Episode 13.5 - Aftermath

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Episode 13.5 - Aftermath

Post by EvilGenius »

The write up the momentous discoveries from last night's adventure will be in the other thread but I'll post treasure/knowledge gained here.
Last edited by EvilGenius on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Re: Episode XIII.5 - Aftermath

Post by EvilGenius »

After the battle with the Bone Nagas, the PCs look around the remains of Quirinseyru's lair. You all experience a general sense of unease that has nothing to do with the defeated nagas and the small snakes that slither away from you as you explore the caves. This place feels familiar but unpleasant and somewhat unwelcoming.

In one smaller cave toward the rear you find piles of bones and half eaten flesh. A cursory examination reveals that there are many beasts here, but also giants and humanoid or demi-human skeletons. You are fairly certain that bone nagas do not need to eat though, so it would appear that something else lived here, too.

As you are about to turn away from the charnel pit, something shiny catches your eye, back in the pile. Clearing bones out of the way, you make your way to the back of the pile where you find some dwarven bones in a set of filthy clothes. Most of the flesh has been stripped away from the bones, though some brittle red hair remains attached to a patch of remaining scalp. Around the neck of this skeleton is a golden holy symbol of Moradin, faintly shining with a golden light. Brigga, you feel a connection to this holy symbol, and a sense of loss. It would seem that you have found Brigga's remains.

In another cave you find a small cache of treasure. What was Quirinseyru's and what has been added by the nagas, or something else, over time is impossible to tell. The treasure is stored in older, but sturdy chests. You find:

Chest 1:
5,000 gp
7,500 sp

Chest 2:
A quarterstaff made of walnut. Each end is capped with bronze and there is a bronze medallion affixed to the middle of the staff depicting an open hand. When you pick it up, the staff quivers once, then is still.

A hand crossbow, elven make. The bow is made of ash, and the metalwork of the winch and bows is deceivingly delicate, as you notice the metal is actually mithril, and therefore quite strong. The bow is decorated beautifully, with small silver whorls evoking the feeling of a strong wind.

Chest 3:
There is a somewhat dented war horn, rent in a few places from obvious weapon blows. The curved horn is made of bleached bone, plated with silver, tarnished with age. All along the body of the horn there are small carvings of soldiers of all different races, all on foot, engaged in battle with each other.
As you pick up the strange horn, everyone nearby hears a series of distant metal crashes accompanied by the dull roar of thousands of combatants charging into battle! Bannock, you feel a connection with this horn.

There is a necklace of gleaming, fine silver links. In the front of the necklace there are several good sized emeralds, each engraved with different pictures. There is a swinging blade with flames, there is the elven symbol for life surrounded by a circle, and a circle with several small depictions of weapons in it; a hammer, a blade and a bow. Each of the small weapons have lines etched next to them that seem to indicate that they are glowing, maybe? Quarion, you feel a connection to this necklace.

There is a torc of smooth, woven branches from a holly bush. Each end is capped with polished agate. The torc is very flexible but easily returns to its original shape if stretched or twisted. Onarra, you feel a connection to this torc.

Chest 4:
9 blue tourmalines worth 100 gp each
An ancient pewter tankard, inlaid with copper (50gp)
An old limestone bowl, inlaid with oak wood (40gp)
An ornate alabaster bowl, inlaid with mahogany wood (225gp)
A strange crystal jewelry box, inlaid with mythril (600gp)
An ugly pewter ring, set with a chrysophase (125gp)
A rough fur cape with alabaster clasps (65gp)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

One other thing that I forgot to mention is that you see several large bones are missing from Quirinseyru's skeleton. You can see that Balrakas's two handed sword made of bone was made from Quirinseyru's skeleton. There appear to be a few more bones missing, too.

Everyone should level up to 10 now. I will be sending people some emails about specific developments for their characters. :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Tentatively interested in the quarter staff once we identify it.
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Onarra will examine the torc as well as the hand crossbow (seeing as how she's an 'expert').
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Well, it looks like we have 6 magic items in this haul. We have enough characters in the party that we can take a short rest and each identify one item. This isn't attuning to it, just identifying, so that should make it pretty easy to get the basics of what each one does.

Bannock will sit with the war horn and see what he can learn of it.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

You all retreat to the base camp outside of Quirinseyru's stronghold to rest, recuperate and digest the momentous revelations. Spending time with the magical items reveals these properties:

Zuoken’s Staff
+1 Quarterstaff (Unique/Rare, Religious: Zuoken, requires attunement)
This is a quarterstaff made of walnut. Each end is capped with bronze and there is a bronze medallion affixed to the middle of the staff depicting an open hand. When you pick it up, the staff quivers once, then is still.

You have a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.
Also, if you have Ki points, you can channel them into the staff for the following effect: Fist of Unbroken Air (as per the Disciple of the Four Elements path ability).
Unlike the ability in the PHB, Fist of Unbroken Air costs 4 Ki points initially, though increasing the effect still only costs 1 Ki point per 1d10 damage.

Aerdrie’s Kiss
Hand Crossbow (Unique/Rare, Religious: Aerdrie Faenya, requires attunement)
This is a hand crossbow, elven make. The bow is made of ash, and the metalwork of the winch and bows is deceivingly delicate, as you notice the metal is actually mithril, and therefore quite strong. The bow is decorated beautifully, with small silver whorls evoking the feeling of a strong wind.
This weapon is considered magical for purposes of overcoming damage resistances or immunities.
In addition, Aerdrie’s Kiss has 3 charges. As an action, the user can spend charges to cast the following spells from the bow:
Shocking Grasp, as per PHB except with a range of 30’, 2 charges
Color Spray, 1 charge
The hand crossbow regains 1d2 charges every day at noon, or all charges immediately if outside during a lightning storm.

Silvered Horn of Acheron
(Unique/Very Rare, Requires Attunement, War Leader)
There is a somewhat dented war horn, rent in a few places from obvious weapon blows. The curved horn is made of bleached bone, plated with silver, tarnished with age. All along the body of the horn there are small carvings of soldiers of all different races, all on foot, engaged in battle with each other.
As you pick up the strange horn, everyone nearby hears a series of distant metal crashes accompanied by the dull roar of thousands of combatants charging into battle!

Bannock, you feel a connection with this horn.

You can use an action to blow this horn. In response, warrior spirits from the plane of Acheron appear within 60 feet of you. These spirits are members of the Crashing Legion, and use the Veteran statistics from the Monster Manual.
The Legionnaires can be human, elven, dwarven, half-elven, dragonborn, tiefling, goblin or hobgoblin, though they do not receive any racial special abilities since they are summoned spirits, not truly flesh and blood. All members of the Legion are Lawful Neutral. The Legionnaires speak and understand Common and follow orders from whomever sounded the Horn. If not given instruction, the Legionnaires will defend themselves in an organized manner. If ordered to attack, they will also proceed in an organized manner unless specifically ordered to the contrary.
The Legionnaires return to Acheron after 1 hour or when they drop to 0 hit points. Once you use the horn, it can't be used again until 7 days have passed.

Chain of Duty and Judgement
Necklace of Prayer Beads (Unique/Rare, Requires Attunement by a cleric or paladin)
There is a necklace of heavy, gleaming, silver links. In the front of the necklace there are several good sized emeralds, each engraved with different pictures. There is a swinging blade with flames, there is the elven symbol for life surrounded by a circle, and a circle with several small depictions of weapons in it; a hammer, a blade and a bow. Each of the small weapons have lines etched next to them that seem to indicate that they are glowing, maybe?

Quarion, you feel a connection to this necklace.

Each bead contains a spell that you can cast from it as a bonus action (using your spell DC if a save is necessary). Once a magic bead’s spell is cast, that bead cannot be used again until the next dawn.
Searing Smite (at 2nd level Paladin spell)
Crusader’s Mantle (3rd level Paladin spell)
Aura of Life (4th level Paladin spell)

Boccob’s Index
(Very Rare, requires attunement by a spellcaster)
This is a slim spell book. It has a deep purple colored cover with a thick black binding on the spine, and golden corner guards. In the middle of the front cover is a glowing gold rune that mysteriously changes shape while you watch it.
When you open the book you discover it has only two pages, both are moderately thick vellum and both are empty. However, as everyone examines it, Brigga and Jareth both feel a sharp pain in their minds and a strange draining sensation. You look on in amazement as the vellum pages begin to fill with faintly glowing writing. Your spell casters look closer and the pages have been filled as though they were spell scrolls! One page is the wizard spell, False Life, the other page is a druid spell, Entangle. Looking at the front cover again reveals that the changing rune has now become the symbol of Boccob. After a moment of observation, it does not appear that the rune is changing now.

Both Brigga and Jareth know that they have expended a first level spell slot, as though they had cast a first level spell. Brigga, you realize with a start that you don't know the False Life spell ....
This spell book creates spell scrolls on its two interior pages. In order to create the spell scroll, you expend a spell slot of the appropriate level for that spell. You can expend a spell slot to create a spell that you know, even if it is not prepared. Expended spell slots can be recovered normally without affecting the spell scrolls in Boccob’s Index.

Once a spell has been cast from the Index, the relevant page clears and can be used again.

Secret: You can also expend spell slots to fill the Index with spells that you do not know. The DM will tell you what spell fills the book in this case.

Shifter’s Torc
(Unique/Very Rare, Requires attunement by a druid)
There is a torc of smooth, woven branches from a holly bush. Each end is capped with polished agate. The torc is very flexible but easily returns to its original shape if stretched or twisted.

Onarra, you feel a connection to this torc.
When you use your wildshape ability, you gain the Fey creature type.
Additionally, while wildshaped, you can cast Cantrips, First and Second level spells normally (material components may still be required, but verbal and somatic components can be accomplished by whatever beast form you are in).

Manual of Bodily Health
Tome of Clear Thought
Last edited by EvilGenius on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I'll double down on the staff now.

"Hrm, this staff feels nice. Reminds me of my favorite hoe back on the farm."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:I'll double down on the staff now.

Since you're the only Monk in the party, I'm thinking that's an uncontested pic (you know, since Haggerty and Jess aren't in the group now).
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

EvilGenius wrote:
Hardcorhobbs wrote:I'll double down on the staff now.

Since you're the only Monk in the party, I'm thinking that's an uncontested pic (you know, since Haggerty and Jess aren't in the group now).
Which means you won't need to spend any swaggies on the staff. ;)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock is interested in the War Horn.

If nobody else is particularly interested, he could use the Manual of Bodily Health, as well.
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Onarra is interested in the torc.
If no one else is interested, the hand xbow is a second pick.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jareth’s first pick is the torq.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Brigga is interested in the Tome of Clear Thought.

She also picks up her fallen holy symbol glancing -- maybe glaring? -- at Bannock as she does so. Then her brow furrows, and she's lost in contemplation.

From the other thread Bannock asked:
First, there is a teleport circle in the middle of this ruined tower. "Our magic users: Brigga, Quarion, Mordai, Jareth (and maybe your faithful genie, Alizar): Do any of you, separately or together, know how we can dispel, disrupt, or otherwise destroy this circle? I fear our foes could use it to come back before we are either ready or out of here."
Brigga attempts to do so, getting a 21 on her Arcana check.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

There aren’t clear rules about destroying a permanent teleport circle. Let’s say you can pretty easily break up the flagstone that the circle is on, thus destroying it.