Episode 20.5: Stranger in a Strange Land

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Re: Episode 20.5: Stranger in a Strange Land

Post by EvilGenius »

Ok, so Brigga casts Message and designates the Fire Lord. To move things along I’ll paraphrase the message based on what you have learned.

The response you receive from The FireLord is this: “your mission was to aid Eezamm in assassinating a powerful guest at his upcoming social function! DO NOT KILL EEZAMM!! Await further orders!”
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

A few tense moments pass while Lord Eezamm cautiously gets up, clearly not quite sure if you will heed Lord Shahzadeh's command. Eezamm tries to keep the smugness out of his voice as he addresses you. "You made the right choice, o wise heroes! You will be mightily rewarded for throwing off those cunning witches' plot! I will give to you what was promised. If I may?"

Lord Eezamm slowly moves around the party, noting Bannock's blade is still drawn. "Come, come. My treasures are accessed via my Throne of Flame. You have my word of honor that I shall not double cross you in any way." The efreeti continues to give assurances as the PCs cautiously follow him toward his throne at the top of the highest dais.

The remaining fire giant also move cautiously, hands raised before him in a mixture of surrender and defensiveness. When Eezamm reaches his throne he says, "Noble heroes, I must enter the flame to access my treasures. I shall return momentarily, you have my word". With that, Eezamm bows before you, backing up into the pit of flame, then disappearing into the fire. You are all concerned that you have been duped and begin muttering amongst yourselves when Eezamm reappears in the firepit, holding two items, a helm and a large tome.

Eezamm floats toward you, again bowing low and offers the items to Bannock, who nods for Onarra and Jareth to take them instead, refusing to sheathe his sword or stow his shield. Eezamm backs away from you slowly, clearly relieved that the bargain appears to be holding for now.

Brigga suddenly looks more attentive as she receives a return sending from Lord Shahzadeh. "You have done well in bringing this to me, and shall be rewarded. When finished, return to my palace with Lord Eezamm and the helm." Brigga begins to reply but realizes the mystic connection has been closed (unlike the spell that she herself used earlier).

Brigga relays the message to the PCs and Lord Eezamm seems to relax a little bit, as though he had been holding his breath and only just let it out.
The fierce efreeti again bows low to the PCs. "I have made a most serious promise, worthy masters, and the laws of my kind bind me to fulfill my promise. You may ask 3 wishes of me, and I shall not attempt to subvert you will in any way in carrying them out. I do, however, reserve the right to warn you of any inherent dangers your wish may carry, though I will not prevent you from choosing to continue. I await your wise instructions."
Last edited by EvilGenius on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

For reference, here is the 5e Wish:

Wish is the mightiest spell a mortal creature can cast. By simply speaking aloud, you can alter the very foundations of reality in accord with your desires.

The basic use of this spell is to duplicate any other spell o f 8th level or lower. You don’t need to meet any requirements in that spell, including costly components. The spell simply takes effect.

Alternatively, you can create one of the following effects of your choice:
• You create one object of up to 25,000 gp in value that isn’t a magic item. The object can be no more than 300 feet in any dimension, and it appears in an unoccupied space you can see on the ground.
• You allow up to twenty creatures that you can see to regain all hit points, and you end all effects on them described in the greater restoration spell.
• You grant up to ten creatures that you can see resistance to a damage type you choose.
• You grant up to ten creatures you can see immunity to a single spell or other magical effect for 8 hours. For instance, you could make yourself and all your companions immune to a lich’s life drain attack.
• You undo a single recent event by forcing a reroll of any roll made within the last round (including your last turn). Reality reshapes itself to accommodate the new result. For example, a wish spell could undo an opponent’s successful save, a foe’s critical hit, or a friend’s failed save. You can force the reroll to be made with advantage or disadvantage, and you can choose whether to use the reroll or the original roll.

You might be able to achieve something beyond the scope o f the above examples. State your wish to the DM as precisely as possible. The DM has great latitude in ruling what occurs in such an instance; the greater the wish, the greater the likelihood that something goes wrong. This spell might simply fail, the effect you desire might only be partly achieved, or you might suffer some unforeseen consequence as a result of how you worded
the wish. For example, wishing that a villain were dead might propel you forward in time to a period when that villain is no longer alive, effectively removing you from the game. Similarly, wishing for a legendary magic item or artifact might instantly transport you to the presence of the item’s current owner.

The stress of casting this spell to produce any effect other than duplicating another spell weakens you. After enduring that stress, each time you cast a spell until you finish a long rest, you take 1d10 necrotic damage per level o f that spell. This damage can’t be reduced or prevented in any way. In addition, your Strength drops to 3, if it isn’t 3 or lower already, for 2d4 days. For each of those days that you spend resting and doing nothing more than light activity, your remaining recovery time decreases by 2 days. Finally, there is a 33 percent chance that you are unable to cast wish ever again if you suffer this stress.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

A metagaming note about wishes.

Since this is technically still the 'playtest' campaign, we're trying out different things, including being granted wishes, to see how they work in the game and how they are different than prior editions. So we can discuss the wishes here and then see how they play out. My intention is NOT to play gotcha, and punish you for poorly worded wishes. Thus, the efreeti granting your wishes will play it straight with you and will warn you if something isn't possible, like wishing the Book of Infinite Souls out of existence, for example.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock will sheathe his sword.

He will cast Healing Spirit at 3rd level, conjuring into existence a spectral wolf. As folks move through the spirit on their turn, they receive 2d6 healing. He will encourage Eeazam to partake of healing as well. As it lasts for a minute, that'll be a total of 20d6 healing each potentially.

Bannock will also suggest that they use one of their wishes to duplicate the casting of Plane Shift so they can all go home, after they speak to the Fire Lord, of course.

He will ask Eeazam if he has a quick safe way to get to the fire lord's palace. We don't want to encounter agents of the witches if we can help it.

He will also explain to Eeazam that his staff cooperated due to thinking we were working on the fire lord's orders, so take that into account.

Finally, he will wonder aloud to the party, "if Gwendolyn is working against the fire lord, who is she really working for, and how will that have reppurcussions for us, and for Farweald?"
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Brigga reviews the tome.

Investigation: 21
Arcana: 11

(rolls done in Roll20)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange