Episode 14: Sixteen Tons

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Episode 14: Sixteen Tons

Post by EvilGenius »

It is the morning after your momentous discoveries about your pasts and the ultimate fate of Quirinseyru. All of you have had rests plagued with recovered memories, or visions of distant places. Despite that, all of you did manage to get enough rest to recover from yesterday’s battles.

The knowledge you have gained explains much about the end of your former lives, but there are still many unanswered questions, which seem more pressing now, and more elusive. You know that the Master was Erk’s patron, granting him arcane power and secrets, but beyond that, you still have no idea who or what the Master is, nor what his ultimate goals are.

You know that Erk harvested or stole a piece of your souls for some ritual, something related to the attempt to rescue Gwendolyn from the Efreeti called the FireLord, and that you ultimately failed to recover her from the City of Brass but you don’t know what Erk’s ritual was supposed to accomplish, or why your rescue failed.

And you know that some magical catastrophe happened at Erk’s Tower, though you don’t know where the Tower is or what happened to it, or even if you knew such things in your former lives.

And now that you know that several of you woke here when you animated your clones, you also know that several of you did not wake here. Quarion, Bannock, Naziah and Onarra all awoke elsewhere. You’ve discovered Onarra’s Stone Table in her former home in the Weeping Boughs, but what about Quarion, Bannock and Naziah? Where did they awaken?

And speaking of awakening, the half-orc clone body that is still here, named Thulik, according to Quirinseyru’s Journals, who is he? Why do only some of you recognize him? And if he survived the final battle that you did not, whose side was he on, ultimately? And where is he now?

You also know that the tieflings in Farweald are hiding something for Quirinseyru, something that you didn’t know even in your former lives. But how will the tieflings respond to the news that not only is Quirinseyru dead, but it was you yourselves who murdered him, years ago?

All of these questions, and more, churn in your minds as you mechanically go about your morning routines. The day is bright enough, the weather chilly this high up in the mountains, but fair. But you cannot see it. Your moods are bleak.
Last edited by EvilGenius on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Re: Episode XIV: Sixteen Tons

Post by EvilGenius »

After a quick breakfast, you are deciding on your next course of action when movement catches your eye. A large, bulbous head slowly rises above the canyon wall across from you. You scramble for your weapons and the clatter of movement catches the giant’s large eyes, which widen in surprise as he sees you. The rest of him quickly comes into view as he scrambles up the other side of the cliff wall until he is standing near the top, towering above you. Rising up beside him is a wyvern wearing an iron collar with a long iron chain being held by the giant, as though the foul beast were a common pet.

“Hey! You aren’t supposed to be here, tiny things! No one is supposed to be here without a dragonman with them” the voice booms down into the canyon. The giant calls back over his shoulder, “Grilog! There are tiny people here and they don’t have a dragonman with them!”
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Two giants and their pet wyverns demanded to know what the PCs were doing there without a 'dragonman'. Quarion very effectively convinced the giants that their 'dragonman' had just gone into the cavern, and needed the giants help with something. The giants responded that they were supposed to come and get the dragonman and take him back to their camp, to meet with their dragonman. At Jareth's urging, Quarion was able to convince the giants to go into the cavern. Jareth quickly transformed into an earth elemental and entered the rock above the cavern and was able to collapse the tunnel behind the giants.

The PCs then sent most of their party back toward Farweald while a few of them went to scout the giants camp. After about a half days travel, the PCs encountered a small pack of bullettes which caused only a brief delay as the PCs demolished the monstrosities. Bannock quickly picked up the giant's trail again and the PCs pressed on. Toward the end of the day they could see a tall plateau ahead of them, and the giants tracks were heading right toward it.

Kage volunteered to scout ahead. Slipping from shadow to shadow, the halfling made his way up the side of the hill, finally arriving at the top, emerging from the shadows of a tall tree, directly below two perched wyverns. Kage froze, then started to utter a spell. The wyverns immediately heard Kage, but the spell completed, blanketing the area in silence, and then Kage slipped away into the shadows again before the wyverns could react.

Kage made his way back to the PCs and reported that there were several wyverns and a ruined tower at the top of the hill. Seeing no way other way to approach, the PCs decided on the direct approach. As they ascended the hill they saw four wyverns flying around the top of the hill, as if searching for something.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Deciding that the stealth approach wasn't really an option, the PCs strode directly up the mountain path to the edge of the plateau. Four wyverns were flying above them but weren't taking any specific action against the PCs. In the middle of the plateau was a small hill upon which stood a ruined tower. Behind the hill were some cages that held various captives.

Kage quickly slipped forward to see what was inside of the ruined tower but scuttled back at the sight of several giants within. The giants caught sight of Kage, though, and three of them lumbered out of the tower. Seeing the rest of the PCs, the giants shouted commands to the wyverns, who dove to attack. As Jareth, Quarion and Kage defended themselves against the flying beasts, a human skull wreathed in green flames floated out of the tower and spit a pea sized ball of flame toward the PCs, which immediately exploded into a hellish fireball!

In response, Bannock used the newly recovered Silvered Horn to summon 7 members of the Crashing Legion, warrior spirits bound to an eternity of strife on the plane of Acheron. At Bannock's command, the grizzled warrior spirits split off in pairs and engaged the wyverns.

As the chaos of battle was beginning in earnest, another figure strode from the shadows of the ruined tower. In an instant, the PCs recognized their new foe as none other than their missing companion, Balisar!! The blue dragonborn nodded a greeting to Bannock. "It's good to see you again, Bannock. I see you've found your way back to the others. I don't know how much all of you remember, but I remember ALL!"

With that, Balisar thrust his hand into the air and a lightning bolt exploded from the fragment of living water he held, lancing through members of the Crashing Legion, straight into Jareth!

The battle that followed was brutal, with the Flameskull levitating Bannock for a giant to smack away with his club and the other giants to hurl boulders at. Balisar and the Flameskull unleashed more spells on the group before Kage was able to silence the area again. The Legionnaires kept hacking at the wyverns. But in the end, the PCs rallied, killing the wyverns, shattring the flameskull and putting down the giants. Sensing that things were turning against him, Balisar strode back into the ruined tower and disappeared.
Last edited by EvilGenius on Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

The PCs do a quick scout of the area after defeating the giants, wyverns and flameskull and driving off Balisar.

You find several prisoners, both alive and dead, in cages around the back of the hill. You immediately free them and learn the following:
1) There are 3 survivors of a previous Obsidian Bay search party. These are the people that Aldin and B'Narl are looking for.
2) There are 2 survivors and 2 deceased members of an adventuring party that Mordai's family contact, Master Maesek, hired in Farweald to seek out the rumors of a stronghold of new dwarves.
3) All of the prisoners had been defeated in battle and captured several days northwest of here.
4) None of the prisoners had actually found the rumored dwarven stronghold.
5) The blue dragonborn and the flameskull have been here for as long as the prisoners have (about a month?)
6) The blue dragonborn and flameskull argued a lot
7) There were more survivors of both groups and some other captives also, from a raided caravan. But the giants have been eating the prisoners every few days.
8) Several giants went out on hunting about a week ago but never returned (the PCs first giant fight).

The PCs also find a permanent teleportation circle in the ruined tower.
The PCs find one of the now-familiar magical treasure chests. It is firmly locked and apparently anchored to the stone floor of the ruined tower?
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

So, lots to do.

Refresh my memory: before we tracked back the giants, we sent the rest of our erstwhile party back to town, right?

So, we should send the remaining survivors we rescued here back to town as well, once we talk to them to see if we can learn any more.

Shortly I'll post some more about what Bannock thinks of all this, what questions he has for the survivors, and what he wants to do at this location.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote:So, lots to do.

Refresh my memory: before we tracked back the giants, we sent the rest of our erstwhile party back to town, right?

So, we should send the remaining survivors we rescued here back to town as well, once we talk to them to see if we can learn any more.

Shortly I'll post some more about what Bannock thinks of all this, what questions he has for the survivors, and what he wants to do at this location.

Ahh, right. Most of the party was sent elsewhere. Well, for simplicity's sake, lets retcon that and say that the main group wasn't sent back to town, they just lagged behind the active PCs for safety's sake.

That way everyone can participate in the online part. :)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock has been healed, thank you much Quarion. As the Party catches its breath after the battle, Bannock needs some time to recover after being knocked out of the park by the Giants.

He will heal Cur to full, and task his companion with patrolling the perimeter of the hill around the ruined tower in which the party is recovering.

Once all the survivors are freed and cared for (heal checks and cantrips), and the rest of the party and the others they are travelling with arrive, he will gather the party for some quick conversation away from all the others.

Bannock seems agitated as he says: "Team, I am still shock from that fight, and I believe I am developing a trepidation towards wyverns and a hatred towards giants. More importantly, I didn't think I could be upset more than I was after the revelations in Q's tower and the dreams that followed. However, I am greatly feared, and don't might admitting so, that our companions are turning against us. Having to battle Balisar unsettled me to my core. Also, it has me wondering if the reason we haven't seen Nasiah or Erk in so long is that they are back in league with the Master as well. "

"I am afraid that we must speed up or quest to overcome this foe before more of us fall under his sway again. What of this Thulik, as well. So many questions. Even as we get answers, there are more questions, and I am not sure the answers bode well for us."

"I re-affirm my pledge to you all: I will give my all to see this through and put our pasts finally behind us. I implore you all to do the same, or at the very least be honest with the rest of us and let us know that you can't continue. Allow us the chance to send you away from this Master before you are against us as well."

After the party discusses some things, Bannock will also present his thoughts for what to do right now.

Bannock states: "We need to rest and recover, and plan our next move. Here is what I think we should do now. Let me know what you think."

First, there is a teleport circle in the middle of this ruined tower. "Our magic users: Brigga, Quarion, Mordai, Jareth (and maybe your faithful genie, Alizar): Do any of you, separately or together, know how we can dispel, disrupt, or otherwise destroy this circle? I fear our foes could use it to come back before we are either ready or out of here."

Second, there is another of those magical chests that we know have teleported items before, where exactly we know not. "Onarra, would you be able to check that for traps, and possibly pick that open, to give us possibly more info and/or resources? And, Brigga, and anyone else who might know anything about engineering or stonework, the chest seems to be affixed in place. Do you have any idea how we may remove that?"

Third, there are survivors from multiple parties that might have some info and need to be debriefed. "Brigga, would you shepherd Aldin and B'Narl to the remaining members of their party and see if you can learn anything about the surrounding geography, where they have ruled out that the dwarven stronghold is not, or any other info that might help us find it?"
"Mordai, would you do the same with the remnants of Master Maesek's party. Do they know anything about the areas they've traversed in this area that might help us, either from things they have learned or at least areas/things they have ruled out."
"All of us should endeavor to speak to these good folks before we part ways with them, and see if we can glean anything from them about Balisar, the flameskull, and the Master. They might deem info trivial, or indeed unimportant, but if we talk to them about what we are confronting (without all the gory details, of course), we may learn more to help us out."

Bannock would also like to spend some time beginning his read of The Manual of Bodily Health tome that was recovered (provided no one else in the party objects), as he is definitely feeling the need to be heartier to protect his friends and companions in the coming trials.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Bump. :)
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Onarra is tired and irritable, but agrees to examine and, if able, open the chest. (I'll make rolls in Roll20 when I get home).

To the group: Since discovering the fate of her sister Miette in the Weeping Boughs and recovering some of her/our memories, Onarra has been fervently studying and communing with nature. It brings her a kind of peace she doesn't feel anywhere else. She wanders off on her own more than usual and, though normally terse, she has become even more withdrawn. She has taken two druid levels since then (R8/D2)

...heh...droids.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock will cast Protection from Poison on Onarra before she examines the chest, just in case.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ok, so after the battle with the Giants, Bannock makes some suggestions then heads back to get the rest of the party and bring them in to the battle site. In the hour that it takes for the rest of the party to catch up, night falls. As the whole group comes back to the campsite, Brigga starts to work breaking up the flagstone upon which the permanent teleportation circle has been imprinted. Onnara begins to look over the magical chest.

Some of you notice illumination coming from underneath one of the fallen giants in the front of the tower. After a moment, a human sized skull wreathed in green flames scoots out from underneath the giant carcass. The skull levitates to shoulder height and spins around, taking in the presence of the entire party, before fixing on Mordai.

"MORDAI OF K'SOGRAH!!!! FALSE FRIEND!!! FOOL AND APOSTATE!!!" Then the skull screams terribly and streaks toward the tiefling, mouth open, screaming the whole way! Catching the tiefling by surprise, the skull zooms right in and starts ineffectually biting Mordai, like some kind of horrifying pest.

In between bites and swats, the skull spits out condemnations. "I was your most loyal friend! Your oldest retainer! And what did loyalty to you or the House of K'Sograh earn me?!?!? You ABANDONED ME TO THIS!!!"

The skull is obviously getting more and more agitated. Its flames begin to burn brighter and more erratically.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock will sigh heavily and turn to the group:

"Can anyone do anything about this pest? Quarion, is this the sort of undeath you can dispose of for us? Does anyone know how to put this thing down for good?"
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

EvilGenius wrote:"MORDAI OF K'SOGRAH!!!! FALSE FRIEND!!! FOOL AND APOSTATE!!!" Then the skull screams terribly and streaks toward the tiefling, mouth open, screaming the whole way! Catching the tiefling by surprise, the skull zooms right in and starts ineffectually biting Mordai, like some kind of horrifying pest.

In between bites and swats, the skull spits out condemnations. "I was your most loyal friend! Your oldest retainer! And what did loyalty to you or the House of K'Sograh earn me?!?!? You ABANDONED ME TO THIS!!!"

The skull is obviously getting more and more agitated. Its flames begin to burn brighter and more erratically.
Onarra doesn't deviate from examining the chest.
"Really not helping"
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote:Bannock will sigh heavily and turn to the group:

"Can anyone do anything about this pest? Quarion, is this the sort of undeath you can dispose of for us? Does anyone know how to put this thing down for good?"
Since Jim doesn't regularly get on the Crier during the week, I'll answer this. He can Turn the FlameSkull but its CR is too high for Quarion to destroy it outright. So to make things a bit easier, we'll say that Quarion successfully turns the Flameskull, who flies off into the night, screaming in impotent rage. :)

As the Flameskull is exiting, Onarra excitedly declares, 'I think I got it', and the lid of the magical chest opens. Those nearby gather round and see there is a pile of gold in the bottom of the chest along with a beautiful rapier with a golden swept basket hilt. There is a starburst at the bottom of the blade.

Onarra gasps in recognition at the weapon. "This... this is my sister's blade!"

All together there is 4500 gp and the rapier.

Mordai looks at everyone sheepishly. "Uh, I think maybe that thing knew me in our former lives? My family retainer in town said that I used to have a henchman, Amaldi, Amockies, something like that? I don't really remember him ...."