Episode 9: The Terror in the Woods

"There are things that go bump in the night ... and we are the ones who bump back."
NukeHavoc

Episode 9: The Terror in the Woods

Post by NukeHavoc »

"So what you're telling me is that a bunch of sex-crazed, drug addicted crazies broke into the Metropolitan Museum of Art in order to steal Egyptian fertility relics to impress Catherine Livingstone, a young woman who is one of the top socialites in the city and whom they may or may not have kidnapped to serve as their goddess?" Det. Jason Carl Carlson asked in disbelief.

"Yes," Rikard responded.

Experience

* Rikard: 2 xp
* McGinnis: 2 xp
* Andrew Buchanan: 2 xp
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Re: Episode 9: The Terror in the Woods

Post by EvilGenius »

If it's any consolation to Carl Carlson, the truth was much worse ...... :roll:
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

So, so, much worse.
Attachments
the-thing-in-the-woods.jpg
the-thing-in-the-woods.jpg (180.42 KiB) Viewed 6945 times
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

And yes, it does have eyes. Lots of eyes... :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

We Need. More. Fire!!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I think we need to telegraph back to Wardens HQ for reinforcements. And they need to bring the flamberge and the crocodile necklace ....
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

So for those of you wonder what the frak happened...

Oscar Slaughter -- a millionaire stock trader and real estate broker who rose to prominence after the stock market crash -- was the leader of a cult known as the Grand Benevolence, which shrouded covert worship of Shub-Niggurat (aka the Black Goat of the Woods) in the trappings of Egyptian mysticism. He and his followers kidnapped a number of teenage children belonging to the nouveau rich and took them to his private Catskills resort, Pleasant Grove, in Queenston, NY.

There he and his cult leaders sacrificed the children to their dark goddess, igniting a massive funeral pyre in hopes of getting ever greater boons.

Something went horribly wrong. Or perhaps, horribly right. The teenagers were killed as part of the sacrifice but then something horrible rose from the lake. With three great hoover legs and a thrashing mass of tentacles feeding far too many mouths, the creature killed the cultists and demolished a good portion of the resort.

The sole survivor was Slaughter himself, who was left naked and babbling on the steaming shore of the now-diminished lake.

It was all over by the time the Wardens arrived ... but the terror remained. The creature was storming through the woods, and returned as it sensed renewed activity in Pleasant Grove. The Wardens tried to kill it with a dynamite laden car that detonated against its bulk. The beast shrugged off the attack.

Then they decided to use Slaughter as bait, tricking him into thinking their remaining dynamite was some sort of rod of power. He cackled gleefully as he tried to command the Terror in the Woods ... but the creature simply consumed him whole. The dynamite detonated, staggering -- but not killing -- the beast.

The Wardens, sensing their options were running out, lured the creature to the utility building where they attempted to kill it by getting the creature to eat an electrical generator. Rikard tossed a cultist's corpse on to the generator, hoping the beast would snag it.

It did, pulling on the generator and sending up arcs of electricity that detonated the nearby gas tank. The creature roared in pain and anger. It blindly hurled the generator toward the Wardens, who at this point were flying toward the woods.

That's where we left it. The lake portal the creature came through has closed. The Wardens are running from the monster. The town of Queenston slumbers, unaware of the Terror that lurks near by...
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I should note that the party was also able to retrieve what Slaughter, in his mad jibberings, referred to as the Rod of Nastorus. The shaft of the rod, which is topped with a stylized goat's head, is broken, but not shattered. It looks as thought the beast may have stepped on it shortly after having been summoned...
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

We should also note that we need more fire. Like, a LOT more fire. Maybe ALL the fire .....
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Full episode notes are now online:

http://griffcrier.com/weirdpulp/2014/06 ... the-woods/

I couldn't remember who did what in the battles with the Terror in the Woods, so I improvised. Feel free to correct me. :)

The gist is ... you tried to kill it with a car laden with dynamite, and that didn't work. You fed it a cultist carrying dynamite, and that didn't work. You tricked it into attacking an electrical generator, and while that (and the resulting fireball from the ignited gasoline) staggered the beast, it did not stop it.