Chapter 34: The Fetid Palace

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Chapter 34: The Fetid Palace

Post by NukeHavoc »

Active XP: 20,000

Gavin
Jheru
Skender
Cutheric
Jorm

Inactive XP: 10,000

Phil
Thyur
Emeryon Star-seeker
Maturin
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Re: Chapter 34: The Fetid Palace

Post by NukeHavoc »

Brief recap:

The heroes traveled to the Hanging Forest where they attempted to explore the Livid Sanctum, where they had been told one of the doomsday glyph resided by the jinn of the Temple of Bound Earth. The Livid Sanctum was located inside a massive white root-like fungus that hung from the ceiling of the cavern. During their ascent the heroes were assaulted by a cloaker, who succeeded in knocking the barbarian off the fungus while badly wounding several party members.

The crash of the barbarian into the ground below drew the attention of a hungry purple worm ... and the even hungrier form of the Moldering Emperor, a gigantic mutated neolithid. The purple worm swallowed the barbarian, but the subsequent attack by the Emperor caused it to spit the dying warrior out onto the cavern floor, where he was later rescued by his allies. The worm was then slain by the Emperor which, sated by its dinner, then wandered off into the Hanging Forest.

After killing the cloaker the party rested for several hours. In the "morning" Carilla cast a divination spell, and determined that the glyph was not actually located in the Livid Sanctum; they had been lied to. The actual location was to the east, near the Lake of Black Blood, in a location known as the Fetid Palace.

They chose to abandon the Livid Sanctum and went to the Fetid Palace, which revealed itself to be a gigantic, hollowed-out mushroom. In it they found a pool of vile liquid ... and within the pool the slumbering form of the Moldering Emperor. They also determined the cavernous space within the fungus was filled with spores. Immune to such things, Jheru entered the mushroom and carefully made his way to a side chamber, where he discovered the Glyph of Vigilance. The glyph seemed almost sentient, and when he touched it he felt an panicky urge to tell everyone of a threat to the glyph. Using his diplomatic skills, he was able to convince the magical construct that there was no threat, and that it should relax.

It did so ... and disappeared in a shower of power-tinged butterflies that flew through Jheru, endowing him with tremendous powers of stealth for a short period of time (72 hours). These butterflies left the mushroom and began winging their way toward the Rotstone Hallows, a swampy rock-strewn wasteland to the south of the Hanging Forest (see: http://wiki.griffcrier.com/index.php?ti ... edirect=no)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange