Magical Item Gained from Deck of Many Things

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
EvilGenius

Magical Item Gained from Deck of Many Things

Post by EvilGenius »

Ken, would it be ok to pull an item from the Ultimate Equipment Guide? Here's a link:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/won ... ldric-bane

Briefly, it would allow me to grant the +1 magical ability, Bane, to a melee weapon. I can use the Bane ability for 5 rounds/day and you can change the type of Bane as a swift action if you'd like.

This would give us some flexibility when dealing with Demons/Devils or other nasty things. It wouldn't allow my to bypass their damage reduction but the extra 2d6+2 damage helps overcome it.

If you would prefer not bringing in items from Ultimate Equipment, I think I'll go with a Pearl of the Sirines. It grants water breathing, a swim speed and the ability to act normally and cast spells normally while underwater. Always good to get abilities in another environment. :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Fen's Ego

Re: Magical Item Gained from Deck of Many Things

Post by Fen's Ego »

Whoops, didn't realize that UE wasn't canon for our purposes. As part of my elven boon, I gave my whip the Bane attribute against Humanoid (elf). Come to think of it, I may have purchased an item from UE as well. I'll wait on ruling, as giving up these items for something else wouldn't scramble anything we've done at the table since entering the portal.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Ken, when you have time this week, please post or link me the details of my transmutation. I remember that it is a spit attack (Ranged Touch, -5 penalty) that can be used 3/day, but I didn't write down range or effect, etc, and I also suffer a -4 Cha penalty.

Follow-up question:
Do our respective 'marks of shame' essentially preclude the three of us (well, Bob is fu*%ed) from any type of infiltration roleplaying that involves blending in with other classes/castes of Drow society? I assume drow with these kinds of fleshwarpings are shunned, or at the very least considered well below nobility for purposes of social interaction. This seems like the kind of handicap that can't be overcome with a Disguise Kit - unless I go REALLY HEAVY on the foundation.

Gavin has the Alter Self spell, so he's not rendered completely useless in roleplaying situations (unless I cough and spit on everyone I talk to), but I just wanted to know if I/we should expect to sit out on most of these scenarios or just get used to mingling in limited encounter types. Alternately, we could make it a priority to seek a reversal of the mutation, but that seems to defeat the purpose of learning from our mistake or striving toward our greater goal on a deadline, no less.

Just to be clear, I think this kind of penalty is a really cool and well-integrated part of the campaign and specifically, flavor for a bunch of desperate heroes wading through the heart of the invading army - 'Welcome to Zirnakynin, Gavin. Hope you survive the experience!'
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Yeah, I assume that as a drider I'm just out of some scenarios, although I can probably do the whole scout ahead/gather info by 'blending in with the servants' tactic fairly well now. :) But I'm not expecting to make any drow friends.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Ken, I'm also going to use this thread to resolve the card Jheru pulled from the Deck of Many Things.

Jheru pulled the card that gave him +50,000 XP and one Medium Wondrous Item.

The XP moves him to 10th level. The item he would choose is the Monk's Robe. It would give him +5 monk levels when figuring AC bonus, unarmed damage dice type, and give him 1 additional Stunning Fist attempt per day. (That would give him basically +1 to AC and make his damage dice 2d6.)

The robe is detailed here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/won ... obe-monk-s

I have adjusted Jheru's stats for the robe and the added level, and have updated his entry in the Roll Call thread here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4049
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:The XP moves him to 10th level. The item he would choose is the Monk's Robe. It would give him +5 monk levels when figuring AC bonus, unarmed damage dice type, and give him 1 additional Stunning Fist attempt per day. (That would give him basically +1 to AC and make his damage dice 2d6.)
Works for me.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

The more I look, the more I think I'm going to request a Tome of Understanding, +1. That will bump my Wisdom from 13 to 14 which will grant +1 Will saves, +1 on Survival, Perception and Heal checks, and a bonus 2nd level Ranger spell. I don't know, I'm still considering. :)
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Been reading up on my two draws from the DoMT - FLAMES and FATES
Flames:
Hot anger, jealousy, and envy are but a few of the possible motivational forces for the enmity. The enmity of the outsider can’t be ended until one of the parties has been slain. Determine the outsider randomly, and assume that it attacks the character (or plagues her life in some way) within 1d20 days.
Flames has me pitted against a randomly generated outsider that could very well be a Balor, which could destroy our entire party and severely hamper our campaign. Or it could be a Dretch
Fates:
This card enables the character to avoid even an instantaneous occurrence if so desired, for the fabric of reality is unraveled and respun. Note that it does not enable something to happen. It can only stop something from happening or reverse a past occurrence. The reversal is only for the character who drew the card; other party members may have to endure the situation.
If I use Fates to "reverse a past occurrence", could I use it to avoid pulling Flames? Or is that too similar to Jim's use of Wish? If so, am I still bound by the DoMT to draw a second card, which could be awesome or awful (I'm looking at you, The Void)? If the later - and Gavin opted to press his luck again - I would be happy to resolve it in posts before the next session.
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Fen's Ego wrote:Ken, when you have time this week, please post or link me the details of my transmutation. I remember that it is a spit attack (Ranged Touch, -5 penalty) that can be used 3/day, but I didn't write down range or effect, etc, and I also suffer a -4 Cha penalty.

Follow-up question:
Do our respective 'marks of shame' essentially preclude the three of us (well, Bob is fu*%ed) from any type of infiltration roleplaying that involves blending in with other classes/castes of Drow society? I assume drow with these kinds of fleshwarpings are shunned, or at the very least considered well below nobility for purposes of social interaction. This seems like the kind of handicap that can't be overcome with a Disguise Kit - unless I go REALLY HEAVY on the foundation.

Gavin has the Alter Self spell, so he's not rendered completely useless in roleplaying situations (unless I cough and spit on everyone I talk to), but I just wanted to know if I/we should expect to sit out on most of these scenarios or just get used to mingling in limited encounter types. Alternately, we could make it a priority to seek a reversal of the mutation, but that seems to defeat the purpose of learning from our mistake or striving toward our greater goal on a deadline, no less.

Just to be clear, I think this kind of penalty is a really cool and well-integrated part of the campaign and specifically, flavor for a bunch of desperate heroes wading through the heart of the invading army - 'Welcome to Zirnakynin, Gavin. Hope you survive the experience!'
- BUMP -
Been reading up on my two draws from the DoMT - FLAMES and FATES

Quote:
Flames:
Hot anger, jealousy, and envy are but a few of the possible motivational forces for the enmity. The enmity of the outsider can’t be ended until one of the parties has been slain. Determine the outsider randomly, and assume that it attacks the character (or plagues her life in some way) within 1d20 days.

Flames has me pitted against a randomly generated outsider that could very well be a Balor, which could destroy our entire party and severely hamper our campaign. Or it could be a Dretch

Quote:
Fates:
This card enables the character to avoid even an instantaneous occurrence if so desired, for the fabric of reality is unraveled and respun. Note that it does not enable something to happen. It can only stop something from happening or reverse a past occurrence. The reversal is only for the character who drew the card; other party members may have to endure the situation.

If I use Fates to "reverse a past occurrence", could I use it to avoid pulling Flames? Or is that too similar to Jim's use of Wish? If so, am I still bound by the DoMT to draw a second card, which could be awesome or awful (I'm looking at you, The Void)? If the later - and Gavin opted to press his luck again - I would be happy to resolve it in posts before the next session.
- DOUBLE BUMP -
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I think the plain reading of the card indicates that you can avoid the effect from the first pull if you'd like. It's the DM's call on whether or not avoiding the first card pull would grant you a different (possibly much worse) pull.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

EvilGenius wrote:It's the DM's call on whether or not avoiding the first card pull would grant you a different (possibly much worse) pull.
I support this interpretation...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Lars Porsenna wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:It's the DM's call on whether or not avoiding the first card pull would grant you a different (possibly much worse) pull.
I support this interpretation...

Damon.
I agree. If you negate that first draw, you're still obligated to take your two draws. The second card made the first draw never happen ... so you need to draw again.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

I agree. If you negate that first draw, you're still obligated to take your two draws. The second card made the first draw never happen ... so you need to draw again.
Okay. As fun as it may be to combat something as awful as a building sized demon, Gavin doesn't think it worth the risk to the group and the mission. And 'calling upon' the FATES as a get out of jail free card would only be useful if his bacon were the only one in the fire, rather than the entire party (unless he pulls the card that changes his alignment to evil).

OOC I pray now is the time I stop 'rolling' poorly.

BIC Gavin steps away from the room that opened onto the rich-tapestried feast hall, places his hands on his hips and hesitantly looks up. "Okay...I don't know how this works, but these cards....one moment." He takes another long pull of pure, Elven spring water that turns into fiery, devilish spirits, then slaps himself in the face. "Better. Where was I? Right, the cards. Listen, if there ever was a good time for a dash of luck, I certainly wouldn't refuse it now. Unless...unless I'm supposed to make my own luck? No wait, that's not you that's Avandra. Who the hell is Avandra? I've never heard that name in-JUST WHAT THE HELL WAS IN THAT WATER?!" Shakes his head to clear his vision, sets his shoulders and says in his best stage voice, "I call on the FATES to avoid having drawn the FLAMES."

Again, I don't mind resolving this online, in case I draw something that puts Gavin out of commission or otherwise requires precious game time to figure out. Whatever works for you, Ken.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

We can resolve the draw on Sunday.
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

sounds good.
rolling backup character in case of terrible death.