Interlude: Istanbul not Constantinople

"There are things that go bump in the night ... and we are the ones who bump back."
NukeHavoc

Interlude: Istanbul not Constantinople

Post by NukeHavoc »

The Wardens are on a mission of revenge. Assassins sent by The Enlightenment -- a secret society dedicated to uncovering the forgotten history of the Lost Continent of Mu -- slew their mentor, the Reverend Sir Arthur Boundless. They defeated the attackers and learned their mission was to teach Rikard Greystone a lesson about the strength of the Enlightenment ... and the inevitability of him joining their cause.

Investigations mundane and arcane revealed the Enlightenment mastermind behind the assassination of Boundless -- and of Greystone's own parents -- was Hans Glauser, aka "The Teacher".

Over a century later, in 1826, the Enlightenment had sent him to exterminate a rebellious cell of the Janissary, the one-time elite guards of the Sultan. At the time Sultan Mahmud II had been attempting to modernize his military. Realizing that the Janissary had become corrupt, he ordered the organization disbanded.

Some resisted and at least one group did so using ancient arcane secrets best forgotten by humanity. Enter the Hans Glauser, agent of the Enlightenment, who hunted the Janissary to their lair in Snake Castle. Together with a mixed force of Enlightenment and Turkish troops he purged the corruption.

The story of Snake Castle did not end there. The grateful Sultan granted the Enlightenment use of the stone fort. Within its ancient stone halls Glauser raised up The Reptilian Order, a league of assassins whom he sent out into the world to teach "lessons" on the harshness of life ... and the power of knowledge ... to potential recruits.

Now the Wardens are heading to Snake Castle to teach Glauser a lesson of their own. They also hope to discover more about the mysterious Enlightenment and the rest of its seemingly malevolent agents: The Librarian, The Oracle, and The Warrior.

You are now in Istanbul, having arrived there from Paris aboard the Simplon Orient Express. Your knowledge of Snake Castle is limited to legends and glimpses of arcane sight. You have your standard adventuring supplies, but no specialized gear and no overland transportation. The Wardens have a contact in the city: Mert Kahraman, Turkish liaison to the British consulate in Istanbul.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange