Ch. 29, Interlude 16: The Streets of Zirnakaynin

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Ch. 29, Interlude 16: The Streets of Zirnakaynin

Post by NukeHavoc »

You stand on the outskirts of the Pale Market. A half hour ago you witnessed a demon cultist slice open a willing sacrifice to some foul abyssal creature; the casual murder -- witnessed by hundreds -- echoes in your minds.

Warden Thyur has rejoined you, and reported that the messenger you'd hired to deliver arcane spell components to your manor house hopped on a giant lizard and then used it to climb the massive walls of the vault, scurrying across the ceiling before disappearing into one of the large vents there. Through the vents you can catch glimmers of purple light; clearly there is another cavern above you.

But how to get there? Clearly the lizards are one way -- the creatures are tied behind many of the shops in the Pale Market, although they are clearly beasts of burden used for deliveries and such, and not for sale (or at least, not typically for sale...)

There is also the great central pillar that rises from the center of this drow vault and joins with the ceiling far above. It's possible tunnels within that pillar might lead to the upper level. There are no other obvious ways to reach the upper level, but it's entirely possible they exist; the city is huge, and you can only see so much of it from the Pale Market.

Here is the map of the main cavern of Zirnakaynin. You are currently at #21: The Pale Market. The great pillar is #17.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Re: Ch. 29, Interlude 16: The Streets of Zirnakaynin

Post by Jonkga »

Jheru will suggest to the group that we head to the central pillar and make our way to the upper cavern. He will suggest the group go without calling attention to itself, but without skulking or hiding in anyway, either. We should simply proceed as a returned contingent from our house, heading back to report to our first son.

Jheru will suggest we skip further exploration for now, obviously taking note of things we pass, but making our first priority getting to our house.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Thyur agrees with Jeru. We should definitely get to "our" house and assess further.

As a side note, Thyur is going to make note of absolutely everything about the drow; their clothes, their weapons, their symbols, their architecture their social structure, their food sources and distribution, their rituals the natural cavern characteristics, the beasts they keep, their languange structure, the magic they use and how they use it.

These observations will serve two purposes: 1) they will form the basis of Thuyr declaring Drow as a favored enemy next level, and 2) Thuyr will be authoring his very own Pathfinder Chronicle featuring the Drow. :D
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:As a side note, Thyur is going to make note of absolutely everything about the drow; their clothes, their weapons, their symbols, their architecture their social structure, their food sources and distribution, their rituals the natural cavern characteristics, the beasts they keep, their languange structure, the magic they use and how they use it.
Such detailed observations would require reams of notebooks, acres of canvas, and make the journey to the upper cavern take weeks -- the city is simply that overwhelming. Casual observation of the same is doable.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I should have been more clear. The detailed notes are something which will be done over time. Yes, as we make toward 'Our House', Thuyr will make as detailed observations as he can, maybe jotting a quick note or two if he is able. If and when we get rest time (which I understand is not right now), he will start recording and organizing his observations. This will be done over the course of our many adventures in the drow lands.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Tholyr will take especial note of leadership/prestige roles as we progress through the city. He will look to see who is being deferential to whom and in what circumstances (people purchasing from shops, who parts crowds in the street, etc) if he can.
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

On board with Jheru and Thuyr/Tholyr about getting to our 'house' as a launching platform for all to come.

Understanding the significance of infiltration and eager to stretch out his 'performing muscle', Gavin will focus his attention on Drow behavior: their dress and mannerism, body language and verbal articulation. This goes for women as well as men, as we have discovered the social structure hints strongly at female dominance over males.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."