Chapter 19, Interlude 13 - Hanging out in Crying Leaf

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Re: Chapter 19, Interlude 13 - Hanging out in Crying Leaf

Post by NukeHavoc »

Phil
Phil will attempt to speak with a few elves, inquiring who among them are the most skilled arcane casters. He would like to speak with them regarding cypher runes, old Thassilonian magics, etc. and both share what he's learned as well as trying to glean any secrets the elves may have discovered about the drow's eldritch machinations.
Phil sizes up the elves wandering the camp, identifies a few that look sufficiently wizardly, and attempts to strike up a conversation. “Hey so that old Thassiloian magic was really powerful, wasn’t it? And they could build those relics to last! Have you seen the runes carved in those things? Heck, they could pull down the whole sky on us!”

Most of those Phil approaches look at him askance; clearly seeing the subjects of Thassiloian magic and cypher runes distasteful in the extreme. There is one though who seems receptive, or at least doesn’t flinch away when Phil approaches. He wears dark green robes and seems intent on examining bits of stone and wood, treating them with a variety of chemicals in an attempt to further divine their nature.

Phil: Make a Knowledge: Arcana or Diplomacy check to interact with the elf.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jheru
]Jheru will set out his tea and welcome any and all elves interested to join him (as described above - always trying to be deferential). In fact, he will do this each and every day for the 6 days we are in town.

It seems some days Jheru is successful, and others not so much. All depending, of course, upon if different elves come each day or the same ones return. Some elves may become more hostile, but most will probably become better allies.

Remember, if the elves bring it up, Jheru will be very forthcoming about helping the elves with any intel he has on the drow, if that helps sway them at all, as well.
A handful of the elves do take an interest in your morning teas, mostly for the novelty of the ritual. They seem to take pleasure in the civilized alienness of the ritual, which is decidedly human, yet has cadences of an elven ceremony.

The elves avoid talking about the drow or the heroes reason for being the forest; they seem both embarrassed and angered by the topic. Instead they focus on the glories of the ancient forest and the wonders of the fallen city, reminiscing about its past splendors.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Skender
I suppose going to the triage area to see if Carlila can help out, and to get an idea of what kinds of wounds to prepare for would be what we're up to. Also, if there are any remains of the fallen enemy (especially demons), Skender will inspect them to try and see if they are similar to what we've fought already. If none remain, then he'll settle for inspecting the damage to Crying Leaf and try to engage any of the elves in conversation about the drow, demons, what we have emcountered, etc. to find some common ground.

No issues with any of Jheru's suggestions... but no getting up early for combat drills while we have some semi-downtime. Skender has a new wife to sleep in with, so that will all have to wait until after "morning prayers to Calistria".

Skender speaks Elven, but will pretend that he doesn't, not to outright spy on the elves, but in hopes of overhearing unguarded comments or conversations held within earshot to guage any hostility, criticisms, misunderstandings, or other useful tidbits.
The elves are initially skeptical of Carila’s offer of help, but there are so many wounded that they can’t help but accept her. The fact that she is a priestess of Calistria only helps; the elves have a particular affinity for the goddess, in whom they see reflections of their own moods and attitude.

Their wounds seem to have been caused equally by drow weapons and demonic claws. Several drow appear to be in deep, unnatural sleep, which the elven healers explain was caused by dark elf poison.

Unfortunately there’s no much in the way of demonic bodies to evaluate; after their defeat the creatures corpses disappeared, alternatively disappearing in clouds of smoke, pools of acid, or explosions of fire. None of the elves seem particularly surprised by this.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Tholyr
Tholyr will ask around and find out who's the best elven scout in camp. Then he's going to challenge him/her to a friendly game of 'hide and seek' outside of Crying Leaf. I'll roam and see if he can track me, find me. Then I'll see if I can find him.
The elves react to this with disgust. “This is no time for games, dwarf. It is time for war. Best you remember how to wield that sword and tame that foul beast you call a pony than waste time playing games,” says Haramir, one of the elven lieutenants.

As they walk away you hear a quiet, gruff voice say “Don’t take it personally friend. They take defeat … badly. They are right about stupid forest games though – we don’t have time for that. But a few of my friends are slumming … no, slumbering. That is the human word for sleep is it not? … in the infirmary because of foul drow poison. The healers tell me that the Cerelian White Moss might be able to raise … no, rouse … our fallen colleagues.” He pulls an aged notebook from his satchel, and opens to a page bookmarked with a raven’s feather. “This is what it looks like. Now, friend dwarf, would you be interested in a little wager?”

“Name’s Nesradeth by the way. About the only elf around these parts who isn’t going to give you hard time about that beard.”
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

NukeHavoc wrote:Jheru
]Jheru will set out his tea and welcome any and all elves interested to join him (as described above - always trying to be deferential). In fact, he will do this each and every day for the 6 days we are in town.

It seems some days Jheru is successful, and others not so much. All depending, of course, upon if different elves come each day or the same ones return. Some elves may become more hostile, but most will probably become better allies.

Remember, if the elves bring it up, Jheru will be very forthcoming about helping the elves with any intel he has on the drow, if that helps sway them at all, as well.
A handful of the elves do take an interest in your morning teas, mostly for the novelty of the ritual. They seem to take pleasure in the civilized alienness of the ritual, which is decidedly human, yet has cadences of an elven ceremony.

The elves avoid talking about the drow or the heroes reason for being the forest; they seem both embarrassed and angered by the topic. Instead they focus on the glories of the ancient forest and the wonders of the fallen city, reminiscing about its past splendors.

Jheru will happily converse about the splendors of both forest and city, sincerely interested in what the elves share, and open for all manner of detail that may be helpful once we venture forth in to the city.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Cutheric keeps banging away at his greataxe, working the metal, and etching new designs -- swirls of knotwork and stylized images of dragons and linnorm in the metal.

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Lars Porsenna wrote:Cutheric keeps banging away at his greataxe, working the metal, and etching new designs -- swirls of knotwork and stylized images of dragons and linnorm in the metal.
The elves give you a wide berth, occasionally whispering to each other about sweaty, unruly humans and their obsession with destructive creatures.
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote:Phil
Most of those Phil approaches look at him askance; clearly seeing the subjects of Thassiloian magic and cypher runes distasteful in the extreme. There is one though who seems receptive, or at least doesn’t flinch away when Phil approaches. He wears dark green robes and seems intent on examining bits of stone and wood, treating them with a variety of chemicals in an attempt to further divine their nature.

Phil: Make a Knowledge: Arcana or Diplomacy check to interact with the elf.
Since a Diplomacy check from Phil could result in open war, I'll opt for Knowledge: Arcana:

Roll of 11 + skill 13 = 24

Phil, speaking elven: "Good morning to you, my friend. While the arcane skill of the elves is legendary, we are all aligned in a common cause, and I would be honored to provide any assistance I can muster."

Phil will use this first roll to attempt to glean the source of these fragments from their appearance, and also from the context of the chemicals the elf is employing. If he can begin the conversation by demonstrating some knowledge, perhaps this elven wizard may open up to him more readily?
Last edited by erilar on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Ok, Skender will make it a priority to visit the alchemist to try and obtain as much Antitoxin as possible.

It usually goes for 50gp, but the elves here don't seem interested in human coinage, so I'm not sure how to make the exchange other than to just ask what they would like in return.

Was there any talk in elven that he could overhear that would be useful to us, as far as adjusting our behavior, clearing up a misunderstanding, or know what their expectations are?

NukeHavoc wrote:Skender
The elves are initially skeptical of Carila’s offer of help, but there are so many wounded that they can’t help but accept her. The fact that she is a priestess of Calistria only helps; the elves have a particular affinity for the goddess, in whom they see reflections of their own moods and attitude.

Their wounds seem to have been caused equally by drow weapons and demonic claws. Several drow appear to be in deep, unnatural sleep, which the elven healers explain was caused by dark elf poison.

Unfortunately there’s no much in the way of demonic bodies to evaluate; after their defeat the creatures corpses disappeared, alternatively disappearing in clouds of smoke, pools of acid, or explosions of fire. None of the elves seem particularly surprised by this.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:Tholyr
Tholyr will ask around and find out who's the best elven scout in camp. Then he's going to challenge him/her to a friendly game of 'hide and seek' outside of Crying Leaf. I'll roam and see if he can track me, find me. Then I'll see if I can find him.
The elves react to this with disgust. “This is no time for games, dwarf. It is time for war. Best you remember how to wield that sword and tame that foul beast you call a pony than waste time playing games,” says Haramir, one of the elven lieutenants.

As they walk away you hear a quiet, gruff voice say “Don’t take it personally friend. They take defeat … badly. They are right about stupid forest games though – we don’t have time for that. But a few of my friends are slumming … no, slumbering. That is the human word for sleep is it not? … in the infirmary because of foul drow poison. The healers tell me that the Cerelian White Moss might be able to raise … no, rouse … our fallen colleagues.” He pulls an aged notebook from his satchel, and opens to a page bookmarked with a raven’s feather. “This is what it looks like. Now, friend dwarf, would you be interested in a little wager?”

“Name’s Nesradeth by the way. About the only elf around these parts who isn’t going to give you hard time about that beard.”
"Nesradeth, it's a pleasure. I understand their attitude. My group and I have tangled with your enemy and each time we seem to have gotten the worse of it, too. Leaves you feeling a bit ... restless. But 'best to keep your eyes in front of you', as it were. What kind of wager?"
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Tholyr
EvilGenius wrote:"Nesradeth, it's a pleasure. I understand their attitude. My group and I have tangled with your enemy and each time we seem to have gotten the worse of it, too. Leaves you feeling a bit ... restless. But 'best to keep your eyes in front of you', as it were. What kind of wager?"
Nesradeth gives you a wolfish grin. "Well my friend Tholyr, it just so happens that I have a fine flask of brandy here. Excellent vintage -- 98 years old, tastes like gold on your tongue and burns like the sun in your chest. Very fine indeed. I'll wager that against ... well, what do you have friend dwarf?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Skender
Ok, Skender will make it a priority to visit the alchemist to try and obtain as much Antitoxin as possible.

It usually goes for 50gp, but the elves here don't seem interested in human coinage, so I'm not sure how to make the exchange other than to just ask what they would like in return.
The elves in charge of the infirmary explain that antitoxin is, as you might expect, in high demand and must be requisitioned from their stores. Typically they are able to provide one vial of antitoxin to each raiding party, but with special permission from Eviana they could perhaps provide one to each of your party members. The scientific consensus of the elves is that this would be prudent, given the inherently weaker nature of human physiology.
Was there any talk in elven that he could overhear that would be useful to us, as far as adjusting our behavior, clearing up a misunderstanding, or know what their expectations are?
Most of Skender's experience with elves is likely half-elves and outcasts living in Riddleport. Based on previous experience, the attitudes you are seeing and hearing are typical of trueblood elven settlements. They don't have a very high opinion of humanity to begin with, and the fact that you know of the drow -- their secret shame -- only makes matters worse. A victory amongst the ruins of Celwynvian might help convince them of your combat prowess ... and your sincerity in dealing with the drow problem.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jheru
Jonkga wrote:Jheru will happily converse about the splendors of both forest and city, sincerely interested in what the elves share, and open for all manner of detail that may be helpful once we venture forth in to the city.
The elves happily lose themselves in tales of Celwynvian's glorious past. The ancient, lovingly-hand written books and scrolls in the Library of Reenai. The splendor of Verithes Park. The restrained but passionate debates in the The Pavilion of Reason. You can feel a vision of the city as it was building up in your minds eye. You receive +2 to Knowledge: Local checks when trying to recall details about city.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Alright, the way Antitoxin works is more as a preventative measure than a cure.

It gives a +5 alchemical bonus to saving throws versus poison for 1 hour, and with the way most poisons work, there are a sequence of saves spaced out over a certain interval, and a certain number of successful saves are required to resist various effects (unconsciousness/paralysis for drow poison, for example).

The drow we have faced so far have poisoned their missile ammo and light blades, so spells that make us harder to hit (especially by bolts and arrows), or can remove the effects should be prepared (ie scribe some scrolls while we can).

NukeHavoc wrote:The elves in charge of the infirmary explain that antitoxin is, as you might expect, in high demand and must be requisitioned from their stores. Typically they are able to provide one vial of antitoxin to each raiding party, but with special permission from Eviana they could perhaps provide one to each of your party members. The scientific consensus of the elves is that this would be prudent, given the inherently weaker nature of human physiology.
Most of Skender's experience with elves is likely half-elves and outcasts living in Riddleport. Based on previous experience, the attitudes you are seeing and hearing are typical of trueblood elven settlements. They don't have a very high opinion of humanity to begin with, and the fact that you know of the drow -- their secret shame -- only makes matters worse. A victory amongst the ruins of Celwynvian might help convince them of your combat prowess ... and your sincerity in dealing with the drow problem.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Phil needs some DM love too. :wink:
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer