Ch 8, Interlude 5: The Skyfall Aftermath

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Ch 8, Interlude 5: The Skyfall Aftermath

Post by NukeHavoc »

The aftermath of the meteorite’s crash to earth, and the subsequent tidal wave that smashed into Riddleport, is still being felt. Several ships in the harbor were destroyed outright; those which survived all suffered damage. Hundreds are dead, drowned by the rapidly rising water, crushed by the debris it carried, or swept out to see as the lightning flood receded.

Still, there is a sense of excitement that overlays the disaster’s horror. Fishermen returning from sea report that the meteorite crashed into an island known as Devil’s Elbow. That means that their might be valuable skymetal on the island, just waiting for industrious souls to recover and profit from.

Many in Riddleport – from crimelords to prirates to the dwarves that run the Gaslight Furnaces -- are now scrambling to mount expeditions to recover the metal. Foremost among these is Clegg Zincher, a crimelord who’s eager to become even more wealthy and powerful by securing the skymetal. To this end, he has asked his new-found allies – the former junior partners of the Gold Goblin – to join him in exploring the island.

Still, it will take several days for the ships to be ready, and in the meantime there is much to do in the city.

Samaritha Beldusk has learned that she has been admitted to the Cypher Guild as an apprentice. She happily explains to her good friend Phillymondiuspartigan Jones, that she’ll be joining her new master on an expedition to Devil’s Elbow to study the skyfall event first hand.

Kwava, the elven ranger who was investigating Saul Vancaskerkin, is amazed – and worried – by the tales the fallen crimelord told of the purple-skinned elf who had been bankrolling him and apparently trying to drill samples from the Cypher Gate, which apparently descends beneath the surface of the earth, making it more of a “Cypher Ring”. He is eager to find this elf’s lair and see what else can be discovered about her mission in Riddleport.

Phillymondiuspartigan Jones is far more excited by this revelation than he is of the news of some strange new elf. It could be the discovery of the century … and guarantee his own place in the Order of Cyphers!

The Gold Goblin is rudderless. Saul's gang is still in control of it, but the man himself is in Clegg's custody. Rumor has it the deed to the gambling hall might be found in Saul's office safe...

What do you do next? We can either play this out online or it can be the substance of Sunday’s game. (or both – I just need to figure out what we’re doing next.)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Re: Ch 8, Interlude 5: The Skyfall Aftermath

Post by setanta14 »

Skender is in no hurry to be tied down to running the Gold Goblin now that he has had the taste of real adventure, but he would consult with the priestesses of Calistria to see if the "church" has any interest in the building. Knowing that it has links to tunnels filled with trogs, purple elves, and other nasty sorts, he'd just assume let Saul's guys have it (or whatever Clegg's plans are, since Saul is in his custody).

Having lived in Riddleport all his life, Skender is more than a little intrigued at the possibility that the Cyphergate might extend deep beneath the harbor (and go all the way around). He may look into the possibility of some arcane tutoring, not necessarily as a spellcaster, but to learn more about the glyphs, magical affects, other languages, etc. The attention the "purple" elf was rumored to have been showing the Cyphergate also interests him, so depending on what Kwava may be up for recon-wise, that could be a possibility.

He'll also look into prepping for the sea voyage for Clegg, trying to become familiar with the ship, getting it outfitted, checking out maps and the sort.

Any Knowledge (Local) to be had on the island where we're going? Roll is 19.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Jheru is interested in the outcome of the Goblin. He doesn't think it should fall to the rag-tag gang that has it now. He thinks instead that we as a group should go in, locate the deed, and take possession of the building. Maybe put up some "closed for renovations - under new management" signs for the time being.

Perhaps the Goblin could also temporarily be outfitted as an aid station/hostel for those suffering in the aftermath of the tidal event. Perhaps with the help of the Calistrians, or some other group from the city.

Jheru is a little concerned that it fall into Clegg's hand, even though Clegg has done right by us, as that would add to his considerable holdings and power.

He thinks that maybe, just as an idea, we could use the Goblin as Phil's entry into the Cyphermages Guild - you know, give them info about the Gate being a Ring, allow them to use the Goblin as a base camp to mount underground expeditions to study the Ring, etc.

As for the elf, if Kwava is concerned, that makes Jheru concerned as well. Perhaps investigating that further, with the help of whomever ends up running the Goblin would be a good thing to plan for.

And, finally, as a traveler and explorer already, Jheru is certainly open to the idea of joining a trip to the island in search of skymetal - either with Clegg, the Cyphermages, or whomever.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Setting up the Gold Goblin as a temporary hospital, and then an arcane research field post isn't a bad idea, the Calistrians might be ok with helping with that. Orphans (especially of the teenage girl sort) need Skender's help.

Helping Kwava find where the purple elf is, and where she was making drillings, etc. into the Cyphergate seems like the most interesting prospect so far towards Skender gaining an arcane/linguitics education- by luring cyphermages to him!

Then there's always setting the place up as a danger-room-kill-house for rogue training :-)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Tholyr has been studying the ways of nature with Kwava. He's interested in finding the sky metal but much more interested in the strange elf and the bottom of the Cyphergate. The sky metal is probably the more pressing issue though.

To that end he will try and find out info about Devil's Elbow and the bay in general.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Yeah, the more that Jheru thinks about it, the more he is in favor of taking control of the Goblin. Keep our secret safe house as just that (the emergency fall back hideout), and make the Goblin our base of operations. Stop daily operations for now, set up an aid shelter in the front, and begin delves into the area below to find the elf and the Ring.

Depending on how long it takes to make happen, we could get established in the Goblin, and get a trustworthy/competent staff in place. Then, join one of the sea-faring quests after the skymetal. Then, upon our return, begin tackling what's under the Goblin in earnest.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Also, there is still the lingering question of what happened to the Blot, and if that is connected to anything that has transpired of late (either in the underground or with the skymetal falling).
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Kwava is eager to learn more of this strange elf. "My friends, this is exactly what I was looking for! This elf with the -- purple? truly? -- skin ... is most strange. My superiors instructed me to look for Saul's secret backer ... I am beginning to think they knew this is what I might find. So odd..."

"Superiors? Why yes, I have superiors. Have I not spoken of them before? I am part of the Shin'Rakorath, it is an adventuring company of sorts. They are based in Crying Leaf, a town on the edge of the Mierani Forest. I am only a new recruit, but with this I can not help but hope that I might rise among their ranks. They have a most noble motto -- "to stand as a light against the coming darkness" -- poetic is it not?"

"There is a darkness in those tunnels, and not one created by a lack of light. It is one that I feel obligated to investigate."
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

To be clear: You will need to seize the Gold Goblin, through force or good conversation. :) Right now Saul's thugs know that there was a fight in the tunnels, and that someone carried him off, but they don't know much beyond that.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

NukeHavoc wrote:To be clear: You will need to seize the Gold Goblin, through force or good conversation. :) Right now Saul's thugs know that there was a fight in the tunnels, and that someone carried him off, but they don't know much beyond that.
Oh, understood. I think it necessary and important to begin there. Jheru feels pretty confident in the group's ability to make it so. :)
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

So, the plan is?:

1. Seize the Gold Goblin itself, through force or negotiation.

2. Make safe the tunnels beneath, either by capturing, killing, or driving off the purple elf/trogs/undead/demons/etc.

3. Set up a hospice/HQ in the front, and perhaps charge Cyphermages for access to below for research, using the income to support the hospice.

4. Meanwhile, prepare for the sea voyage to locate the skymetal.

Hurry, before Skender loses his all of a sudden altruistic mood...
erilar

Post by erilar »

Phil's main interest lies in the examination, and if warranted, extended research on the subterranean portions of the Cypher Gate (Ring?). However, as the underground currently offers dangers beyond his own martial prowess, he can not do so alone. As such, he is very relieved that some of his friends seem interested in this pursuit as well. Kwava and Tholyr's reasons for exploring the tunnels also parallel nicely.

As such, securing the Goblin seems like a great first step. Jheru's idea to use the Goblin as a refugee hospital and a base camp to the tunnels sounds great. This is a much better use of the place than letting yet another gangster take it over. Involving the Calistans seems very logical if they are willing, as is funding the makeshift hospital by eventually charging the Cyphermages access to the tunnels.

While Phil is excited to begin exploring underground post-haste, he is willing to attend the expedition to search for the meteor. He believes that there may be something special about this particular meteor, and that it may be tied to the Blot and perhaps the activities of the purple elf Lady.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

Thanks, Nate - I had known this existed, but hadn't been planning towards the pre-reqs. I re-jiggered my level 3 gains to go towards this class.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

So will there be any down time while we're prepping for (I'm guessing) the meteor expedition? Phil would like to try his hand at preparing some scrolls.

Edit: Alternately, is there enough time for us to seize the Goblin before the sea voyage? I was thinking that if we explained our intentions to the Calistans, maybe they would lend us some martial/spiritual aid in taking over the Goblin?
Last edited by erilar on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.