Chapter 14, Interlude 7: Rust on the Wind

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
setanta14

Re: Chapter 14, Interlude 7: Rust on the Wind

Post by setanta14 »

1. Take out the sea monster while we're still in town, if practicable, using a combo of techniques (poison, big nets, long pointy sharp things, magic)

2. Take out the dragon as we make our way out towards The Nolands, as it seems to be harrowing river traffic along the Velashu River

3. Take out the Ulfen bandits harrassing the Velashu Uplands

4. Find and explore the Citadel of Rust

Sound like a plan? (Not that we'll keep to it anyway)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Sounds like a plan.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
erilar

Post by erilar »

Sounds good!
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

Ken - you had mentioned the possibilities of purchasing additional spells from vendors. What would be the cost/availability?

After completing his research, Phil will spend some time before our adventure tonight searching for some new spells. He will start with the quartermaster at the Cypher Guild, and otherwise ask other guild mages where else he might purchase spells in the city.

Also, Phil and Samaritha attempt again to identify the Blitzo! wand via Detect Magic and Spellcraft. Phil's chance is d20 + 15. (The DC is 15 + the item's caster level.)
Last edited by erilar on Sun May 20, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Ken - you had mentioned the possibilities of purchasing additional spells from vendors. What would be the cost/availability?

After completing his research, Phil will spend some time before our adventure tonight searching for some new spells. He will start with the quartermaster at the Cypher Guild, and otherwise ask other guild mages where else he might purchase spells in the city.
What spells are you looking to buy? The Order of Cyphers is a good place to start, though their spells focus on divination, abjuration, enchantment, and universalist schools.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote: What spells are you looking to buy? The Order of Cyphers is a good place to start, though their spells focus on divination, abjuration, enchantment, and universalist schools.
Depends on how much they cost - I can't find any rules about that.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Depends on how much they cost - I can't find any rules about that.
It's covered here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Writi ... a-Spellboo

Apparently copying costs a lot less in Pathfinder than it did in D&D. (and here's a good thread discussing purchasing spells: http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy ... pells.html)

Here are the relavant bits; the most import part is that you need to make a skill check to copy the spell.
A wizard can also add a spell to his book whenever he encounters one on a magic scroll or in another wizard’s spellbook. No matter what the spell’s source, the wizard must first decipher the magical writing (see Arcane Magical Writings). Next, he must spend 1 hour studying the spell. At the end of the hour, he must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell’s level). A wizard who has specialized in a school of spells gains a +2 bonus on the Spellcraft check if the new spell is from his specialty.
The cost per spell is:
Level / Scribe Cost / Total

0 - 5 - 7.5
1 - 10 - 15
2 - 40 - 60
3 - 90 - 120
4 - 160 - 240
5 - 250 - 375
6 - 360 - 540
7 - 490 - 735
8 - 640 - 960
9 - 810 - 1,215
Note that this is just the baseline; some spells may cost more by GM decree. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote:What spells are you looking to buy? The Order of Cyphers is a good place to start, though their spells focus on divination, abjuration, enchantment, and universalist schools.
Okay - in that case, here are the spells that Phil is looking for:

1st level:
Enchantment
  • Charm Person
Evocation
  • Shocking Grasp
    Burning Hands
Illusion
  • Illusion of Calm
2nd level:
Conjuration
  • Stone Call (OP - needs adjusted down)
Divination
  • Detect Thoughts
Enchantment
  • Hideous Laughter
    Touch of Idiocy
Evocation
  • Admonishing Ray
    Burning Arc
    Spontaneous Immolation
Illusion
  • Haunting Mists
    Invisibility
    Disguise Other
Necromancy
  • Blindness/Deafness
    Scare
Transmutation
  • Knock
    Rope Trick
    Spider Climb
3rd Level:
Evocation
  • Lightning Bolt
    Diamond Spray
    Daylight
Illusion
  • Loathsome Veil
    Invisibility Sphere
    Major Image
Transmutation
  • F.L.Y.
I know this is a lot, and that time is limited (both Phil's in-game and your own). Perhaps a quick random roll (artificially lowered due to lack of searching time) to see if some of them are available, with a bonus if divination, abjuration, or enchantment?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

That is quite a list. I'll see what I can do.

Just as a reminder to the group, you also have a spell book in your possession:

http://wiki.griffcrier.com/index.php?ti ... f_Vatharis
erilar

Post by erilar »

Phil and Samarintha are also trying to determine the identity of the Blisto! wand. Phil's chance is d20+15 (DC is 15 + item creator level).

Also, if enough time is left after research and spell-shopping, Phil is going to try to create his first wand - will need about a day, perhaps two.
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote:That is quite a list. I'll see what I can do.
Yep, understood. Perhaps spell shopping can wait for the next interlude - we've already been pretty busy. (This is more me getting organized for eventual wants.)

BTW, Phil made his rolls a while back to learn the spells that he wanted out of Ooze-Food's spellbook.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Okay - in that case, here are the spells that Phil is looking for:
There's another restriction on spellbooks -- they are 100 pages long, with each spell taking up one page per level (even cantrips take up one page each). A new book costs 15 gp (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/equipment.html) and has 100 blank pages. Not a big deal, but something useful to keep track of. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Phil and Samarintha are also trying to determine the identity of the Blisto! wand. Phil's chance is d20+15 (DC is 15 + item creator level).
Blisto! casts Gust of Wind (CL5, 13 charges remaining)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

The Order has the following spells within its stacks:

* Detect Thoughts
* Hideous Laughter
* Knock
* Rope Trick
* Spider Climb
* Charm Person
* Fly
* Major Image
* Touch of Idiocy

You find an out-of-the-way spell shop called Libris Ex Spellborn. It is owned by Thovius Spellborn, a Cheliaxan expatriate who is rumored to be a "retired" member of their military ("retired" means he's always got one eye over his shoulder looking for assassins ... or so it's said). He's a master of military tactics and invocation spells, and you are able to find copies of the following spells among the stacks in his shop:

* Shocking Grasp
* Burning Hands
* Lightning Bolt

A bunch of the spells you listed are from non-core sources so I'll need to read-up on those later this week.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Thanks for the extra work, Ken.

Shifting topics, what kind of mic do you have available for Cyber-Jon? Wondering if we might not want to invest in a omni-directional USB mic? Also, is your MacBook in working condition? Saw some posts to the contrary on FaceBook.