Weird Pulp set-up

"There are things that go bump in the night ... and we are the ones who bump back."
NukeHavoc

Re: Weird Pulp set-up

Post by NukeHavoc »

Here's a few:

* The Order of the Sword and Key
* The Cerulean Club (throwback to the Cerulean Sign in D&D)
* The League of the Trident
* The Athenian Society
* Knights of the Silver Flame (throwback to Dark City)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

So I'm thinking of a different character concept. The problem with the one I have above is that I thinking an angst ridden scientist just wouldn't be as fun to RP. So thinking about a different track: Carvus "Creepy Carcass" McGinnis: an Australian veteran of Gallipoli and other really bad places back in the Great War, he is now a Mercenary serving-for-hire in some of the worst hellholes around the world, from South American Juntas, to African colonial dictators, and Pacific Rim pocket imperialists. Along the way he's picked up a few tricks, and a healthy perspective on the Human Condition (and a bunch of one-liners). Somewhere there might be a hero lurking in him, but for now he'd rather throw a punch than get in touch with his "feelings," ya wanker!

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:How about something like The Wardens? Or something less on-the-nose like The Tourist Society or something more esoteric like the Vitruvian Society?
Re-reading through this thread, I like The Wardens. It's short and sweet and has a Mystery Men sort of ring to it.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I was looking over my character build and I'm still excited to play this. :)

We, uh, just need a DM now ....... :oops:
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:We, uh, just need a DM now ....... :oops:
So Jon officially got that job?

I'm happy to run Savage Worlds.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Yes, Jon posted on the FB. Yesterday was his first official day. He's staying in a hotel in Nashville this week and looking for a place. Which is all awesome for him, and less so for us.
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Congratulations to Jon for his supreme excellence and our insufferable loss. :D / :cry:
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Yes, as Bob posted, I'm now employed in Nashville. I still need to find a place and move, but work started this week. I got the final word on Thursday, due to the holidays, and spent the weekend driving down here. Stayed in a motel in VA with a king kong statue out front, too. :)
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Glad you got the job, Jon... but sorry you'll be away from us.

Jon Headroom to grace our screens for the foreseeable future

erilar

Post by erilar »

What Nate said, for sure!!!
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Upweekis

Post by Upweekis »

OK, I'm finally caught up on this thread. It all sounds good to me. Here's my character bio. He should fit in.

Archibald Buchanan was a promising graduate from an American Ivy League university but when the war to end all wars broke out in Europe he enlisted with the British Army to fight the Hun. He was a successful pilot, achieving the rank of “Ace”, until he was shot down deep over Germany. Despite a severely injured leg, he learned to survive in the shadows and after several months he managed to sneak his way back over the front line. On the way he saw some horrible things that scarred him and left him changed. After the war he had trouble integrating back into American society and he fled to the far corners of the earth, where he now works as a pilot and sometimes as an adventurer for hire.
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Father Cameron Dovenney (Robin Hood by way of Blues Brothers) never attended proper seminary school, but acquired his faith at his father's side. A nomadic priest without a house of worship or congregation, the senior Dovenney led his wife and son throughout the most destitute parts of North and South America, providing "spiritual wealth and enlightenment" to the poor and uncivilized. As a youth, Cameron continued his father's work traveling between Allied fortifications during the final two years of the Great War (room for crossing paths with other PCs) putting himself at great personal risk and serving as both spiritual leader and -it was whispered- a uniquely capable combat medic, having received no formal training. In the wake of WWI Father Cameron never returned home. Recognized by the Holy See for exceptional service both spiritual and secular, he found himself mentored by prominent religious figures and groomed for more esoteric international missionary work.

Often without guidance and increasingly without any communication from his superiors, Father Cameron was deposited in situations that rapidly degenerated from spreading god's word to aiding oppressed villages and settlements in largely underdeveloped countries. The more abandoned he felt, the greater his conviction grew that his choices were all for the greater good, or more poignantly for the good of the people he felt he was sent to protect. His spiritual repertoire grew to include violent protest and armed rebellion. His practices bent toward cultural preservation over forced westernization. But it wasn't until rumor of his healing abilities arose again that the Pope's attention turned his way.

Specifically, a coastal settlement in Belize had named a stillborn child 'Dovenny'. Six months after Father Cameron's departure, the child was reported alive and healthy. Cameron's defrocking was shocking in its immediacy and in its arrangement by the Pope himself. But Cameron's assignments continued to be delivered to him...and he proceeded to respond, finding all future missionary work, travel, supplies, all of it funded upon request. Faith and fury led him to believe that his work protecting the weak was divine intervention from a higher power (Delusional).

--no real names of historical figures for temporal fluidity, just so were all functioning in the same era. I can clean house and add specifics as we go.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

So, in reviewing this (and other) threads, I'm slightly confused about what characters we have in the SW weird pulp campaign. Do you think we could get a summary post of characters listing in general their archetype and role in the party? I'm trying to build a guy and would like to compliment the group as much as possible.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Bob - Heroic-Circus-Kid Investigator/martial artist
Jim - WWI-Shellshocked-Pilot, crack shot
Lance - Too-Curious-For-His-Own-Good Magician, Lore Seeker
Damon - soldier/merc?
Tom - On-A-Mission-From-God Priestly Healer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

So we are missing the following Pulp Archtypes:

Wealthy Leader Type
Weird Science Tech Type
Grease-monkey, Wiz-Bang Mechanic Type
World-Traveller, Safari/Mountain-Climber/Sportsman Type
Suave-World-Travelled, Hard-Drinkin' Gambler Type
Mysterious Guy with an actual Monkey

:)