the ships in the port. A date is set for that Friday, with the fights to be held in the center of the Gold Goblin’s great hall (the Octohedron, sticking of piss and feces, was considered in appropriate for such a cultured exhibition).
... When in view of gendarmes, or Lubbertown enforcers, or the like, he will use his martial abilities to put on displays (for urchin children, passersby, etc.) to impress them with his prowess/fitness, etc...
The gendarmes are more skeptical of the competition. Word has been getting around town about it, and it seems like a rich man’s game. But Jheru’s demonstrations and reassurances convince a few that the event might be worth their while.
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote:“Really, Phillymondiuspartigan Jones … I thought you were different” she said and stormed off to her room, where she stayed door-locked and unresponsive, for the rest of the day.

The caper by the Blue Lipstick Gang cost the hall 88 gp. Because you rolled 5 below the target DC, this will count against Saul’s check for the week (but it sure was amusing. :))
Haha - good lord! Good thing Jheru is doing well! :D
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:
NukeHavoc wrote:“Really, Phillymondiuspartigan Jones … I thought you were different” she said and stormed off to her room, where she stayed door-locked and unresponsive, for the rest of the day.

Haha - good lord! Good thing Jheru is doing well! :D
Jheru will console Phil by offering him some tea (Jasmine is especially nice for periods of reflection on matters of the heart). He will point out that while Samaritha is currently upset with him, it *was* just a misunderstanding, and furthermore she did in fact get his name right, his *entire* first name, mind you, and for folks not of the gnomish persuasion that certainly has to count for something, now doesn't it. ;)

Also, he will point out to all (over some honey-infused monkey-picked black tea, of course) that this Blue Lipstick Caper, while certainly something we want to discourage in the future, was much less... violent that previous altercations in the Gold Goblin, and has an element of humor in it that may still help paint a more... inviting image of the gambling hall to the general public, if presented from the right point-of-view. For example, perhaps Skender could have some of his... associates dress as Blue Lipstick bandits instead of succubi some evenings, and give the patrons the thrill of gaming with/against such... intriguing scoundrels. Just an idea... more tea? ;)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

End of Week 2

Jheru +2
Phil -1
Skender +1
Saul's Profession (Gambler) +6

Die roll: 12 + 3 + 6 = 21

The Triton Championship is generating tremendous buzz along Riddleport's water front, and even the city's gendarmes have been heard talking about who might win after three barracks put forward their own champion. That leads to increased foot traffic at the Gold Goblin in anticipation of the event. It overshadows news of the "Blue Lipstick Gang" successfully hitting the gambling hall, but even this seems to be taken as an amusing event, rather than a threatening one.

With this check, the Gold Goblin's Profit Rating increases by 1. Everyone's weekly pay increases to 15 gp per week (meaning you all get paid 15 GP this week).

Everyone in the party gets 200 xp for reaching this milestone. Jheru, Phil and Skender get an additional 100 xp for their contributions.
setanta14

Re: Ch. 2, Interlude 2: The Daily Grind

Post by setanta14 »

Almost Level Dance?
380 from previous adventures +300 each from week 1 and 2= 980
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

setanta14 wrote:Almost Level Dance?
Ken's got you at less than that on the sheet (just 200 from week 1), but either way, yeah, some of us are close, and might level with you tonight. :)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Ken, not sure how you plan on handling the Triton Championship, but the d20pfsrd has rules for duels and for performance combat that might help/be interesting to use...
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:Ken, not sure how you plan on handling the Triton Championship, but the d20pfsrd has rules for duels and for performance combat that might help/be interesting to use...
I haven't seen those, but I'll take a look if I have time.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:Almost Level Dance?
The first week was 200, not 300, so you're at 880 (the extra 100 was for hitting your first Profit Rating bump at the Goblin)

Ken