Episode 19: Home Field Advantage

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
Jonkga

Re: Episode 19: Home Field Advantage

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock will say to the Oracle:
"Interesting proposal. On first thought I have no objections to it, but our party will have to agree."

To the party Bannock will say:
"So, the Oracle proposes we gift him this evil-doer (pointing at Erbard) in exchange for becoming allies and sharing information. I don't think it's such a bad idea. What do you all think?"
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Onarra will reply to Bannock:

Erbard is filth who lacked the decency to die in battle. If we drag him back to Farweald, he seems as likely to remain imprisoned as Dapple. Let the Oracle have his way with him, the worse his fate the better.

Having weighed in, Onarra will look for signs of the m.i.a. Dapple
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

We'll wait a bit for the other party members to weigh in. I prodded Jim last night (as he asked us to do).
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

In the meantime, you can quickly loot Pembrooke, Elaidha and Erbard. Brigga's Wand of Magic Detection points you to the good stuff. :)

You find:
Erbard
Mithril Half-Plate (Gleaming)
Shield (Gleaming)
Longsword (Ornate)
Potion

Elaidha
Glamoured Breastplate
Dagger
Cloak
Potion x3

Pembrooke
6" crystal statue of a demon
Wand
2 arcane scrolls

Owan
Shield
erilar

Post by erilar »

EvilGenius wrote:We'll wait a bit for the other party members to weigh in. I prodded Jim last night (as he asked us to do).
Jareth responds to the party in hushed tones:

"I don't trust this jumped-up Nothic farther than I can throw him. (Well, I could actually probably throw him quite a distance. Tempting, that...) Farther than I can spit then."

"He is evil, avaricious, and scheming - the worst kind of ally. I don't trust his long term intentions with regard to the portals and the dragon, nor his short term intentions for Ebard. While this cretin doesn't deserve mercy, handing him over to an inhuman abomination seems like an extreme choice of punishment. The town has suffered more from Gloomy Lack of Justice's actions than any others. Let society deal with him as they will."

"Nature's version of justice would be a ripped-out throat here and now, but again the town has suffered more at his hands. I trust that we can ensure that he can not escape. We can magically augment him or his prison such that he can not, or deliver him in such a state that he can not - either option is fine with me."
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock will add:
"Evil or not, this Oracle has certainly not been a foe of ours, and has supplied us with some needed info into our pasts. If we do not hand over this Erbard, I fear we don't have much with which to bargain for more information."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:Jareth responds to the party in hushed tones:

"I don't trust this jumped-up Nothic farther than I can throw him. (Well, I could actually probably throw him quite a distance. Tempting, that...) Farther than I can spit then."

"He is evil, avaricious, and scheming - the worst kind of ally. I don't trust his long term intentions with regard to the portals and the dragon, nor his short term intentions for Ebard. While this cretin doesn't deserve mercy, handing him over to an inhuman abomination seems like an extreme choice of punishment. The town has suffered more from Gloomy Lack of Justice's actions than any others. Let society deal with him as they will."

"Nature's version of justice would be a ripped-out throat here and now, but again the town has suffered more at his hands. I trust that we can ensure that he can not escape. We can magically augment him or his prison such that he can not, or deliver him in such a state that he can not - either option is fine with me."

"Oooohhh mmmm. Heh! Hehheh! Gargantu-Bear is right to be cautious. HEH! Much that you do not know yet. Most of your past is recovered, I think. Heh. Yes, most. But even in your past you did not know of the dragon's machinations. Or of your companion Erk's betrayal. Or of your companion Gwendolyn's secret past. Heh. Secrets you never knew that you never knew!! HEH HEH HEEE!!!!

Learn about some you have, but not all. I have not discovered all, either. And some is not important. Heh! Some is no longer relevant because your former companions have closed their Portals. Who cares now for Balizar's secrets, eh? Heh. Not us! His portal is closed and he serves the dragon. Story closed.

But what of NotAPaladin, hmm?? Heh. Take him into my service, I would. Ways I have to bind him to my will, make him useful instead of destructive. Heh! Not like Blueberry, here. No, noo no. Blueberry and I have a mutual arrangement. Not a slave, he. Partner! Important! Heh. NotAPaladin will be servant. Do as he's told. Prison sentence, of a sort. Work off his misdeeds. Heh.

Or take him back to Demontown. Won't stop you. Not sure what they'll do with him. Dragon likes powerful adventurers, though. And not-so-powerful, too. Does something with them, yes? But what? And would that be worse for him? Or for you? HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHHHHH!!!!! Don't know, FieryFriendsofDemontown, don't know. You decide."

At that, the Oracle looks on all of you, smiling his disconcerting smile, absently playing with the many necklaces he wears.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock will pull Jareth aside, out of earshot of the Oracle and Blueberry:
"My good friend, I understand your aversion to this creature, and I am inclined to agree with you. While not outright hostile to us, it certainly emanates evil. But, in our quest to redeem ourselves and free this town from the greater evil that has inhabited it, this Oracle's brand of evil has not outwardly threatened us or the town.
If I felt this evil-doer (gesturing to Erbard) could find justice in the town, I would concede to your suggestion. However, as that thorn in our side Dapple proved, there is evil in that town greater than the beleaguered sheriff and his staff can handle. I do not think this Erbard would pay for his crimes, and as this fiendish creature suggests, he would probably be brought further into service of the evil we aim to confront. I say that for now we relent and give the prisoner over to the Oracle. Who knows, later on, if we do indeed face this creature as a foe, perhaps we will also be able to bring this excuse for a hero to justice ourselves then as well."

Bannock will then address the party:
"Unless there our other objections, or reasons not yet voiced, are we all in agreement that we hand over this prisoner now?"

Bannock will then approach and address the Oracle:
"Well, it seems then we have struck a bargain. In our efforts to redeem ourselves and rescue Farweald from the evil that corrupts from within and threatens from without, we hand this prisoner over to you. In return, we align our efforts, such as they are with yours, and share information. You get this fallen wretch, and we keep his gear.
Now, what more can you tell us? This protal and what lies beyond? The remaining portals we have yet to discover? If you truly have secrets that would aid our cause, and you want to aim us as a weapon towards the dragon, pray to Pelor that you have usueful information worth at least this poor individual's forfeit soul."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Bannock will then approach and address the Oracle:
"Well, it seems then we have struck a bargain. In our efforts to redeem ourselves and rescue Farweald from the evil that corrupts from within and threatens from without, we hand this prisoner over to you. In return, we align our efforts, such as they are with yours, and share information. You get this fallen wretch, and we keep his gear.
Now, what more can you tell us? This protal and what lies beyond? The remaining portals we have yet to discover? If you truly have secrets that would aid our cause, and you want to aim us as a weapon towards the dragon, pray to Pelor that you have usueful information worth at least this poor individual's forfeit soul."
"HMMMMM, heh heh! Excellent bargain, NightLight! Yes yes, bargain. Mmmmm. Heh."

You accomplish turning over Erbard to the Oracle and Blueberry. You also arrange your loot from Shining Justice and the Oracle agrees to identify the items for you. This is what you get:

Erbard
Mithril Half-Plate (Gleaming)
You see a silvery, shining suit of half-plate, with a golden sunburst on the chest. The effect is beautiful, and though the sunburst crest looks like it could be religious in nature, close examination reveals that it doesn’t match the iconography of any known Sun cult.
When you pick up a piece of the armor, you notice that it is both very light and very strong.
Gleaming - The item never gets dirty.
Mithril - Mithral is a light, flexible metal. A mithral chain shirt or breastplate can be worn under normal clothes. If the armor normally imposes disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks or has a Strength requirement, the mithral version of the armor doesn't.

Shield +1 (Gleaming)
You see a silvery, shining heater style shield, with a large bronzed sun symbol inset into the front, matching the symbol on the half plate you have found. The bronze sun symbol does not match the iconography of any known Sun cult, though it certainly looks very religious.
This shield is very light, but very strong.
Gleaming - The item never gets dirty.

Gotcha
Longsword (Ornate, requires attunement)
You see a beautiful longsword, with a golden sunburst inset in the crossguard, with golden rays extending down the hilt, out the quillions, and down the length of the blade. The pommel is a large, gleaming, golden orb.
When you pick it up, the sword seems significantly lighter than you anticipated, and the weight distribution feels wrong. As you examine the blade more closely, you find that the blade is only about half as long as it appears! This is actually a short sword, but there is a permanent illusion that makes the weapon appear to be a longsword. It appears that the ornate decorations are also an illusion, and the actual weapons is a deceptively plain, but finely made, shortsword!
Ornate – This item is beautifully made and richly decorated. Inset gemstones, gold or platinum
inlays, and gold or silver filigree adorn its surface.
Deceptive – This weapon can project an illusory appearance to appear as a different type of weapon altogether. In combat, you can use this deceptive appearance to great effect, gaining advantage on one melee attack. Once used, this quality cannot be used again against the same opponent in the same combat.

Elaidha
Breastplate +1, Glamoured (Rare)
You see a plain colored shirt, but when you pick it up, the illusion of a shirt fades away to reveal a strong breastplate! As you hold it, the armor's appearance again shifts to match the clothing you wear.
While wearing this armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC. You can also use a bonus action to speak the armor's command word and cause the armor to assume the appearance of a normal set of clothing or some other kind of armor. You decide what it looks like, including color, style, and accessories, but the armor retains its normal bulk and weight. The illusory appearance last until you use this property again or remove the armor.

Dagger of Venom (Rare)
This straight bladed dagger looks both clean and simple. However, upon close examination, it appears that there are tiny holes that run along the blade and there is a faint etching of a drop of liquid just behind the tip of the blade.

You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.
You can use an action to cause thick, black poison to coat the blade. The poison remains for 1 minute or until an attack using this weapon hits a creature. That creature must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or take 2d10 poison damage and become poisoned for 1 minute. The dagger can't be used this way again until the next dawn.

Cape of the Montebank
You see a light cape, deep red on the outside and a glossy, bright yellow on the inside. There also appear to be quite a few hardened gore stains in the cape, which is quite distasteful.
This cape smells faintly of brimstone. While wearing it, you can use it to cast the dimension door spell as an action. This property of the cape can't be used again until the next dawn. When you disappear, you leave behind a cloud of smoke, and you appear in a similar cloud of smoke at your destination. The smoke lightly obscures the space
you left and the space you appear in, and it dissipates at the end of your next turn. A light or stronger wind disperses the smoke.

3 Potions
You see a vibrant red liquid that bubbles slightly.
"Ooohhhh, heh! Heh heh! Appear to be healing potions, these do. Different I think. Dangerous Poison, they are! But not just poison. Heh! FireyPoison! Hahaha!!! TrickseyHarlot! Always trying to burn and poison things." The Oracle shakes his head in bemusement.

Burning Poison -This concoction looks, smells, and tastes like a potion of healing or other beneficial potion. However, it is actually poison masked by illusion magic. An identify spell reveals its true nature.
If you drink it, you take 2d6 fire damage and 2d6 poison damage, and you must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. If you succeed in your Constitution save, you take no further damage. If you fail your save you gain the poisoned condition. At the start of each of your turns while you are poisoned in this way, you take 2d6 fire damage and 2d6 poison damage. At the end of each of your turns, you can repeat the saving throw. On a successful save, the fire and poison damage you take on your subsequent turns decreases by 1d6. The fire and poison end when the damage decreases to 0.

Pembrooke
Figurine of Fiendish Power- Barlurga
(Rare, Wicked, Brutal, Requires Attunement)
This figurine is a burly, leering, fiendish gorilla. The figurine is about 6” tall and carved from different colored crystals which have been bonded together somehow.

....A figurine of fiendish power is a statuette of a fiend small enough to fit in a pocket. If you use an action to speak the command word and throw the figurine to a point on the ground within 60 feet of you, the figurine becomes a fiend. If the space where the fiend would appear is occupied by other creatures or objects, or if there isn’t enough space for the fiend, the figurine doesn’t become a fiend.
....The fiend is friendly to you and your companions. It understands your languages and obeys your spoken commands. If you issue no commands, the fiend defends itself but takes no other actions. See the Monster Manual for the fiend’s statistics.
....The fiend exists for a duration specific to each figurine. At the end of the duration, the fiend reverts to its figurine form. It reverts to a figurine early if it drops to 0 hit points or if you use an action to speak the command word again while touching it. When the fiend becomes a figurine again, its property can’t be used again until a certain amount of time has passed, as specified in the figurine’s description.
....The Figurines are a form of servitude for fiends, but also an opportunity to wreak havoc on the Material Plane. The creatures truly are fiends, but they cannot be permanently banished back to the lower planes unless they are destroyed in figurine form. Such destruction requires specific methods detailed in the individual descriptions.
Barlurga
This figurine is a burly, leering, fiendish gorilla. The figurine is about 6” tall and carved from different colored crystals which have been bonded together somehow. While in possession of the Figurine, the bearer is often tempted to brutal or savage actions. In combat, the possessor will feel a near irresistible urge to take gruesome trophies from dead foes (ears, noses, tongues, eyes, hands, teeth, scalps, etc), even while combat continues around him or her.
....When summoned, the Barlgura has 104 hit points. The figurine stays in Barluga form for 2 hours or until it is reduced to 0 hit points, at which point it reverts to figurine form. Once it has been used it cannot be used again for 4 days.
....It is very difficult to destroy the Barlgura Figurine. First, it must be kept in Figurine form in a Hallowed area for a year and a day (no specific addition effect is required), without ever summoning the Barlgura. Every day during that time, Calm Emotions must be cast on the Figurine. At the end of the year and a day of such treatment, the Figurine will melt into a bubbling dark liquid which immediately evaporates, which Banishes the fiend back into the Lower Planes.
....At the destruction of the Barlurga Figurine, those who were meaningfully involved in its destruction gain a Blessing (DM’s discretion as to who meaningfully participated in destroying the item), per 227 – 228 of the DMG (Health, Protection or Wound Closure would be appropriate).

Brutal Quirk – the bearer is compelled to acts of brutality, especially in combat, even at risk to himself.

Wand of Lightning (Wand, rare, requires attunement by a spellcaster)
This slender wand is made of a clear, rough cut crystal extending from a thick wooden handle. Looking closely, you can see small blue sparks shooting too and fro in the crystal.
This wand has 7 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast the lightning bolt spell (save DC 15) from it. For 1 charge, you cast the 3rd-level version of the spell. You can increase the spell slot level by one for each additional charge you expend.
The wand regains ld6 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn. If you expend the wand's last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the wand crumbles into ashes and is destroyed.

Owan
Rao's Redoubt
Shield +1 (rare, Religious: Rao, requires attunement)
You see a well-made heater shield, painted a simple white. When you pick it up, you see on the inside of the shield, just below the top edge, there is a fist sized enamel mask with a calm expression. You recognize the mask as a holy symbol of Rao, and you feel calmer while looking at the mask.
This is a +1 shield that was created by the church of Rao. A cleric of Rao can use the shield as a focus for spellcasting.
Additionally, the wielder gains a +1 bonus to Wisdom saving throws while attuned to the shield.

Secret - The shield will sometimes cast Calm Emotions on its bearer when it senses the bearer is entering a heightened emotional state. An attuned wielder always fails this save. Rao's Redoubt can cast Calm Emotions like this once, then not again until after a long rest.
Last edited by EvilGenius on Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Owan
Rao's Redoubt
Shield +1 (rare, Religious: Rao, requires attunement)
You see a well-made heater shield, painted a simple white. When you pick it up, you see on the inside of the shield, just below the top edge, there is a fist sized enamel mask with a calm expression. You recognize the mask as a holy symbol of Rao, and you feel calmer while looking at the mask.
This is a +1 shield that was created by the church of Rao. A cleric of Rao can use the shield as a focus for spellcasting.
Additionally, the wielder gains a +1 bonus to Wisdom saving throws while attuned to the shield.

Secret - The shield will sometimes cast Calm Emotions on its bearer when it senses the bearer is entering a heightened emotional state. An attuned wielder always fails this save. Rao's Redoubt can cast Calm Emotions like this once, then not again until after a long rest.
Onarra smiles and says:
Brigga, Bannock...this shield was made for you. Then again, most of us could use a little magical medication now and then.

Onarra is interested in the cape, wand, and dagger, in that order. But she's taken the Force Cube and Lil' Buddy recently, so others should have dibs first.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock will express his interest in the Mithril Half-Plat (Gleaming), and the Shield +1 (Gleaming), as both would be an upgrade from the worn and acid-scarred breastplate and shield he is using.