Episode 20: Stranger in a Strange Land

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Episode 20: Stranger in a Strange Land

Post by EvilGenius »

The PCs are currently beneath their companion Mordai's old keep, Lucky Break, in its hidden underground complex. You have just made an alliance with The Oracle, with the shared aim of finding out once and for all the dragon Valos's scheme and trying to thwart it. The evil adventuring company, Shining Justice, lies dead or captured by your hand, with the exception of Dapple Goodberry, whose whereabouts are unknown.

The Oracle has told you that he has sent your companion Mordai though the open portal to the City of Brass to parlay with a powerful efreeti lord named Shahzadeh Mamoun Yaser Aziz, The Generous, aka "The Fire Lord". Also with Lord Shahzadeh is your former companion Gwendolyn Haupt and her secret half sister, Leigha, who disappeared from Farweald on the same night that you arrived.

The Oracle has suggested leaving Mordai's Soul Portal open for the time being, until you more fully understand the dragon's plans. But that is not all he proposes .....

Blueberry takes the captive and bound Erbard back into The Oracle's chambers while the strange nothic regards you eagerly. "An opportunity we have here, I think. Yes. Heh! Heh heh! We do not know all we need to of the dragon Valos's plans, or of his predicament. But there is one who may know more than we. Valos made an alliance with an efreeti. Heh! Lord of Fire! Well placed in the fabled City of Brass. The dragon collects you, the twiceborn, the gateclones, in an attempt to close all of the portals linked to your soul. Those of you who serve him think this will somehow free the dragon from wherever he is trapped. But how, I wonder? Heh. Much thought have I given it but no answers have I found. Heeehhhhhhh!

But this lord of fire, Shahzadeh, he collects your former companions, also. Though not gateclones. He collects the Sisters of Flame, and now Demonchild. And possibly another, SavageSong. Unaccounted for, he is. Heh! Missing puzzle-piece! Hahahahaha!!!!

Firelord may know more about the dragon's plans and predicaments. Specifically, about the Book of Infinite Souls. HEHHEHHEHHEH!!!! Yes yes!! Very mysterious is that artifact. VEEEERRRRRYYYY mysteriousss!!! HEH! I believe the dragon was trapped trying to lay claim to the Book, but very difficult to find any information on it. Scoured many places I have, no information to be found.

Of course, not many repositories of magical knowledge here in the northlands. Not even in Quirinseyru's library did I find any more than a mention of the Book.

But the City of Brass holds knowledge from all across the many Planes of Existence!! And Lord Shahzadeh fancies himself quite knowledgeable about such things, he does. I propose that we contact Mordai and have him open his portal to bring you to Lord Shahzadeh, where you may bargain for the information you need. Heh! Not cheap, I fear. No no no. Not cheap. But obtain this knowledge you may. Help you your companions may.

This is what I propose. Only condition is that you share any information you gain with me. HEH! What say you, TwiceBorn? Want to see the fabled City of Brass??"
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Re: Episode 20: Stranger in a Strange Land

Post by EvilGenius »

The PCs rested and re-equipped after their fight with Shining Justice. However, worried about Dapple remaining unaccounted for, the PCs decided to attempt to scry on the diminutive assassin, just to make sure he wasn't hiding nearby waiting for the chance to murder them. After Quarion cast the spell, the PCs saw Dapple in the woods, fighting a humanoid looking wolf! Jareth and Onarra immediately recognized the form as that of a werewolf in hybrid form, but just as the realization stuck, so did Dapple, as he plunged his short sword deep into the werewolf's side. The snarling hybrid form collapsed and rapidly transformed back into the form of an elven woman. The same elven woman who the PCs had just freed from captivity and who knew Quarion from his former life!

The spell's view shifted as it focused again on Dapple, who started running though the woods as fast as he could, all the while bandaging deep wounds on his left forearm. After a moment though, Dapple started looking over his shoulder and the PCs could see the elven werewolf again chasing the halfling. Then the spell ended.

Somewhat shaken and more than a little confused, the PCs used a second scrying spell to attempt to learn the location of the elven man they had also set free from captivity. Brigga concentrated for a moment, then was surprised to see the spell center again on Dapple, running through the forest!

The PCs watched Dapple flee the cursed beast chasing him and an unpleasant truth dawned on them. Dapple had obviously been impersonating the elven man, using some kind of magic to do so, and the PCs had unwittingly freed their enemy!

Brigga grumpily ended her spell. "Dammit. Well, at least he's getting chased by a damned werewolf!"
Bannock replied, "yeah, hopefully she kills him and doesn't just infect him with lycanthropy ....."

The rest of the PCs sighed, sincerely hoping they had seen the last of their dangerous foe.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

After their rest was complete, the PCs signaled the Oracle that they were ready to contact Mordai. The Oracle concentrated for a few moments then replied that Mordai was ready to bring them through.

The inside of the portal darkened then clarified into the scene of an opulent waiting chamber. Mordai was waiting on the other side of the portal, looking somewhat anxious. With a determined look, the PCs stepped through the portal, which promptly closed behind them.

The PCs chatted with Mordai and found out the following:
1) Mordai has pretty good control over his portal now. He can create a portal from wherever he is back to the stable portal beneath his keep. He can also use his SoulPortal to open a portal to a limited number of outer planar destinations.
2) Mordai is the 'guest' of Lord Shazidah Mamoun Yaser Aziz, The Generous, aka The Firelord
3) Lord Shazidah had a temporary and limited partnership with the dragon Valos, aka The Master
4) Gwendolyn Haupt and Leigha Pelschyn, secretly half-sisters, are also not fully human. Somewhere in their lineage, they have an efreeti ancestor, which is why Lord Shazidah is interested in them (not for paternal or familial links, solely for the potential power they may wield).
5) Lord Shazidah is very highly placed in efreeti society in the City of Brass. The earliest he can possibly meet with the PCs is the following evening.

The PCs leave Lord Shazidah's palace and ask one of the exterior guards for directions to any nearby places to stay. The guard directs them to the Hanged Man Inn, a place that caters to off-world travelers. The PCs find the Inn easily enough, though they see every type of creature imaginable on their way, at whom Onarra cannot help but gawk. Once at the Inn, the PCs get a 'cheap' suite, then book a tour of the city.

Their tour guide takes them to the walls where they can see the fabled Lake of Fire, then at Onarra's request, they find one of the many parks located throughout the city. This particular park is a recreation of a specific area on Oerth called Hepmonaland. The PCs entered the park and were immediately engaged by a huckster who offered to show them a secret pyramid deep within the park. The PCs expected a trap and were thus not particularly surprised when the huckster seemed to disappear behind a rock. Bannock led everyone right to the location where the huckster had disappeared, and Onarra easily spotted the secret door, and figured out how to open it.

Before the PCs could proceed into the small cave beyond the secret door though, a wave of magical confusion swept over them and a particularly large tree behind them animated and started to attack! After a brief fight, the PCs vanquished both the Confusion effect and the Treant (and its animated tree companions), leaving only the now-defenseless huckster in his cave.

Hearing the PCs decide his fate, the huckster threw himself at the PCs feet, begging for mercy and offering his service. The PCs relented and allowed the man to serve them instead of turning him over to the authorities (whatever form that would take, here).
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Your new 'servant', Benny the Huckster

EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Little Benny had amassed a small horde while running this scam. The PCs find this in his cave:

Coin
500 sp of various mintage. And by 'various' i mean, different planes of existence.
200 gp of various mintage.
1000 pp of various mintage.

A belt of thick, heavy gold plates worth 2200gp
3 different styles of gold slave collars fitted with precious gems. Each is worth 500gp.

3 large rubies worth 2000gp each
1 large diamond worth 1500gp
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Casters, check to see if any of your spells require the gems.
I'm looking at you, Planar Binding
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

And, we should see if we can fit Benny with one of those collars.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

So I was thinking a little bit about what the PCs would know about the City of Brass from legends and stories. Here’s what I think they should already know. :)

Common Knowledge: DC5
The City of Brass is the capital city of the fire genies
The city is located on the border of the Plane of Elemental Fire
Beings from all over all of the planes come to The City of Brass to trade
It’s said you can find anything in the City of Brass

I Paid Attention to the Stories! DC10
The City of Brass sits on a huge hemisphere of brass that can move very slowly around the Planes.
There are also a lot of fiends and other 'fire associated' creatures in the City of Brass
The City is ruled by a Sultan, who lives in the Charcoal Palace
The Efreeti rely heavily on slave labor (of all different races).
Because of the slave labor, there are many harsh laws in The City of Brass, including a mandatory curfew.
There is a section of the city that is nearly lawless where even the Sultan's forces refuse to go except in great force.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock is all about making sure the party tows the line and doesn't violate any of the laws while we are in the City.
We are here to hopefully get info on the dragon and then get back to the Prime Material.
Maybe some shopping, but not much exploration - don't want to chance messing everything up.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote:Bannock is all about making sure the party tows the line and doesn't violate any of the laws while we are in the City.
We are here to hopefully get info on the dragon and then get back to the Prime Material.
Maybe some shopping, but not much exploration - don't want to chance messing everything up.

Yes, that totally sounds like a lot of fun and almost exactly what the DM has in mind ........ :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I'm not saying it will happen that way - just that Bannock is going to approach it that way from the beginning. :)
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

EvilGenius wrote:Yes, that totally sounds like a lot of fun and almost exactly what the DM has in mind ........ :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
...cuz Onarra is still gawping at anything more unusual than a turnip and visibly uncomfortable with everything this city has to offer, EXCEPT for the extremely lethal trees roaming in what amounts to an unkempt botanical garden/jungle terrarium. She's like Lieutenant Dan, newly stateside with even fewer coping mechanisms and more triggers. And legs.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Fen's Ego wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:Yes, that totally sounds like a lot of fun and almost exactly what the DM has in mind ........ :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
...cuz Onarra is still gawping at anything more unusual than a turnip and visibly uncomfortable with everything this city has to offer, EXCEPT for the extremely lethal trees roaming in what amounts to an unkempt botanical garden/jungle terrarium. She's like Lieutenant Dan, newly stateside with even fewer coping mechanisms and more triggers. And legs.
LOL. Great character description. 'Fucked up like Lieutenant Dan, but with legs.' :P
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

So the PCs are in the 'Hepmonaland Park' in the City of Brass. Your tour guide from the House of the Hanged Man, Musef, nervously clears his throat to make a suggestion.

"O noble travellers, may I suggest that we begin to make our way back to the bountiful House of the Hanged Man? As recent guests to the City of Brass, you may not be aware of the mandatory curfew, benevolently enforced for the protection and propriety of our happy citizenry. I assure you, it is most perilous to be caught out and about after curfew. Those who break curfew are subject to a heavy fine at least, and probable imprisonment in addition. Assuming, of course, that one does not attempt to resist the lawful apprehension by the Sultan's Waddaha ."

Benny rolls his eyes during Musef's elegant speech. "Do not listen to this gelded coward, I beg of you, Masters! I can show you the REAL City of Brass! The Rookery NEVER closes! Not even the Sultan's men dare enter the Rookery except in great force! You can find anything you want in the Rookery, gambling, liquor from hundreds of Planes, pleasure dens and fighting pits. ANYTHING you can imagine, you can find in the Rookery!!!"

Musef looks horrified at the suggestion. "O Wise and Humble guests, do not listen to this, this common street thief, I beseech you! The Rookery is infamous as the most lawless of places, not only in the City of Brass or on the Plane of Elemental Fire, but in all of the planes!! ALL OF THEM!!! Please, come away with me now, Gentles, come back with me to the House! We have entertainments! There are plentiful diversions in our spacious entertainment areas, our open air garden, our coffee bars. There is music! And gaming! And, and, we even have JUGGLERS this fine evening! I beseech you, do not allow yourself to be led to doom and damnation in the Rookery!! Know this, *I* will not accompany you there."

Benny looks back at you sardonically. "OOOooohh, well. JUGGLERS, Masters! That WOULD be the safe thing to do ....."

So what does the Party want to do? :)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock is all for following our guide back to the inn so as not to miss curfew. He is also all about bringing our new servant with us, as he has agreed to serve us.