Ch 17, Interlude 10: The Pool of Death

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Ch 17, Interlude 10: The Pool of Death

Post by NukeHavoc »

After the battle with the ogres you head north, following the Velusha River to the ruined fortress of Riverview. As you draw closer to the rumored lair of the dragon Gorwrack, you can see the broken bridges that once crossed the eastern and western branches of the river. Most of the stonework crumbled into the river long ago, leaving behind only pillars and the occasional broken archway. On the peninsula between the east and west branches is the old keep of Riverview itself. The tops of its towers have collapsed in upon itself, but the walls still stand. At the center of the keep’s courtyard stands the fortress’ old Great Hall.

A second look at the ruins reveals that a fierce fight recently happened here. Black-scaled lizardmen – similar to the ones you fought downriver – lie dead among the ruins, arrow shafts protruding from their corpses. Elsewhere you can see their foes: the fallen forms of humans wearing piecemeal hide and chainmail armor. Spears pierce some; all have had flesh and armor partially dissolved by acid.

The air feels dead; no breeze moves through the grasses at the rivers edge, and the once-blue overhead has given way to a dull gray overcast. The temperature has fallen to 65 degrees, though it feels cooler thanks to the drenching humidity. The entire scene feels oppressive and forlorn; you feel certain that more death waits inside the crumbling walls of the Great Hall.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Re: Ch 17, Interlude 10: The Pool of Death

Post by Jonkga »

Very nice description of the scene, Ken. :)

So, I assume we are across the river, on a bluff of some sort looking over the area, allowing us to see over the walls into the keep?

Jheru will say:
"It seems we have found the lair of our enemy, and it also seems we are not the only ones seeking to end this foul beast.

We must assume that the fel creature has had time to heal and recover from our fight, given both the time that has passed and the obvious hand of the creaturing in doling out so much acidic death down there.

Perhaps we should do some scouting to see what, if any lizardfolk opposition remains nearby? And, mayhap we will also thereby learn more about those folk who have recently opposed the dragon and his minions, and possibly join forces to destroy the evil here once and for all?

What do you all think?"
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Tholyr looks around. "Hrm. I agree. Let's see what else is around before charging into the dragon's den."
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

"It looks as if the Ulfen exiles and the lizardmen have done our dirty work for us against each other. Hey Yellowbeard, do you recognize any of the fallen?"

We should probably cross the river a little north of the peninsula's tip so we can approach the keep from the land rather than the water. If we can keep the dragon cooped up in a building, it will go much better for us than if it is airborne or allowed into the river.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:So, I assume we are across the river, on a bluff of some sort looking over the area, allowing us to see over the walls into the keep?
You're on a small rise on the western shore of the Velusha River, but you don't need that to see over the walls; large chunks of the walls (which stood about 20 feet tall, have fallen. The Great Hall within is about 25 feet tall, 35 feet if you include the crumbling peaked slate roof).
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:We should probably cross the river a little north of the peninsula's tip so we can approach the keep from the land rather than the water. If we can keep the dragon cooped up in a building, it will go much better for us than if it is airborne or allowed into the river.
You'll need to take the folding boat or swim if you wish to cross the river north of the ruined bridges; the water's too deep to walk across.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

"None of these are my kin" says Cutheric Iron-can't-bite, "but all are Sons and Daughters of the North. They drink now at the Twilight Tavern, and should be lain to rest lest their spirits become restless. I shall go alone if need be, but who will join me in giving them the long-sleep according to the customs of my people?"

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

"As soon as the dragon lies dead beside them. A fitting funeral gift, wouldn't you say?"
erilar

Post by erilar »

"Hmm, another crumbling stone structure," says Phil, cackling. "We need to get the dragon into there so the monk can collapse it on him..."
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

So is anyone going to advance on the ruin? We can likely get the initial setup for the next encounter done online if folks have time.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

NukeHavoc wrote:So is anyone going to advance on the ruin? We can likely get the initial setup for the next encounter done online if folks have time.

Well, yes, I believe we are discussing that, and we undoubtedly intend to advance. Our hope is that the dragon is currently within the Great Hall, or that through the great hall we can descend into what may well be the creatures lair. However, it may be prudent to scout out, if only briefly, and see if there are more lizardfolk or barbarians nearby so that we can rule out having to engage them whilst fighting the dragon.

I believe we will probably have to use the boat to scout above and around the lair on the rivers, maybe investigating the old bridge ruins, and then find a place to land and then venture into the ruined keep. Hopefully, we won't see much resistance at least until we breach the Hall itself. And, hopefully the dragon doesn't have escape tunnels under the hall it can use to reach the river and the air above.

Jheru will present these ideas to the party, and see if some of the more tactical folks have any ideas on how to best approach the keep. He will stress caution, but also the need to move quickly so that the dragon may be caught unawares if at all possible.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

"Sounds like a good idea, Jheru. I'll even help steer the boat, as I have been practicing my sailing skills. The faster we find the dragon, the worse off it is likely to still be, both from facing us on the river, and whatever this was that we're observing."

Profession Sailor:
Roll(1d20)+5:
10,+5
Total:15
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Jheru will also ask the party to consider what it knows about dragons, and acid, and see if there are some tactical ideas anyone has for combating the creature. Jheru does not know much about dragons. He has heard however, that occassionally fire was used by his people against other acidic creatures. He is unsure if this would help here, "It seems logical to me that the searing light and cleansing flame would be useful against this corrupt beast, but I do not really have the knowledege or study to back that feeling up. Do any of you know anything that may help our chances of success?" Also, fire is often difficult to control, so if we had better ideas, or less dangerous to us suggestions, Jheru would love to hear them now...
T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

"Jheru, I've prepared some spells to resist the dragons acid. I have the spell to stun the creature like the last time."

"As for scouting out the area, if we are certain this is where the beast is, I can bestow upon one of you Desna's blessing of quick flight. It will give someone a few minutes in the air."

If I am unable to make the game, here's what I will be doing.
Round 1 upon confirmed sighting/combat: cast resist energy acid
Round 2 drink potion of owl's wisdom

Following actions:
A) if no one is around the the creature or can be properly targeted, sound burst
B) if party is close enough to the creature, command fall.
C) if the creature starts to fly, cast sound burst or command fal
D) if the creature is far away, position myself with the deadliest party members between me and the dragon, command approach (this may not be the best as the creature can withdraw or possibly fly to me but trying to go for AoO).
E) blast with searing light in the meantime.
F) Heal party appropriately; if chance to stop the creature fleeing, do so.
G) If made aware of a dangerous move by a party member (i.e., Jerhu yells he's going to do X manuever - I will give him a blessing of luck to re-roll a d20).

I was still playing under an old DM's rule that Command could only be cast successfully on 'humanoids' and greater command could be cast on giants, etc. This spell could work on a dragon.
COMMAND
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target one living creature
Duration 1 round
Saving Throw Will negates; Spell Resistance yes

DESCRIPTION
You give the subject a single command, which it obeys to the best of its ability at its earliest opportunity. You may select from the following options.
Approach: On its turn, the subject moves toward you as quickly and directly as possible for 1 round. The creature may do nothing but move during its turn, and it provokes attacks of opportunity for this movement as normal.
Drop: On its turn, the subject drops whatever it is holding. It can't pick up any dropped item until its next turn.
Fall: On its turn, the subject falls to the ground and remains prone for 1 round. It may act normally while prone but takes any appropriate penalties.
Flee: On its turn, the subject moves away from you as quickly as possible for 1 round. It may do nothing but move during its turn, and it provokes attacks of opportunity for this movement as normal.
Halt: The subject stands in place for 1 round. It may not take any actions but is not considered helpless.

If the subject can't carry out your command on its next turn, the spell automatically fails.
The 1961 Ferrari 250GT California. Less than a hundred were made. My father spent three years restoring this car. It is his love, it is his passion.

It is his fault he didn't lock the garage.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Ken, an out-of-character question:

I'm not sure exactly which direction you want us to take here. I don't want you to tip your hand, but is this just a set-up for combat where you want us to pretty much get to the keep directly, or are we doing a more exploratory interlude/skill challenge type thing in getting to and scouting out the keep? I just ask to be sure we are giving you the sorts of responses you need during this interim so we are where we need to be for the next session.