Chapter 18, Interlude 12 – Talk of the Town

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Chapter 18, Interlude 12 – Talk of the Town

Post by NukeHavoc »

Your triumphant return to town does not go unnoticed. From the moment you deposited the skull of the black dragon Gorwrack at the feet of Overlord Gaston Cromarcky and earned the 5,000 gp bounty talk of your adventures has been buzzing around Riddleport.

Riddleport is a city that feeds on rumor, and you’ve certainly given them plenty to talk about: your early work for Saul Vancaskerkin at the Gold Goblin, destroying the Boneyard’s wererat infestation, your usurpation of said gambling hall, the slaying of the demonic octopus in the harbor; the list seems to know no end.

And now there’s this – the slaying of a dragon and the defeat of a would be bandit lord! Clearly you are going places … and that has everyone more than a little nervous. Cromarcky seemed more than a little on edge when you arrived to claim the dragon head, as though he never expected the likes of you to actually pull it off. Clegg Zincher responded better, slapping Skender on the back and hosting a massive party in his (and your) honor at his arena.

“You boys did good! All of you! But be warned my friend, this is the kind of town where no good deed goes unpunished, and nothing breeds contempt like success. You did good, no doubt about that … but you’ve got targets on your backs now. But hell, let ‘em come. Anyone stupid enough to take you on – take us on – is gonna find themselves at the bottom of the bay with a new smile carved in their throats!”

Kwava informs you that his masters in Crying Leaf are expecting your arrival in a week’s time. That gives you about two days in the Riddleport to shop, drink, and put your affairs in order.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Lars Porsenna

Re: Chapter 18, Interlude 12 – Talk of the Town

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I go drinking...and dare anyone to drink with me!

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Winter’s Servant

“Lord Jorm … excuse my brashness, but my lord, we must talk," says Kjor, the sole surviving follower of King Hallvor of the Nolands. "I have heard rumor around this most excellent residence [he points to the Gold Goblin] that you and your allies are once again preparing to head out into the world in search of adventure and riches.”

“I must ask, humbling, no, proudly, no, desperately, no … I don’t know sir, I must just ask that you take me with you! Long have I sought someone who might bring glory to the northern lands, forging the Iron Kingdom that is our destiny. I thought Hallvor was that man, but now I realize he was just a charlatan pretending at king. It is you, Lord Jorm, who are destined to forge the our people into an empire! Not something so weak as Iron – no, that was the false dream of Hallvor. I see now that it is a kingdom of mithral, and I see you ruling it from your Sky Citadel at the Crown of the World!”

“So I ask sir, please let me join you on your journey to glory. My sword, my life, they are both yours. I ask only that you let me accompany you and share in your reflected glory as you achieve the dream of centuries!”
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

"Don't worry, Clegg, we'll be leaving the city again soon, perhaps to seek our fortunes to the south in Magnimar [said for the benefit of those nearby who might overhear, but signalling to Clegg that this is a ruse]. Our man Freddie here distinguished himself in the field, as did the men you sent to assist us. In reward for their service, I'm giving them my share of the dragon and bandit's bounty. And if a family of the men who fell in our service are known, they should be included, as they stood as true Varisians."

Once Skender is in private with Clegg, he will ask about setting up another ruse or diversion for when we actually do leave Riddleport for the Mierani Forest. A way for us to leave undetected, while perhaps having decoys dressed similarly to us to leave towards the south as was said openly.
erilar

Post by erilar »

After the festivities, Phil heads back to the Cypherguild hall to begin prepping for the upcoming journey. Studying, gathering any necessary information, scribing some scrolls, and perhaps "borrowing" any guild tomes that might come in handy for the journey (after all, the city and perhaps the world's fates are at stake, right?).

Phil also pays a visit to Samarita to offer the opportunity to join the group against the Drow plot - we may need all the help we can get. He's not sure whether she intended to assist in our efforts, or whether she felt she could best serve researching mysteries at the Guildhall. Either outcome is fine with Phil, but he doesn't want to deny her the opportunity for adventure.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Well, you can certainly drink at Clegg's party... if you dare!
Lars Porsenna wrote:I go drinking...and dare anyone to drink with me!

Damon.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

OOC:
Please refresh my memory: what is the current state of the Gold Goblin? We still control it, right? We had some of our psuedo-NPC's running it while we were gone, right? Perhaps the time has come to officially give it over to someone else - Clegg, or Comarky, or the Callistrans, or the mages, or really anyone else, unless someone really has a desire to run the thing permanently?

And, perhaps it would be good for folks to post herein their goals for their characters, so that we can work that into the storyline? The team is heading off to save the world, but what about after that? Who is going to live in (possibly run) Riddleport? Who wants to build a church and convert people to the pirate queen's worship? Who is returning to their homelands? Who is planning on traveling to lands south or elsewhere? It might make a difference to what we do in town during this interlude...

As for what Jheru is doing, he will try to remain as low profile as possible, and behave as diplomatically as possible (natch) with those he interacts with. He will give Comarky credit for sponsoring the expedition, check in on the teas that he now doesn't run, and largely be around the Gold Goblin but not interferring with the day-to-day operations there.

As for preparations, he is going to see if he can commision clothing from the bolt of silk and the mammoth fur, endeavouring to find someone who can make masterwork items so they can be enchanted at a later time. (I'm still working on figuring out exactly what). He assumes this won't be ready for the big venture, and that's ok.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Skender has no specific interest in remaining a partner in a gambling hall/tavern, as long as we get a good price or commensurate offer from whomever takes it over... we can't just GIVE the place away.

Long term... other than making the world safe for little Skenders, he's more of a "live in the now" kinda guy.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Since no one but the elves seem to be paying attention to the world-threatening machinations of the drow, this situation is the shiny object currently occupying Phil's attention.

Long term, he has found the Cyphermage leadership to be less than worthy of respect, and is rethinking his allegiance to these pompous and deluded academics. Perhaps new mysteries of Thassilonian magics will offer themselves up during our forthcoming adventure, or even other subjects worthy of independent study?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Cutheric's long term goals just happen to be the same as his short term goals: drink and slay the biggest monsters he can find!

Damon.
Upweekis

Post by Upweekis »

NukeHavoc wrote:Winter’s Servant

“So I ask sir, please let me join you on your journey to glory. My sword, my life, they are both yours. I ask only that you let me accompany you and share in your reflected glory as you achieve the dream of centuries!”
Jorm responds "I would be, umm, 'honored' to have you fighting by my side. You'll make a fine addition to our band. Here wear this red shirt to show your allegiance. Also could you write your stats down so I know what I dealing with?"

Regarding Jorm's ultimate goals, he dreams of reclaiming his Clan's mines, forges and stronghold in the Calphiak Mountains.

(Sorry for the late response, I just got back from vacation.)
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Ken,

Time willing, Cutheric would like to find a forge to add another + to his greataxe. He'll need 6 days to do this. Is that going to be possible?

Damon.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Lars Porsenna wrote:Time willing, Cutheric would like to find a forge to add another + to his greataxe. He'll need 6 days to do this. Is that going to be possible?
Not in Riddleport, but perhaps in Crying Leaf.