Chapter 19, Interlude 13 - Hanging out in Crying Leaf

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
Lars Porsenna

Re: Chapter 19, Interlude 13 - Hanging out in Crying Leaf

Post by Lars Porsenna »

NukeHavoc wrote:The scientific consensus of the elves is that this would be prudent, given the inherently weaker nature of human physiology.
"'Superior physiology' my left bollock... mutters Cutheric under his breath...

Damon. :)
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Phil, speaking elven: "Good morning to you, my friend. While the arcane skill of the elves is legendary, we are all aligned in a common cause, and I would be honored to provide any assistance I can muster."

Phil will use this first roll to attempt to glean the source of these fragments from their appearance, and also from the context of the chemicals the elf is employing. If he can begin the conversation by demonstrating some knowledge, perhaps this elven wizard may open up to him more readily?
The elf looks at you out of the corner of his eye, blinks rapidly three times, and then turns his attention back to the fragments. "Specimen 23101 was retrieved from a deceased tree in the courtyard of the Academy of Arts."

"Specimen 23105c is a fragment broken off from a larger piece of marble -- 23105 -- after previous shock tests revealed minor transmutation effects had 'softened' the crystalline structure. Naturally, this called for exposure to Salannarr's Essence of Revelation. True to its name it confirmed my theory that both the plant and the rock were warped by repeated exposure to relativistic fluctuations."

He looks back to you, his eyes gleaming an intense green. "Now what, what could be causing these fluctuations? What could cause this tree to age a thousand years, when other samples near by are only two hundred years old? Answer me gnome. What could do it? Prove yourself worth the interruption you've caused."

OOC: Phil's roll is good enough to suggest that that there must be some sort of temporal effect in play around the Academy of Arts. Perhaps some ancient spell is folding time upon itself over and over again. Or there is a planar effect that causes time to rebound. Or there is a rip in the fabric of time that is causing these terrible fluctuations. Or perhaps a powerful demon has become out of phase with the surrounding reality, causing the very land around the Academy of Arts to be corrupted!

The possibilities stagger the mind, but Phil finds them all very, very exciting.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote:He looks back to you, his eyes gleaming an intense green. "Now what, what could be causing these fluctuations? What could cause this tree to age a thousand years, when other samples near by are only two hundred years old? Answer me gnome. What could do it? Prove yourself worth the interruption you've caused."

OOC: Phil's roll is good enough to suggest that that there must be some sort of temporal effect in play around the Academy of Arts.
Phil, in elven: "The possibilities are nearly boundless, but perhaps this magigravitational field could be related to the large, metastable pocket dimension your dark, distant cousins have created - the so-called Armageddon Echo? Or, a formless, cyclopean alien magma creature formed of pure, dense semi-molten translation metal has landed on our planet from beyond time and space. Maybe that... No, I think I'll wager on reason A."
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Phil, in elven: "The possibilities are nearly boundless, but perhaps this magigravitational field could be related to the large, metastable pocket dimension your dark, distant cousins have created - the so-called Armageddon Echo?"
He strokes his chin thoughtfully. "Yes. Clearly this pocket dimension is to blame, but a question your assertion about its stability, meta or otherwise. I believe these permutations to the underlying structure of the Academy and its environs were caused by the rapid folding of space and time leading up to the creation of the pocket dimension. While this folding may have lessoned, my research indicates that it is still happening, albeit at a greatly reduced rate. This "Armageddon Echo" is not a singular event, but rather one that plays out again and again. It is ... difficult to understand the frequency of the event, but I am curious as to what would happen to someone should they become trapped in the dimension when this echo occurs. Does it wash over them like a wave, leaving them standing like a person standing on a shoreline, the waves washing past their feet? Or is it more like a great tidal wave, catching them and anything else up in the never ending pattern of the Echo?"

"Curious indeed. These are the great questions we greater intellects must struggle with. To fight the drow is not a matter of arrows and swords; no it is the clash of minds where we must be triumphant. Would you not agree?"
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange