Episode 20: Stranger in a Strange Land

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
Fen's Ego

Re: Episode 20: Stranger in a Strange Land

Post by Fen's Ego »

Onarra speaks to the party:

"If violating curfew puts us on the Fire Lord's naughty list before we've had our audience, then we need to play by the rules and you should head back. We need all the information he will offer on the dragon and the book. However..."

she counts out some coins and looks to Musef

"I have no desire to spend a single night in that magnificent prison. Perhaps our guide can be persuaded to have lost track of us in the sprawl, and we can make better use of our time. Might there be another source of information in this Rookery? The risk may be worth the reward." She eyes Benny. "Unless Benny thinks another trap might improve his current standing with us?"

Onarra savors a deep breath of the fresher park air. "Or we can just stay here." Her shoulders lose a fraction of their tension. "Here is good."
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:Bannock is all for following our guide back to the inn so as not to miss curfew. He is also all about bringing our new servant with us, as he has agreed to serve us.
Brigga agrees. She has no desire to go looking for trouble after curfew, but she would be interested in looking for repositories of arcane knowledge the next day (particularly those willing to sell spell scrolls for inclusion in her own spellbooks).
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Does anyone in the party have a way to deal with Onarra's stress about going back? (OOC - like the A-Team giving BA a pill to fly.)

I agree with Brigga that exploring the city tomorrow may include a trip into the Rookery. However, taking time to get more info before we do so might be most beneficial.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Upweekis

Post by Upweekis »

I agree that we should head back to the hotel/inn.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ok, so the PCs decide on the safe and wise course of action (for the time being), and follow Musef's recommendation to head back to the House of the Hanged Man. For now, Onarra will accompany you, since no one has any method of calming her unease at being 'trapped' in civilized areas.

You make good time though the crowded and narrow streets and easily make it back to the House of the Hanged Man before curfew. To recap, the House is a large, squarish, 5 story building. Each side of the building is easily 100 yards long. The first level is painted stone block but upper levels are studded with small porches and balconies, all covered with decorative partitions with the distinctive style that seems so unfamiliar to you (Arabian).

Inside, the first floor is largely an open lounge area, with many pillars which support the upper levels of the building. In the middle of the House there is a spacious open air garden, with many tall palm trees, the tallest of which reaches nearly to the fifth floor. In the middle of the garden is a decorative fountain made of gold, silver and brass, formed in the shape of a human man struggling against a fiery noose which is strangling him. Cool water pours from the statue's eyes, mouth and nether regions, to be collected in the large golden pool below.

All around the floor, there are beings of all sort mingling. There are sections of the lounge that have counters in front of strange steaming metal cylinders, and people serving hot drinks in delicate looking cups. There are several sections where quiet music is playing, and several more where people appear to be gambling on dice and card games. There is even, as Musef, promised, several halfling jugglers making their way through the crowds.

Musef is visibly relieved to be back in the House of the Hanged Man. Benny looks around the various lounges with a sigh of boredom.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!