Weird Pulp set-up

"There are things that go bump in the night ... and we are the ones who bump back."
Lars Porsenna

Re: Weird Pulp set-up

Post by Lars Porsenna »

EvilGenius wrote:So we are missing the following Pulp Archtypes:
Mysterious Guy with an actual Monkey
:)
I vote that Jon make this character!

Damon, cause monkeys are fun-eeee....
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

OK, I still need to figure out details (and find which box has my SW books in it), but I'm thinking the Mechanic/Technical Savant type of character. Think Dex from Sky Captain as one example of this archetype. I'm toying with making him middle-eastern or from the indian subcontinent, as well. Not sure if I'm going to go weird tech, or just really good with regular technology, and/or whether I'm going to go just mechanically adept or possibly electrical.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jonkga wrote:I'm thinking the Mechanic/Technical Savant type of character.
Seconded that he should have a monkey. :D
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Damon --

You said you were changing the name of your character. Previously it was Carvus "Creepy Carcass" McGinnis. I think you said you were dropping the "Carvus" bit; what's his new first name?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:Tom - On-A-Mission-From-God Priestly Healer
I think he's more of a holy warrior than a healer at this point, but Tom can clarify.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

NukeHavoc wrote:Damon --

You said you were changing the name of your character. Previously it was Carvus "Creepy Carcass" McGinnis. I think you said you were dropping the "Carvus" bit; what's his new first name?
That's for you guys to find out...! :D

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

So, here's my character. And, as stated/requested, he's a grease-monkey with a monkey. :)

Hividar Macid
Called "Sid" by most people who deign to talk to him (a play on the pronunciation of his last name), he is a small, slight, sickly looking man who looks younger than his approximately 30 years. And, as a Kurd from western Turkey, he is obviously a foreigner just about everywhere he goes. His family fled Turkey to avoid the resprisals following the Kurdish uprisings in the late 20's/early 30's, and he found himself in London. His father was working for a wealthy family who came to London so their sons could be educated Eton, but as he was from much lower means, that was not the future for him. Besides, he was already an adult, even if his small stature and poor health often made folks mistake him for much younger. He worked odd jobs, and maintained ready employment once his aptitude for anything mechanical or electrical came to light. His talents got him noticed by some of the various crime factions in London, and to avoid any entanglements, he made his way to America. Now in New York, he works in a garage, and hires himself out for odd jobs as well.

Sid is small, skinny, and not very robust. His workshirts and dungarees always look too big, and his belts look cinched well past the intended lengths. He frequently has a tool belt on and tools around him, and is often covered in grease an oil, though he tries his best to keep clean. He carries a Jaff bag, a shoulder bag made from a woven Kurdish rug, filled with his supplies when he travels. He has a M1921 Bolo Mauser he carries in a shoulder holster, which he acquired as it was a smaller version of the standard Mauser, but which still looks too big in his small hands. He frequently uses a large Crescent wrench as a club if he must fight, but he usually tries to avoid direct combat.

Sid also has a companion, a white-headed capuchin monkey named Carl. It seems that ever since he was young, Sid has had a way with animals. While working in London, a client had an ornery monkey, who didn't like anyone, but took to Sid the second they met. When paying him for his work, the client added Carl to the payment, as he liked Sid better than anyone ever. They've traveled together ever since. Carl has a small leather vest that holds some small wrenches and tools, and he frequently uses his tail to assist Sid while making repairs.

Attributes:
Agility d6
Smarts d8
Spirit d8
Strength d4
Vigor d4

Derived Stats:
Pace 6
Parry 2
Toughness 3
Charisma -2

Skills:
Boating d4
Driving d4
Fighting d4-2
Knowledge: Mechanics d8
Knowledge: Electricity d8
Common Knowledge d8
Lockpicking d4
Notice d8
Piloting d4
Repair d8
Shooting d4

Hindrances:
Outsider: Kurd (-2 Cha) (minor)
Small (-1 Toughness) (major)
Anemic (-2 Fatigue checks) (minor)

Edges:
McGuyver: can improvise when the need for a tool arises. No penalty to Trait rolls for not having correct tool. Can rig improvised devices to escape traps, etc.
Beast Master: animals won't attack unless attacked first, has an animal companion (Extra)

Weapon:
Crescent Wrench Str+d4 damage
Mauser pistol 2d6 damage, 12/24/48 range

Gear:
Jaff bag
Tools

Languages:
Kurdish
Turkish
English

Carl, capuchin monkey
Agility d8, Smarts d6 (A), Spirit d10, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Climbing d8, Notice d6, Stealth d6
Pace 6, Parry 3, Toughness 3
Special Abilities:
Acrobat: +2 Agility to perform acrobatics, +1 to Parry if unencumbered
Bite/Claw: Str damage
Prehensile tail: can grip and hold things with tail
Size -2: Carl weighs just under 5 pounds
Small: attackers subtract 2 from their attacks to hit
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Alistair Sebastian Cadwalader Martindrake III

Attributes:
Agility d8
Smarts d6
Spirit d6
Strength d6
Vigor d6

Skills:
Fighting (Agility) d12 (7 pts)
Know. Esotericism (Smarts) d8 (4 pt)
Riding (Agility) d4 (1 pts)
Shooting (Agility) d8 (3 pts)
Spellcasting (Smarts) d4 (advance)

Charisma: –
Pace: 6
Parry: 8 (2+ half of d12 Fighting)
Toughness: 5 (2 + half of d6 Vigor)

Hindrances: (4 pts)

Code of Honor (Major, 2 pts)
Alistair is a strict adherant of the Code Duello, a centuries old set of rules for dueling used among gentlemen. This got him into a bit of trouble following a scoring controversy at the 1924 Olympics, when he became embroiled in the dispute between the Italian and Hungarian teams which led to a set of duels between the Italian Epee captain and the son of the coach of the Hungarian team.

Delusional-Atlantist (Minor, 1 pt)
Alistair has an unreasonable belief in the existence of the fabled land of Atlantis, not only that it once existed, but currently exists, hidden by the advanced and supernatural powers of its inhabitants. He ascribes any unexplained fantastical event to be linked to Atlantis, whether potentially supernatural, or otherwise. He is well versed in all of the Atlantean literature of the time, as well as other linked theories, such as the Vril, Hollow Earth, etc.

"I'm not saying it was Atlanteans... but it was Atlanteans"

Vow- Prove existence of Atlantis (Minor, 1 pt)
Alistair has endured a great bit of ridicule among his fencing, academic and upperclass social circles due to his delusional beliefs in Atlantis, making him a pariah. He has therefore sworn to prove his beliefs to regain his reputation.

Edges:
Rich ($150,000/year)
Arcane Background: Magic
Power Points: 10
Starting Powers:3
-Detect/Conceal Arcana
-Darksight
-Smite

Cavalry Saber Str+d6+2
Scabbard and Belt
Colt 1911 .45 12/24/48, 2d6+1, 7 shots, AP 1 semi-auto
Pistol Holster
21 rounds of .45 ammo in 3 clips
.416 Rigby Side-by-Side 24/48/96 2d10 2 shots AP2
20 rounds of .416 ammo in bandolier
Pocket Knife

Black Fencing Doublet
Silk Ascot, dark blue with red stylized dragon pattern
"Jodphur" style Cavalry/Riding Pants
Riding Boots
Silver and Rose Gold Mexican Serpent Spurs
Oilcloth Duster Overcoat
"Bonesman" Signet Ring
Ronson De-Light Standard "Windbreak" Cigarette Lighter (Alligator skin covered)
Pack of Camel Cigarettes
Riding Goggles
Motorcycle Helmet
Leather Wallet with large sums of cash
Liquor Flask
Swiss-made Aviator's Watch with leather band
Small Folding Magnifying Glass
Journal (full of Atlantean lore)
Pencil

Opel Rocket Motorcycle (max speed 75mph w/o rockets, 132 mph with rocket assist)

Alistair is a scion of both the Cadwalader and Martindrake families, some of the founders of what later became the states of Connecticut and New York. They originally made their fortunes in the shipping trade (smuggling during the Revolution), but also made heavy (and wise) investments in the building of canals, railways, steamships, steel, oil, and armaments. They were often the silent partners to many of the innovations that built America. Alistair was sent to Yale being expected to study either business, engineering, or one of the emerging fields of science so that he could join the family business and see it successfully through the 20th century. Alistair dutifully began his academic career at Yale studying Mechanical Engineering, Geology, and Metallurgy, with the intent of eventually joining his father's segment of the family business, which was heavily involved in the maintenance of the Suez Canal. At Yale, Alistair participated in Fencing (being good enough to make the 1924 US Olympic Team), and was also inducted into the Skull and Bones Society.

While visiting his father in Egypt during the summer between his freshmen and sophomore years, Alistair had a complete and inexplicable change of heart regarding his field of study, and upon returning to Yale changed his major to Archeology, as well as informal study of various "pseudo-sciences". When his father discovered this midway through Alistair's senior year, he was livid, and immediately set out from Cairo to return to the US and set his son straight. However, his father's ship was lost at sea during a storm en route to New York while passing the Straights of Gibraltar.

Alistair completed his studies at Yale, but then went into self-imposed exile from his family, travelling widely in the Mediterranean, Near East, and various isles of the Atlantic. His family presumed he was searching for signs of his father's shipwreck, but what Alistair was actually up to, he has never revealed.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Thanks Nate. I updated his character page on the Weird Pulp site:

http://griffcrier.com/weirdpulp/2014/04 ... rtindrake/
Upweekis

Post by Upweekis »

Andrew Buchanan

Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d4, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6

Skills: Climbing d6+2, Fighting d12, Knowledge: Art History d4, Lockpicking d6+2, Notice d4, Stealth d10+2, Streetwise d4

Pace: 6, Parry: 9, Toughness: 5, Charisma: 0

Gear: Unarmed Strike d12 (Str), Dynamite d4-2 (2d6, 4/8/16), Knife/Dagger d4-2 (Str+d4, 3/6/12), Brass Knuckles d12 (Str+d4), Switchblade d12 (Str+d4), Camera (Regular), Carpet Bag, Clothing (Normal), Crowbar, Flashlight, Grappling Hook, Handcuffs / Manacles, Lighter, Linen Sack, Lockpicks, Notebook, Pencil, (10x) Rope (10'), Toolkit

Special Abilities:
•Overconfident: Believes he can do anything; Accepts all challenges
•Vow (Avenge Archie): Vow causes problems
•Wanted (Burglary): Sought by authorities for crime
•Acrobat: +2 on acrobatic maneuvers; +1 Parry if no encumbrance
•Thief: +2 Climb, Lockpick, and Stealth (urban areas only)

Personal Details:

Andy grew up in Hell’s Kitchen without the privileges that his cousin Archie enjoyed. Despite a family row that made their fathers bitter enemies, Andy and Archie were good pals, having reconnected when Archie moved to New Haven during his college years and began visiting New York City. While Archie liked slumming it with his wild, somewhat criminal cousin, Andy enjoyed visiting museums and seeing how the other half lived. Archie would bring his used textbooks to Andy who would study them on his own, becoming especially learned in art history. As he grew out of the small-time gangs that he ran in his youth, Andy found a way to combine this self-education in the fine arts with skills he learned on the street to make a more than modest income. He had recently grown a little too overconfident and had attempted a “venture” that went very badly, drawing the attention of law enforcement.

When the Buchanan family was contacted about Archie’s death, Andy was sent to claim the body. While he’s never heard of the Wardens before he seems to realize that Archie’s dead was at the hands of something abnormal and has vowed to avenge his favorite cousin.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Great backstory. Got a picture in mind for him?
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

NukeHavoc wrote:Great backstory. Got a picture in mind for him?
Upweekis

Post by Upweekis »

Andy Buchanan
Attachments
Criminal-Mugshots-095-08012013 (1).jpg
Criminal-Mugshots-095-08012013 (1).jpg (134.96 KiB) Viewed 6785 times