The Griffin's Crier

Discussion forums for the home of the Blackrazors
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:07 pm
Posts: 11116
Location: Easton, PA
The fighting rages on. The elves of Crying Leaf have secured a half-dozen major buildings in Celwynvian, but they've lost 30 warriors in the engagements and twice as many were badly wounded. As twlight falls, the drow launch a demonic counter attack. Clutches of dretches swarmed the streets while drow patrols crept from their daytime hideouts to launch their counter attack.

They are aided in this by a toxic cloud that has descended on the city. The cloud erupted from the drow alchemical workshop after you destroyed it, but has since come back down to earth. Now the natural winds are slowly moving the cloud through the city, creating a nauseus hazard that the dretches seem perfectly comfortable with.

The deepening darkness is frequently broken by strobes of brilliant light as the elves try to fight off their dark cousins with a combination of daylight spells, fireballs, and lightning bolts. It's a desperate fight, and one in which victory is clearly not assured.

"We must last the night," says Eviana, her once serene face now painted with exhaustion and concern. "If we last the night -- if we can hold against this hellish onslaught -- then we can strike even harder tomorrow and fortify our gains. This won't be a quick fight, not by any means. But if we can hold tonight ... if we can hold the night...

_________________
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:07 pm
Posts: 11116
Location: Easton, PA
Eviana looks to the group. "We have many targets, and ever more challenges before us. I can see two possible options for your group. The first is the Coliseum of Mask and Lyre. Our scouts have seen flickering, ghostly lights inside the ruins, and legends say that a 'spirit of creativity' ones dwelled within the Coliseum. If it still lingers, it could be a useful ally against the drow.

"There are darker threats as well. As you heard, the dead walk in the Garden of Eternal Ease, and there seems to be some greater horror animating them. Of these two, the undead are the greater threat, but if the Spirit of Creativity truly exists, it could turn this battle for us."

"You have done well--"

This statement is interrupted by a dismissive laugh from Kaerishiel Neirenar, who stands at a nearby table planning his mercenary guild's next attack. "They unleashed a death cloud upon the city. This is 'doing well?'"

Eviana levels an icy stare at him. "They have succeeded in the first two tasks as assigned to them. The 'death cloud' is unfortunate, but such things happen in war. Surely, *you* know that better than anyone."

She continues. "As I said, you succeeded at your tasks. The next move is yours -- what target would you see out? These are not your only options, merely the ones I find most pressing. If you have other ideas on how to win the day ... and the night ... I would be happy to hear them."

_________________
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:30 pm
Posts: 3918
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Jheru is intrigued by the 'spirit of creativity'. Does Eviana have any info on just what such an entity could be? Gaining a strong ally could certainly help against the summoned foes the drow have fortified their forces with. Perhaps we could lure some of our enemies to the Colliseum as we investigate it, to see if indeed such a being would be willing to take our side in the fray?

Jheru will also check with the party as to their readiness to embark this night: I am sure we could use rest, but it seems like we need to be a part of the battles this evening.

Also, Jheru will inquire to the arcane and divine amongst the party and see if they have methods for learning info about this 'spirit of creativity', as well and info about combating the undead - any advice about how to handle the things coming out of the Garden?

_________________
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:00 pm
Posts: 600
Location: Easton, PA
OOC:
I've read up on the Second Darkness Companion but still not up to speed on all our previous exploits. Also still leafing through Inner Sea Guide. So for now, I'm playing Gavin as slightly reserved, (compared to his normal self) looking more for ways he can be of service to this group while angling for his own desires. Once I get a firmer grip, I'll integrate with epic seamless-ness and stoic aplomb. However, given what Eviana has just shared...

Gavin snaps out of an apparent doze and leans forward on his stool.
"Spirit of Creativity, you say? Why have I not heard of this before? Is this another case of 'hide precious information from the half-breed'? 'Don't upset the garrulous drunk?' 'Hoodwink th'---ooooh, wait. I do recall you mentioning this...on several occasions. At the time, I thought you were being uncharacteristically frisky. Were you being frisky? When you said, "Spirit of Creativity", I thought....I can see by the look on your face that my timing is off...and a lady doesn't share all of her secrets, yes?

Regardless, I would council you lot not to dismiss this spirit. And I would be more than chuffed to lend my considerable knowledge to...learn more...knowledge. From it.

Undead now...terrible business. We'd do well to not have that cloud lingering over our shoulders. I mean, one cloud of death is enough, yes? Not funny? *sighs*

I'm on board with the monk, though I caution against luring our enemies at the same time we're investigating a possible ally. Might give the wrong impression, no? "Knock, knock. Hello love, may I borrow your blade to slay the dragon? What dragon? Why, the one right behind me!" Just saying. Although...that would make a devilish tale. Hmm...the more I drink, the better this sounds. Either way, I'll lend my stories and knowledge of all things arcane and whatnot in conjunction with Jheru.

_________________
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."


Last edited by Fen's Ego on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:00 pm
Posts: 600
Location: Easton, PA
Also, what time did we finish our battle at the alchemical facility, since we started around 10AM? Did we have enough time to rest before our council with Eviana?

_________________
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:34 pm
Posts: 4324
Location: Clusium, Etruria
Cutheric growls. "I have wounds that need mending, but never do I shirk from the murder-make. Fortified with a draught from the amber-sea, and we can slay forward!"

Damon.

_________________
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
I am always willing to run Traveller, Dark Heresy, D&D, Battletech, & Klingon Armada...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:07 pm
Posts: 11116
Location: Easton, PA
Fen's Ego wrote:
Also, what time did we finish our battle at the alchemical facility, since we started around 10AM? Did we have enough time to rest before our council with Eviana?


You made it back to came in late afternoon, just before dusk. You were taken directly to Eviana when you returned, where you gave a brief accounting of your mission. It's been an exceedingly long day for everyone, and based on Eviana's report, it's not going to end any time soon.

_________________
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:07 pm
Posts: 11116
Location: Easton, PA
Quote:
Jheru is intrigued by the 'spirit of creativity'. Does Eviana have any info on just what such an entity could be? Gaining a strong ally could certainly help against the summoned foes the drow have fortified their forces with. Perhaps we could lure some of our enemies to the Colliseum as we investigate it, to see if indeed such a being would be willing to take our side in the fray?


Eviana contemplates this. "Unfortunately I know little more than what I've told you. My ancestors spoke of benign presence who dwelled within the Colliseum, providing inspiration, guidence, and insight for the artists who performed there. She was a great ally of the elven people, but that was ten thousand years ago. To think that she could still be there, waiting to aid us, is it too much to hope for?"

"You should consult the orb you retrieved from the The Library of Reenai. Perhaps it has insights into this entity."

_________________
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:05 pm
Posts: 6572
Location: Kirkwall
Phil likes the idea of (possibly) liberating a new ally in the Creative Spirit. Perhaps, once freed, it could then help us combat the undead threat in the graveyard, or at worst supply us with insightful, creative tactics to do so?

Oh, and as far as an immediate strike goes, FYI Phil is almost entirely depleted of all arcane resources.

_________________
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:30 pm
Posts: 3918
Location: Las Vegas, NV
So, Jheru will ask Phil and Gavin to aid him in addressing the orb we recovered, and with our combined diplomatic, bardic, and arcane knowledge, hopefully the sprit librarian contained therin will be able to inform us as to the identity of the spirit of creativity and how we might best entreat it. based upon what we learn, hopefully we can form the best plan for garnering aid. We will of course share all we learn with Eviana and the elves.

To the party, Jheru will say:
As for resting, I know we are not at full strength, we've all exhausted much of our personal stores of strength, magical energy, etc. However, it is a critical time in the battle. I would vote, if you are all amenable to it, that we press on, and gather and share from all our resources to make as formidable a force as possible. We shall gather missle weapons, load up on bows and xbows and 'special' ammunition gathered from the enemy to use against them. Let's think tactically how we can work casters, for example, into a non-casting combat role, utilizing ranged attacks, flanking, aid another, etc. to give us the best possible chance at success. Remember, if we are down resources, the enemy is likely as well. Let's take what scrolls, wands, potions, alchemists fire, etc. we can, and work towards the Colliseum - perhaps we can also go stelthily, and avoid larger confrontations, taking out what small groups we can, and gain the aid of the spirit of creativity. Then perhaps we can rest before renewing the full fight against our foes.

_________________
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:57 pm
Posts: 3677
Skender concurs with Jheru that we should press the attack as soon as possible with whatever means we can muster.

Being out of his league with regards to the "elven holocron", Skender will devote his efforts to learning more from the other elven war bands who are returning from the field, what they faced, what was successful and what wasn't, what tactics were used, etc.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:30 pm
Posts: 3918
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Jheru will also broach the subject of supplies with Eviana, regarding what might be available from the elven stores, or from fallen and/or injured soldiers. If they have additional ammunition, thrown weapons like alch. fire, etc., or even spellcasters' scrolls etc. of offensive spells, and individuals may not be venturing back out with these items, if we could make use of any to aid in our mission, that would be a boon we would be glad to repay in the future.

_________________
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:05 pm
Posts: 6572
Location: Kirkwall
Phil does have a light crossbow, and is pretty decent with ranged weapons. He also has two magic missile wands. He just wanted to make sure you all understood that the fireworks are all used up and it's down to pointy sticks and harsh language.

Given time, he will also work on creating some scrolls for prolonged engagements. His Cyphermage class even offers some occasional bonuses to casting from scrolls. Still, he's had no free time to create any - we've either been traveling or fighting for weeks.

_________________
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:00 pm
Posts: 600
Location: Easton, PA
Gavin is running at about half-arsenal in the spell department, serving as mostly buff/debuff and backup heals. He can handle wands and scrolls and has a wand of Cure Light Wounds, but nothing else in the secondary weapon category. He's a trip-whip build, but when it comes to fliers, oozers and creepy-crawlers, it's short bow or harsh language.

He offers to contribute what remains of his life savings (just under 7k) for purchasing supplies to this war effort (scrolls, spells, missiles) with full faith that the rewards (both monetary and story fodder) will be worth it. That and his knowledge regarding how the Drow deal with their conquered enemies are plenty of incentive.

He also gleefully anticipates using the term 'half-arsenal' in the future.

_________________
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:30 pm
Posts: 3918
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Jheru will also posit to the group: It may behoove us to try to make it to the Collesium without engaging the enemy first, saving our resources til after we've investigated this Spirit of Creativity. Let's consider the map and see if there is a route we should consider that might avoid major conflicts. Also, those of you who excel at the sneaky - if you have any suggestions for the rest of us that would help the group get in unnoticed, any ideas would certainly be helpful.

_________________
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group