Spell Resistance Tactics

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Spell Resistance Tactics

Post by NukeHavoc »

FYI -- I just came across this meta magic feat from Ultimate Magic

Piercing Spell

Benefit: When you cast a piercing spell against a target with spell resistance, it treats the spell resistance of the target as 5 lower than its actual SR.

Level Increase: +1 (a piercing spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Re: Spell Resistance Tactics

Post by erilar »

Interesting - thanks. I should probably pick up this PDF, seeing as I'm playing a caster and all...
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Very useful. But being a feat-starved, spell-capped Bard, I could never justify the cost/benefit of any of the metamagic feats. Of course, I'm saying this with my vast knowledge (i.e. weeks) of playing the class. But if I roll a dedicated caster in the future, I think this is very necessary.

roll < SR = no hit.
No hit = no fun!
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

I think your bard is pretty effective and think your creative use of grease, etc. bypasses a lot of it.

With Emeryan, I'm looking to go with more party / individual buffs or spells to help the party out such as fly and d-door.

Since Ken has the Adv. Player's Guide, maybe there is a nice bard change in the book that you could follow (it's an awesome book which is well balanced in the scheme of all the books).

I'm not certain when but I believe your fascinate ability will soon develop and will capture the minds of the drow... if you don't mind us throwing you into a room full of drow with you and your loot. :)
The 1961 Ferrari 250GT California. Less than a hundred were made. My father spent three years restoring this car. It is his love, it is his passion.

It is his fault he didn't lock the garage.
T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

Another possible tactic is we start preparing Dispel Magic against the drow or even using the counterspell rules.
The 1961 Ferrari 250GT California. Less than a hundred were made. My father spent three years restoring this car. It is his love, it is his passion.

Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Don't get me wrong; I'm not downing my bard...actually just coming to appreciate his versatility. For now, I'm choosing not to develop one niche over another as I'm learning how the party dynamic functions - and which play style is most enjoyable and beneficial (as well as what best fits the character). In a few levels I may lean more toward support buffing/debuffing or casting or controller combat, but for now, I like my options.
T1Mirage wrote:I'm not certain when but I believe your fascinate ability will soon develop and will capture the minds of the drow... if you don't mind us throwing you into a room full of drow with you and your loot. :)
I haven't really touched my other bard songs yet. Yes, Fascinate, and then Suggestion could be used as a combat-dodging opening volley for up to three creatures, but the Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 bard’s level + bard’s Cha modifier) is a strong deterrent against trying this on clever Drow.
T1Mirage wrote:Another possible tactic is we start preparing Dispel Magic against the drow or even using the counterspell rules.
Bardic countering options are more specific bard song options: Countersong will "counter magical effects that depend on sound" and Distraction will do the same for visually dependent effects. Since my Perform check is so high - and the group gets to use this when rolling their own save - Gavin is built to shut down any sonic or language-dependent magical attack as well as illusions. So should we find ourselves in such a situation - and I remember that I can do this - we have that angle covered. For all other forms of countering magical attacks, I may retrain for Dispel in another few levels to replace a current lv 3 spell.
Last edited by Fen's Ego on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

Fen's Ego wrote:Don't get me wrong; I'm not downing my bard...actually just coming to appreciate his versatility. For now, I'm choosing not to develop one niche over another as I'm learning how the party dynamic functions - and which play style is most enjoyable and beneficial (as well as what best fits the character). In a few levels I may lean more toward support buffing/debugging or casting or controller combat, but for now, I like my options.
I'm with you. I think there may be a lot of cool things to do.
Fen's Ego wrote:I haven't really touched my other bard songs yet. Yes, Fascinate, and then Suggestion could be used as a combat-dodging opening volley for up to three creatures, but the Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 bard’s level + bard’s Cha modifier) is a strong deterrent against trying this on clever Drow.
That's not bad - enough to get past a few sentries, throw some dudes off, etc. After playing D&D Online, I'm looking forward to seeing a bard do his thing. I may have to mix up some potions of Eagle's Splendor for you as well for that extra added +4 to your charisma to get +2 to your modifier - that will help. :)

T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

And by no way do I mean to tell anyone how to play, etc.
I'm just thinking ideas, going for good discussion, looking at some
tactics/options, etc. before getting into combat, etc.

Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

That's not bad - enough to get past a few sentries, throw some dudes off, etc. After playing D&D Online, I'm looking forward to seeing a bard do his thing. I may have to mix up some potions of Eagle's Splendor for you as well for that extra added +4 to your charisma to get +2 to your modifier - that will help.
Yes! That's the kind of group synergy I'm talk' 'bout! - not just "how can you help me" but how can we strengthen each other. It's the collaborative social aspect that made me want to roll a bard and will always draw me back to D&D/Pathfinder/any game of this ilk.
And by no way do I mean to tell anyone how to play, etc.
I'm just thinking ideas, going for good discussion, looking at some
tactics/options, etc. before getting into combat, etc.
For the above stated reasons, the day I don't welcome discussion of any kind is the day I hand in my dice. That being said, how dare you tell me my bidness? Wah! Wah! Pew, pew, pew!
erilar

Post by erilar »

T1Mirage wrote:Another possible tactic is we start preparing Dispel Magic against the drow or even using the counterspell rules.
Phil learns this spell pretty much every night. Just hasn't come in particularly handy just yet.

Re. Fascinate, Phil has Spell Focus in Illusion, but while several spells provide the Fascinate condition, I think the usefulness of that effect is very limited. Almost needs to be used on a crowd of neutral city dwellers or something. Not at all effective vs. actual enemies IIRC.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer