Chapter 14, Interlude 7: Rust on the Wind

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Re: Chapter 14, Interlude 7: Rust on the Wind

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:Ken, do you have any of the Rise of the Runelords series? #3 (Hook Mountain Masacre) has a lot of material on the Velashu Uplands, etc.
Yes, I have the first three Runelord books, which have proven quite useful for this part of the campaign. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

I'm waiting to get them until July when they are releasing the whole series updated to PFRPG as a 5th Anniversary Edition.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

PS- Brinewall is a mysterious ruin of an old sea fortress
NukeHavoc wrote:Gorwrack
The black dragon Gorwrack has been preying on river boats and caravans traveling between Riddleport and Brinewall on the Velashu River.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:PS- Brinewall is a mysterious ruin of an old sea fortress
Correct. For our purposes I'm using it as an overland reference point; actually trade would be going further north to the Land of the Linnorm Kings.

ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:I'm waiting to get them until July when they are releasing the whole series updated to PFRPG as a 5th Anniversary Edition.
I got them as compensation when Dragon and Dungeon were cancelled.

[moment of silence]
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:Jheru agrees with Skender - we should do something to address the riverbeast - possibly the poisoned bait route - but we may want to make sure and not just hope it gets poisoned. To that end, Jheru will seek out an alchemist in Riddleport to stock up on some sundries he can use as projectile weapons - acid, fire, etc. (In fact, Jheru may consider learning some alchemy down the road to make his own supplies, perhaps.)
So is it safe to say that the group plans to take on the Tentacled Horror for Sunday's game, then move on to other targets of opportunity?
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Sounds good to me... I also thought of another method to deal with it: heavy netting strung between two ships. Maybe Jheru could convince a few of the captains to help take this on, as I'm sure having a sea monster in the harbor is bad for the shipping business.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

setanta14 wrote:Sounds good to me... I also thought of another method to deal with it: heavy netting strung between two ships. Maybe Jheru could convince a few of the captains to help take this on, as I'm sure having a sea monster in the harbor is bad for the shipping business.

Definitely.

I'm sure Jheru can talk to the captains and see if anyone has any ships in their fleet, not their flagship vessels mind you, that they could provide to assist with this endeavour.

In fact, he will discretely mention to Samuel Benedict that his new Teas could certainly benefit from the news that they are hosted by the man who provided us with the means to make the Harbor and river safe for commerce and seafaring again.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Jonkga wrote: To that end, Jheru will seek out an alchemist in Riddleport to stock up on some sundries he can use as projectile weapons - acid, fire, etc. (In fact, Jheru may consider learning some alchemy down the road to make his own supplies, perhaps.)
"Hmmm, now I wonder where you would find an Alchemist in this city? Hmm...." Kor taps his chin with a finger...

Also Kor is going to shop for a Portable Alchemists Lab. If there is space in the Gold Goblin, he'll also get a full-sized setup too.

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Lars Porsenna wrote:
Jonkga wrote: To that end, Jheru will seek out an alchemist in Riddleport to stock up on some sundries he can use as projectile weapons - acid, fire, etc. (In fact, Jheru may consider learning some alchemy down the road to make his own supplies, perhaps.)
"Hmmm, now I wonder where you would find an Alchemist in this city? Hmm...." Kor taps his chin with a finger...

Also Kor is going to shop for a Portable Alchemists Lab. If there is space in the Gold Goblin, he'll also get a full-sized setup too.

Damon.

OK. Well, then. Jheru will approach Kolandril with a list of supplies and items desired to see if you can craft lots of them. If not, he will also ask Korlandril to point him towards shops/merchants/alchemical craftpeople in the city for him to shop from as well.

:)
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

There is room, how about down in the now disused fighting pit?
Lars Porsenna wrote:If there is space in the Gold Goblin, he'll also get a full-sized setup too.
erilar

Post by erilar »

We could try Skender's poisoned cow bait idea (along with the nets, etc.) to weaken the monster and make it a little easier to manage. Just thinking that we shouldn't abandon that idea. Maybe something that would sap its strength, etc.

Phil can help with the History roll (10 plus roll of 9), but isn't very well trained in Geography.

For the research into the elves near the time of Earthfall:
History (10 plus roll of 5)
Arcana (10 plus roll of 13)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Phil can help with the History roll (10 plus roll of 9), but isn't very well trained in Geography.

For the research into the elves near the time of Earthfall:
History (10 plus roll of 5)
Arcana (10 plus roll of 13)
Earthfall

Phil finds little concrete about elven history from that time period. If the Cyphermages have such records, they're buried deep in the archives. Who cares about elves, when the gigantic relics left behind by the Runelords are *so* much more interesting.

There are several papers speculating on the nature of the elven "gates" which allowed them to leave Golarion ahead of Earthfall and travel to their far-off homeland of Sovyrian. The Order of Cyphers has never studied such a gate directly, so most of it is conjecture, but the believe the gate magic is not connected to rune magic; indeed it seems like the elf gates may have been tied to the intrinsic energy of the planet.

You do find a handful of crumbling, 2,000-year-old records from a group of adventurers who traveled to Celwynian before the Age of Enthronement (and the return of the elves) revealed the abandoned city preserved much as it was when the elves left. You are able to find a map of the city sketched by field researchers, as well as the key to it:

1. The Path of Fallen Shadows
2. The Library of Reenai
3. Verithes Park
4. The Festering Crater
5. Temple of Watchers
6. The Pavilion of Reason
7. Yuelral’s Rain
8. The Coliseum of Mask and Lyre
9. The Academy of the Arts
10. Vista of Visions
11. The Crystal Conservatory
12. The Fluted Goblet
13. The Garden of Eternal Ease
14. The Constellar Gallery
15. Ruined Tower
16. Raivanyiel Smithy
17. Emerald Bough
18. Miliaru Park

The descriptions of these areas are lost however.
Attachments
Map of Celwynvian
Map of Celwynvian
celwynvian.png (637.8 KiB) Viewed 5143 times
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

While Kor is out looking for Alchemist supplies, he's going to stop by an armorer and pick up a suit of leather armor. He's also going to offer anyone in the party the Bracers of Armor +1 he has, as he no longer needs them...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

A Fishing Expedition

In the late afternoon Jheru pays a visit to some of the captains who attend his teas and floats the party's idea of using two ships to dredge for the tentacled horror lurking in the driver.

Unsurprisingly, Samuel Benedict of the Gold Griffon is eager to help. "That things a threat to shipping and the warehouses, no doubt about that. My crew would be happy to help with netting the beast, and fighting it if need be ... though between you and me we're better at repelling pirates than we are sea monsters.

Carlo Dalsine, captain of the Windseer out of Taldor and one never to be outdone by the likes of Benedict, also agrees to assist you.

Things That Go Boom

Korlandril wanders the city looking for a shop that sells achemical supplies. He finds several claiming to sell reagents and such, but it's clear that much of it is fake, and the stuff that isn't is of inferior quality. Finally he comes across Berkman's Sundries, a hole-in-the-wall shop in the Rotgut District.

The man running it -- Halder Berkman -- is a gaunt, almost skeletal man who stands 6'9. His shop consists of three stories, each one consisting of shelves packed to overflowing with all manner of alchemical and arcane materials -- it takes only a glance for Kor to realize he's come to the right place.

The proprieter, seeing Korlandril, smiles broadly, revealing too many teeth and decidedly ghoulish visage. "Welcome sir, welcome. I see you are another practitioner of the Arts," he says. "No doubt you have come for additional ... transformative agents. It is always good to meet another of the brotherhood, one who is not bound by the constraints of petty moralism and the shackles of mindless traditionalism!"

He's eager to outfit your new alchemical labratory at the Gold Goblin (190 gp) ...
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---fin ... mist-s-Lab

He motions to his assistant, a huge, hairy ape of a man. "Fottero will assist you in carrying your supplies to your residence."

He also sells you a portable alchemist's lab (70 gp)...

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---fin ... b-Portable

"We must always take our art with us," he says with another of his uncomfortable, overeager smiles. "But surely you will not leave without attending a meeting of the Brotherhood? Drathios will be presenting on the his latest experiments with wolfsbane as a tempering agent for those suffering from Lunar Instability Syndrome, and I'm sure the brothers would be eager to hear about your own research into Abberational Trait Grafting."