Interlude 15: Info on the Drow/Darklands

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
Jonkga

Re: Info on the Drow/Darklands

Post by Jonkga »

Jheru is also going to spend time during the downtime to gather and examine some drow clothing/gear. He's going to study it for any special insignia and/or symbols, to see if a pattern emerges, or if we can guess anything about military organizations, etc.

He's also going to outfit himself with as much drow regular clothing, sans distinctive insignia, as he can. Not replacing his combat gear, but to replace his tian clothing. Also, to replace any mundane belts, bags, bandoliers, harnesses, tunics, breeches, etc. as he can, to better help with the deception.

He will also see what the elves have gathered in terms of drow poisons, etc. to add to the team's supplies, also to help appear more like we belong once we get below ground.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Jheru will also talk with the elves, both the leaders and scholars as well as soldiers from the front lines, to see if anyone knows anything about drow names/naming conventions in hopes we can come up with something believable to call ourselves, should it come to that.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:Jheru is also going to spend time during the downtime to gather and examine some drow clothing/gear. He's going to study it for any special insignia and/or symbols, to see if a pattern emerges, or if we can guess anything about military organizations, etc.
You do turn up a few insignia and there is a pattern. One insignia is etched into blood red stone. These are the most prevalent and were carried by every defeated drow.
drow-rune-a.png
drow-rune-a.png (38.03 KiB) Viewed 10319 times

The second was etched in dark blue stone. It was carried primarily by spellcasters and clerics.
drow-rune-b.png
drow-rune-b.png (41.91 KiB) Viewed 10318 times

Stylized versions of these symbols appear etched into sword blades, as silver and/or gold lapel pins, on chained pendants, etc. They seem to be core to the drow's identity.
He's also going to outfit himself with as much drow regular clothing, sans distinctive insignia, as he can. Not replacing his combat gear, but to replace his tian clothing. Also, to replace any mundane belts, bags, bandoliers, harnesses, tunics, breeches, etc. as he can, to better help with the deception.
A prudent measure, to be sure.
He will also see what the elves have gathered in terms of drow poisons, etc. to add to the team's supplies, also to help appear more like we belong once we get below ground.
With the defeat of the drow there are more than enough poisons, alchemical weapons, and other drow equipment to go around.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:Jheru will also talk with the elves, both the leaders and scholars as well as soldiers from the front lines, to see if anyone knows anything about drow names/naming conventions in hopes we can come up with something believable to call ourselves, should it come to that.
Your conversations yield a number of male drow names:

Adinica
Dhauntel
Drizyl
Erthdax
Kelnar
Kronor
Mastran
Mournerin
Neervyr
Phyxafein
Qualnmice
Quevdinn
Ranhriir
Rizmur
Sornolil
Veszica
Wodvrae
Zektrin
Zekyrd
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Jonkga wrote:Jheru is also going to spend time during the downtime to gather and examine some drow clothing/gear. He's going to study it for any special insignia and/or symbols, to see if a pattern emerges, or if we can guess anything about military organizations, etc.

Gavin is taking notes on the variety of military raiment and hierarchical differences, making sketches where necessary and saving whatever spare sigils/insignia the group may need for future disguise design. He even does a spot of sewing and mending, though it draws no few odd looks. He assists Jheru in distributing appropriate drow clothing to the rest of the party - with what limited knowledge we have. Based on our inferences of the red and blue insigna (general combatant/caster distinction), each party member will have whatever equipment matches his class. Gavin will also visit the craftsmen and magical artisans within the encampment and commission the creation of a certain wondrous item that may prove pivotal in a pinch:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/won ... y-garments
At 200gp each, we would be fools not to keep one on our person at all times. Let me know if you would like one commissioned.
Jonkga wrote:He will also see what the elves have gathered in terms of drow poisons, etc. to add to the team's supplies, also to help appear more like we belong once we get below ground.
Let's fish around for anti-venom/anti-toxin as well, either among the drow supplies or our elven allies.

Do we have any live drow captives that may be interrogated? If we're gonna hide in plain sight once we're among the drow, we will want to determine a base of operations that provides as much privacy as possible (not some barracks in a military staging area where we'll have to sleep with one eye open). Unless we are wearing the skin of a former innkeeper or gambling den operator, we're going to find ourselves drawing a lot of unwarranted attention.

**unwanted attention, rather. Given the circumstances, it is extremely 'warranted'.
Last edited by Fen's Ego on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

In all of the preperations you suddenly notice that Tholyr is not there. You didn't notice right away because he did not participate on the final missions against the drow in the Echo. After a few inquiries, the elves inform you that Tholyr fell to the drow in the Echo while he was skulking around by himself. The elves happened upon the immediate aftermath of the battle and defeated his attackers. There were many drow who had already suffered multiple stab wounds, some apparantly inflicted after the drow were already prone ....

The elves were able to recover Tholyr's remains and, unsure of dwarven burial rituals, they turned Tholyr's over to those other dwarves who recently arrived .....

:)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

EvilGenius wrote:The elves were able to recover Tholyr's remains and, unsure of dwarven burial rituals, they turned Tholyr's over to those other dwarves who recently arrived .....

:)
Perhaps we should sacrifice his remains to his...ill-tempered pony...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Fen's Ego wrote: Gavin will also visit the craftsmen and magical artisans within the encampment and commission the creation of a certain wondrous item that may prove pivotal in a pinch:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/won ... y-garments
At 200gp each, we would be fools not to keep one on our person at all times. Let me know if you would like one commissioned.
Eviana is impressed with this bit of arcane insight, and she offers to pay for the creation of these "sleeves of many garments" for each of the adventurers.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Fen's Ego wrote:Do we have any live drow captives that may be interrogated? If we're gonna hide in plain sight once we're among the drow, we will want to determine a base of operations that provides as much privacy as possible (not some barracks in a military staging area where we'll have to sleep with one eye open). Unless we are wearing the skin of a former innkeeper or gambling den operator, we're going to find ourselves drawing a lot of unwarranted attention.
A few foot soldiers, but no more than that. The officers either died fighting or fled through the corrupted elf gate to the drow vault city. The drow fought fanatically, as though they were motivated by a fate worse than death. Those who were captured are sullen and uncommunicative, refusing to eat or drink anything offered by the elves. They speak not a word of common, instead conversing in their own tongue intermixed with another language the elves do not recognize.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

As you continue with your preparations, Eviana calls a council of war. "My friends, I have good news. As you know my people know little of the Land Below. We concern ourselves with the sun-blessed world of forests and green nature. We are not, however, without allies. In our long war with the drow a few of us have sought to find allies outside the elven race, those who might know better of these 'Darklands'."

"Allow me to introduce the esteemed Valkur of Clan Baar'Arrd, Devotee of Torag. He and his companion, a ranger of some great skill in the Land Below, are members of an elite band of dwarven guardsmen: the Wardens of the Deep. They and their kin scour the dark roads that their clans took on their Quest for Sky so many generations ago, fighting enemies that would see to follow the dwarves to the surface."

"Their knowledge of the drow is incomplete, but unlike many they have actually fought -- and bested -- this shadow enemy. More importantly, they know the depths. Perhaps not as deep as the drow vault you seek -- Master Valkur informs me this is even farther then his people normally delve -- but the Wardens know much and more of life below ground. Either would be an asset to you on your journey, and we welcome their aid. I hope you will as well."
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Our thanks to Eviana for this gift; it will be used to (gods willing) great effect.
A few foot soldiers, but no more than that. The officers either died fighting or fled through the corrupted elf gate to the drow vault city. The drow fought fanatically, as though they were motivated by a fate worse than death. Those who were captured are sullen and uncommunicative, refusing to eat or drink anything offered by the elves. They speak not a word of common, instead conversing in their own tongue intermixed with another language the elves do not recognize.
So any attempts at communication are stonewalled.
(Pending DM approval) Gavin thinks it may be time to test out their cover before we leave. He approaches Giseil Voslil and asks to undergo the recorporeal incarnation as soon as it is ready. Perhaps, if he is thrown in with a prisoner in the guise of another captured drow - albeit one who is 'disoriented' from his treatment - he could bluff his way to gleaning some information of value.
"Their knowledge of the drow is incomplete, but unlike many they have actually fought -- and bested -- this shadow enemy. More importantly, they know the depths. Perhaps not as deep as the drow vault you seek -- Master Valkur informs me this is even farther then his people normally delve -- but the Wardens know much and more of life below ground. Either would be an asset to you on your journey, and we welcome their aid. I hope you will as well."
Gavin will welcome and consult with Valkur before attempting his interrogation. Anything he may have experienced in combat (or witnessed in social interactions) may help.
The elves were able to recover Tholyr's remains and, unsure of dwarven burial rituals, they turned Tholyr's over to those other dwarves who recently arrived .....
Gavin will stand vigil over Tholyr for a night before the Wardens arrive...more symbolic than anything, since Gavin knew him but little and less of dwarven customs. Never one for idle hands, he starts to compose an epic lay throughout the night, but scraps it by dawn. With the morning sun comes inspiration...he shifts gears entirely, fills his Dragon Flagon with ale (or whatever the Elven approximation is) and frames out a bawdy Dwarven drinking song in honor of Tholyr.
His slurred singing, which by now is more like melodic shouting, wakes nearby elves who don't know what to make of the scene. But even the fair folk have to admit, the chorus is pretty damn catchy.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."