Chapter 27: The Observatory, Part 3

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Chapter 27: The Observatory, Part 3

Post by NukeHavoc »

Nolveniss Azrinae, the drow mage responsible for the Armageddon Echo has been defeated, and the heroes have escaped from the Echo with voluminous notes about the phenomenon. Upon returning to Celwynvian they learn that the elves are now fully in control of the city. They also discover that the elves have determined that one of the city's elf gates now leads deep below the earth to a drow "vault". It is believed that the secret to the drow's next move must lie there, as it was through this gate that the drow were assaulting the city.

The elves are now researching magic that will allow them to temporarily transform a strike team into drow, thus allowing them to infiltrate the city and learn more about the dark elves' world-ending schemes. You have volunteered for this task; you have several weeks to rest and recover before undertaking this mission.

Everyone advances to 9th level (75,000 XP) regardless of whether you participated in last night's adventure. The elves have also granted you a tremendous boon: everyone gets a reward worth 10,000 GP. This can be a magic item worth up to that amount, or several smaller magic items, or just a big pile of gold. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Re: Chapter 27: The Observatory, Part 3

Post by setanta14 »

Added a level of Fighter (Fighter 5/Rogue 4 now)

Skender will spend his elven ducats thus:

Increase bonus on Ring of Protection from +1 to +2 (3000gp)

Increase bonus on Amulet of Natural Armor from +1 to +2 (3000gp)

Add Defiant trait to armor, which is a +1 ability that provides +2 AC and DR 2/- against creatures of a certain type: Humanoid [Elf] (3000 gp)

Obtain Ring of Arcane Signets (1000 gp)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Jheru adds another level of monk. He gains improved evasion and selects the Shatter Defenses feat.

For his reward from the elves, Jheru selects a Belt of Physical Might (+2 Str, +2 Con).

I have updated his entry in the Roll Call thread to reflect his new level and items.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Cutheric is going to request a +3 chain shirt

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

It sounds like this time we take before heading underground may be our last opportunity to upgrade our gear and supplies. In addition to the 10,000gp elven item/cashout we've all been granted, which is the coolest friggin' option ever, I wanted to clarify the items and gp we haven't yet distributed (or at least I am forgetting how said distribution was covered):

Unclaimed(?) Items:
  • Wand of Heat Metal (Divine CL 3, 20 charges)- did Emeryon claim this?
    Lyre of Timely Inspiration (+1 Masterwork bonus to Perform Stringed Instrument) - I think Gavin has this w/ Recorder & Nate has Horn of Good/Evil
    Crusher (Heavy Mace +1)
    Mithral Shirt (x6)
    Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds (x4)
    Death Needle (Rapier +1) - I think Nate & I were both interested...can the elves determine it's nastiness properties?
    Wand of Acid Arrow (CL 3, 9 charges)
    Scroll of Glitter Dust (CL 3)
Unclaimed(?) Cashmoney:
  • 3,750gp - for resale of Harp of Charming to elves
    500gp - for resale of Musical Bowls x10
    119gp of ancient elven vintage - given to elves in good faith?
    11 beryls (100gp each) - given to elves in good faith?
    Clear spindle Ioun stone (sustains w/out food or water) - given to elves...?
This is the list of loot from when Gavin met up, around Chapter 22. If the monetary portion stands as listed, 4,250gp split 9 ways is 472gp and change. Can we make additional purchases with our own gold, or would you rather consider the elven war camp tapped for additional gear, post-conflict (aka, 10,000gp boon is everone's sole purchasing power)? And I certainly don't mean to sound greedy or grabby, I just want to maximize our "shopping" trip before delving into hostile territory with no known options for equipment management. That and I love this element of the game; I'm totally imagining a "gearing up/training" montage like in 'Commando' or 'The Matrix'...or every 'Rocky' movie ever made.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Gaving is probably taking another Bard level, but wants to consult with the casters in the group before choosing a spell. He's considering taking Clairvoyance/Clairaudience for purposes of gathering information (or maybe Scrying) unless we already have a similar option(?)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Fen's Ego wrote:And I certainly don't mean to sound greedy or grabby, I just want to maximize our "shopping" trip before delving into hostile territory with no known options for equipment management. That and I love this element of the game; I'm totally imagining a "gearing up/training" montage like in 'Commando' or 'The Matrix'...or every 'Rocky' movie ever made.
With the war for the city over, the elves are able to teleport to their remote cities and bring in additional supplies. You can purchase whatever you have gold to purchase (pending DM approval of course. :))
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Fen's Ego wrote:Gaving is probably taking another Bard level, but wants to consult with the casters in the group before choosing a spell. He's considering taking Clairvoyance/Clairaudience for purposes of gathering information (or maybe Scrying) unless we already have a similar option(?)
Scratch that. WTH am I playing a Bard that's skill heavy, great at Bluffing and (soon) Diplomacy, not to mention the ability to Disguise and Perform(Act) if not for information gathering/providing purposes? Time to turn on everyone's favorite dump stat and let my Charisma shine! (That...and I'd really rather learn Slow, Haste or Fear).
erilar

Post by erilar »

Fen's Ego wrote:Gaving is probably taking another Bard level, but wants to consult with the casters in the group before choosing a spell. He's considering taking Clairvoyance/Clairaudience for purposes of gathering information (or maybe Scrying) unless we already have a similar option(?)
I haven't learned either of those spells, so no conflict w/ Phil.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Fen's Ego wrote:
Unclaimed(?) Items:
  • Wand of Heat Metal (Divine CL 3, 20 charges)- did Emeryon claim this?
    Lyre of Timely Inspiration (+1 Masterwork bonus to Perform Stringed Instrument) - I think Gavin has this w/ Recorder of Honeyed Notes & Nate has Horn of Good/Evil
    Crusher (Heavy Mace +1)
    Mithral Shirt (x6)
    Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds (x4)
    Death Needle (Rapier +1) - I think Nate & I were both interested...can the elves determine it's nastiness properties?
    Wand of Acid Arrow (CL 3, 9 charges)
    Scroll of Glitter Dust (CL 3)
Unclaimed(?) Cashmoney:
  • 3,750gp - for resale of Harp of Charming to elves
    500gp - for resale of Musical Bowls x10
    119gp of ancient elven vintage - given to elves in good faith?
    11 beryls (100gp each) - given to elves in good faith?
    Clear spindle Ioun stone (sustains w/out food or water) - given to elves...?
Ken, thanks for giving the okay for a 'mercantile liberation operation', or 'shopping spree'.

Death Needle (Rapier +1): If the elves are unable to determine anything about it, Gavin will use a charge of his Wand of Identify (one of my personal purchases). Depending on the outcome (i.e. Death Needle = 'Curses the weapon bearer with impotence...or worse'), I will roll on that.
Wand of Acid Arrow (CL 3, 9 charges): Interested, but if someone else wants it, he will just purchase a Wand of Magic Missile CL 1.
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds (x4): Gavin has never gotten drunk on a Potion, but will grab one only if our front line fighters decline.
Scroll of Glitter Dust (CL 3): Glitterdust is a known spell, so would only take the scroll if no one else wants it or we can't get any gold for it. Just being practical.

The bard volunteers to use another Identify charge on Crusher for anyone interested (or for resale). And if nobody wants six Mithral Shirts (1,100gp each), could we sell/trade them to the elves for the standard 50% value? That would tack on (550gp x 6 = 3,300gp divided by 9 = ) 366gp per party member + 472gp from the gold stash for a total of...838gp for everyone! It's like we're on Operah! Thoughts?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Fen's Ego wrote:Death Needle (Rapier +1): If the elves are unable to determine anything about it, Gavin will use a charge of his Wand of Identify (one of my personal purchases). Depending on the outcome (i.e. Death Needle = 'Curses the weapon bearer with impotence...or worse'), I will roll on that.
Your divinations reveal that "Death Needle" has an extra ability:
Cruel: When the wielder strikes a creature that is frightened, shaken, or panicked with a cruel wepon, that creature becomes sickened for 1 round. When the wielder uses this weapon to knock unconscious or kill a creature, he gains 5 temporary hit points that last for 10 minutes.