Episode 17: Aftermath & Planning

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Episode 17: Aftermath & Planning

Post by EvilGenius »

(Moved from the the other thread)
From Jon:
When the party stops for the evening, as they are all having a meal together, Bannock will address the party:

"So, folks. What do we do now?

We've got a great deal of things to consider, that all impact our futures and the future of Farweald and its residents. We are trying to uncover the details of what exactly happened to us in the past. We are trying to find and defeat this Master - who it seems is an evil dragon - no small feat indeed. Which may involve closing (or opening) various protals. And, we are trying to ensure that evil forces are routed out of Farweald.

After discussing what the Oracle had in his journals, (and, mind you, I'm not convinced the Oracle is an outright enemy of ours, at least not completely, yet) we know some things, and have questions about many other things.

It seems there was a secret location under Ye Old Gaming House in Farweald. I wonder if it is still there, and if it connects to any other underground areas in or out of Farweald?
The potter seems to be an alchemist - I wonder if good or evil? Has anyone interacted with the potter?
The half-elven bowyers worship a god I'm not familiar with. But, most don't proclaim gods in Farweald. Perhaps allies? Has anyone interacted with them?
I know we've shopped at Burt's Mundanities - and the Oracle indicates he may be cursed. Anyone able to remove curses? Perhaps he would know something important if we could remove his curse?
We seem to be missing important info about Gwendolyn, and now we learn she has a secret sister - perhaps there is much more investigation to be done here? Who is the mother? Is is the same? An infernal creature? How does our former companion Thulik connect to Gwendolyn? Her sister? Haupt?
Rebel's Redoubt certainly seems a trap, but also a source for someone (courtesy of the info provided by the twins). Have we cleared it? Will that portal return?
The Oracle referes to GateClones and SoulPortals - very troubling.
FakeLights seems obviously to be Shining Justice, who we got a note from at Lucky Break - perhaps we should end that loose thread once and for all?
We have discovered many locations around Farweald, and we seem connected to many of them. Where is Splish-Splash? WolfDen? Have we found these, or are they yet to be found?

Overall, once back at Farweald, we should probably figure out who our allies are, and move towards routing out the evil hidden there. THe sooner things are out in the open the better, I think.
We had been considering exploring the Singing Pools. We had also discussed finding the lost elven village where a bowl belonging to Quarion. We have Portals to find and open/close.
Last we heard, there is a strange sickness pervading Farweald - we should probably stop that if we have the ability to do so.
Also, I forget the culmination of the fires/murders in town, and resolving that is something we should at least see is done, even if not by us.

This is a great deal. It all weighs heavy on me, and I am not sure how to proceed. What do you all think we should do?"
Last edited by EvilGenius on Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Re: Episode XVII: Aftermath & Planning

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote:Also, I forget the culmination of the fires/murders in town, and resolving that is something we should at least see is done, even if not by us.
The PCs discovered in the Shining Justice journals that SJ murdered Hilma and Martin, the town herbalists, then burned the house down to cover their crimes. And also because Elaidha is a pyro who worships a god of fire, murder and poison. And Dapple kills people who don't like his music. And Owan is a berserker/murderer. And Pembrooke has a warlock pact that requires him to murder someone regularly or his patron comes to claim his soul. And Erbard just likes lying, cheating, stealing, killing and mayhem in general.

The PCs gave Constable Tierney the journals. He, and the town, now know what's what.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ahh, one other thing that I forgot to mention in play was that when the unstable portal to Jubilex's realm closed, strange, lightning-like energy was released which struck all of the clone characters and left you feeling all tingly. Something similar happened after closing the unstable portals at the Druidic Standing Stones in the Winter Woods and in Onarra's Druidic Grove in the Weeping Boughs.

You know from experience that this little buzzing inside of you feels louder when you get close to portals, and if you pay attention to it, it can guide you in the general direction of other portals.

You also speculate that it's the same energy which zapped two of you to the Plane of Elemental Earth where you discovered Brigga's stronghold, and then later, zapped all of you to the Plane of Elemental Water where you found Jareth's ruined tower.

Right now, you fel a slight increase in the internal buzzing if you face or move EastSouthEast.

Edited the direction to actually point to the location of Jareth's Tower. :)
Last edited by EvilGenius on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonkga

Re: Episode 17: Aftermath & Planning

Post by Jonkga »

Do we feel as if that portal under Rebel's Redoubt is closed for good, or maybe not?
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

EvilGenius wrote:Right now, you fel a slight increase in the internal buzzing if you face or move EastNorthEast.
Onarra consults our map (I'm assuming we have access to the map Bob has been showing us) in order to determine what lies in that direction.

"Closing these portals may not be in our best interest, but if it brings us closer to confronting the Master, then let's get on with it. He has more than enough influence being trapped in gods know what plane of existence as it is. And I'm tired of waiting for his next surprise." She grows more agitated the closer the party draws to Farweald. "As I've said, I'm in no hurry to see Farweald, but it's more than that. Something about that place bothers me. There's always...eyes on us. I can feel it. We should consolidate our allies and resources and strike first. This...feeling, this buzzing maybe the best lead we have on a solid target. I say we pursue it."
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote:Do we feel as if that portal under Rebel's Redoubt is closed for good, or maybe not?
The portal under Rebel’s Redoubt is closed for good. Bannock’s superior orienteering skills suggest that the location of Jareth’s old tower would lay in the direction of the buzzing.

And the PCs did leave an open, stable portal there. Along with your broken Apparatus of Kwalish ....
Last edited by EvilGenius on Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

EvilGenius wrote:And the PCs did leave an open, stable portal there. Along with your broken Apparatus of Kwalosh ....
Was that the dwarven pseudo-tank analogue we cruised around in?
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Fen's Ego wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:And the PCs did leave an open, stable portal there. Along with your broken Apparatus of Kwalosh ....
Was that the dwarven pseudo-tank analogue we cruised around in?
It's a D&D minisub. It's like a steampunk crab.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ken? Lance? Jim? Any thoughts on where to focus next?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Onarra said:

> "Closing these portals may not be in our best interest, but if it brings us closer to confronting the Master, then let's get on with it."

Brigga agrees. She's very much in favor of forcing a direct confrontation. She's in favor of returning to Jareth’s stronghold and dealing with the portal there.

Ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ok, we've got two votes for going back to the (former) location of Jareth's Tower, at which you left an open, stable gate to the elemental plane of water. With what you've discovered since, it seems likely that the portal is linked to Jareth's soul, meaning that Jareth can attune to it and choose to close it, permanently. From Brigga and Onarra's experience, you think that if Jareth closes the portal he will regain a part of his sundered soul.

You also have a strong suspicion that closing the portal will somehow move closer to freeing Valos, an evil green dragon who was Erk's warlock patron and is known more broadly as The Master.

With Bannock to guide you, you are about 1 and a half days travel away from Jareth's SoulPortal.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

So if the party is going to head back to the former location of Jareth's Tower, what are you doing with the Hammerheart Twins? :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:So if the party is going to head back to the former location of Jareth's Tower, what are you doing with the Hammerheart Twins? :)
Give them a swift kick in the ass and send them home?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:So if the party is going to head back to the former location of Jareth's Tower, what are you doing with the Hammerheart Twins? :)
Give them a swift kick in the ass and send them home?

SMH. Wow, you guys are SO bad at making friends and allies!!! LOL!!

Did you see the part where they're each 9th level adventurers? Just curious. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Well, my friends, I don’t know whether we are yet ready to face this “Master” the dragon. However, I feel that restoring our souls to their intended condition should be one of our highest priorities. We exist as unnatural creatures in this state, and I for one am weary of wrongness and confusion. Let the Master face his foes whole and renewed. Perhaps that, in the end, will be the key to his downfall.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer