Episode 20.75: Strangers in a Strange Land: Aftermath

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
Fen's Ego

Re: Episode 20.75: Strangers in a Strange Land: Aftermath

Post by Fen's Ego »

"What Jareth says makes excellent sense and paints a terrible picture of multiple players after the Book. I know this is projecting ahead of our current dilemma, but what is our endgame here?"

We really don't want anyone accessing an artifact that even gods couldn't destroy (??) and had to hide.
Valos has already claimed the Book, so we can assume it is no longer inert.
If we close our portals and free Valos, he returns, and so does the Book.
If we manage to defeat Valos, we still have multiple players who could claim the Book.
If we manage to keep them from it, how do we get it back to Donjon (if it cannot be destroyed)?
- It's possible Valos has one of the magical chests with him in Donjon; we might be able to send it there, but someone still needs to be on the receiving end if this is possible.
- If we CAN access Donjon, is the world better off by finishing him there, even if we ourselves are trapped?

"We seem to be starting two fires for every one we think we put out."

...ugh, I have to run errands. More thoughts later, but wanna know if anyone sees a clearer path.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

After much discussion, the PCs settled on the following wishes from Lord Eezamm Gejeq Mulahjim, Master of the Howling Flame.

* First, the PCs wished to know the location of Bannock's Soul Portal, since no one has discovered any information about it over the course of your adventures. The answer received was In the Fellreev Forest, at the Singing Pools, on the edge between the Prime Material Plane and the Feywild.
* Second, the PCs wished for 25 diamonds worth 1,000gp each. The diamonds appeared on the ground next to the PCs.
* Third, the PCs wished that everyone in the party had Resistance to Necrotic damage.

All of those wishes were right in line with the parameters of a wish and thus, there were no complications in carrying them out.

The PCs reward in place, Lord Shahzadeh Mamoun Yaser Aziz, The Generous, summoned the PCs and Lord Eezamm to join him at his palace. The PCs followed Lord Eezamm through the crowded streets until you came back to Lord Shahzadeh's palace. There was even more activity here at Shahzadeh's palace, with a heavy contingent of guards, both salamanders and efreeti. The guards saw the PCs with Lord Eezamm and let them right through.

The PCs and Lord Eezamm were ushered right though to see Lord Shahzadeh in his huge audience chamber. Shahzadeh congratulated the PCs on their wisdom in questioning such terrible and treacherous orders. Shahzadeh requested to examine the Helm that the PCs had received from Lord Eezamm, and proceeded to explain how the Helm worked.

The items linked to the Book of Infinite Souls allowed for two different beings to attune to them: a master attunement and a slave attunement. As an action, the Master attunement could trigger the device to drain the soul of the person wearing the Helm. Lord Shahzadeh then offered a demonstration.

Gwendolyn Haupt and her secret half sister, Leigha, were brought out, bound and gagged, and made to kneel in front of Lord Shahzadeh. The efreeti smiled cruelly as he slammed the Helm onto Leigha's head and snapped his fingers. The girl immediately fell completely limp. The Fire Lord bent down and removed the helm from his dead descendant and slammed the Helm onto Gwendolyn Haupt's head, ignoring her ineffectual attempts to free herself and the desperate, pleading glances she shot toward her former adventuring companions. With a snap of his fingers, Shahzadeh drained Gwendolyn's soul, feeding it to the Book of Infinite Souls.

Shahzadeh again leaned down and picked up the Helm from the dead woman at his feet and casually tossed the terrible artifact to Bannock. "Now you shall receive your reward from me for seeing through this witch's betr...." Whatever Lord Shahzadeh had been about to say was interrupted by the muffled sound of an explosion which rocked the palace, immediately followed by angry roars and the sound of combat.

Almost before anyone could react, efreeti and salamander soldiers began to pour into Lord Shahzadeh's audience hall falling upon The Fire Lord's vastly outnumbered forces. Shahzadeh drew a massive scimitar, exclaiming, "We are discovered! How did the Sultan know wha..." A look of fury crossed Shahzadeh's face as he stared down at his two dead descendants, then his gaze snapped to the PCs. "You mortals! Join me in repelling the Sultan's attack and you will be well rewarded!"

Before you could reply to the deadly chaos swirling closer to you, several efreeti burst from side doors and engaged Lord Shahzadeh and Lord Eezamm in a fierce battle. Any action by the PCs was interrupted by a shout from Mordai, though. "I'm not getting involved with this", the tiefling shouted over the din of battle. A familiar blue portal opened in front of the tiefling and he looked back over his shoulder. "Anyone who wants to come with me had better come now, because I'm LEAVING!"

The PCs looked at each other, then at the overwhelming battle raging around them and darted for the open portal. Quarion hesitated only for a moment to reach down and grab Gwendolyn and Leigha's limp bodies and drag them along with him as he charged through the portal with Mordai.
Last edited by EvilGenius on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Back in the Prime Material plane, the PCs adjusted to the stark contrast between the opulence of the City of Brass and the grimy, worn ruins beneath Mordai's former home, Lucky Break.

With the sound of battle still ringing in your ears, you all hear a familiar voice in your minds. "Heh. Back in a hurry, it seems. Something not right in the City of Brass? HEH HEH!! Oooooh, Mordai is back too? And I see these Sisters of Flame have been, heh, extinguished, mmmm? Heh. Fire Lord would not have liked that! Unless, of course, he extinguished them? Heh. HEHEHEHE!"

The Oracle and Blueberry stepped out from the side chamber, followed by Erbard of Shining Justice, in the ornate platemail given to him by the Oracle to mark his servitude.

"Hmmm, what about the Dragon, Valos, did you learn, my allies? Hmmm? Heh! What about The Book, hmm? What is the Dragon doing, hmmm??"

The PCs were evasive in their answers, and quickly took their leave of their strange ally, citing the need to return Gwendolyn and Leigha's bodies back to Farweald. While Quarion was wrapping the bodies in Corellon's Shroud and Brigga went in search of a wagon, Bannock and Onarra had a heart to heart with Mordai, convincing the tiefling that he should close his Soul Portal here and return to Farweald with them. Mordai assessed his options and decided it was preferable to return to Farweald then to stay here with The Oracle. After a few moments of concentration, Mordai was able to close his Portal. A look of shock, then comprehension, crossed Mordai's face, but he refused to divulge whatever memories he may have recovered by regaining a piece of his soul.

The Oracle looked on, passively, as the Portal closed and the PCs made their preparations to leave. "Heh. Very well, when you find out more, you know where to contact me, hmmmm? Heh. Good allies, you are. HEH!!" With that, The Oracle turns and walks back into his chamber, Blueberry and Erbard falling in behind him.
Last edited by EvilGenius on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

The PCs took it easy on the way back to Farweald, arriving back at town at the end of the second day after leaving Lucky Break. As the PCs approached the North Gate, they could see it was closed and several guards could be seen casually looking over the wall toward the forest. When the guards saw the PCs, they immediately straightened up and adopted a hostile attitude.

"Oi! You lot again, eh? Whaddyou want this time?" Bannock immediately started fuming at the guard's questions, mutely gripping the pommel of his sword. Onnara stepped forward, nodding toward the Grandwood, visible above the northwest corner of town. "We work for Councilman Bern Haupt and are his invited guests. Let us through or be prepared to explain to the Council why you've interfered with their decrees."

The guards look at each other, then another guard leans toward them, nodding to Quarion. "Hey, that there's that healer elf what fixed up Myron and his kids. Open the doors, Meekum." With some reluctance the guards disappeared behind the wooden palisade wall and you could hear the sound of bolts being drawn back. The doors opened and the PCs strode through. The surly guard, Meekum, glared at Bannock as he passed. "We'll be watching you lot. Ifn' you know what's good for you, you'll behave yourselves, now."

The contemptuous attitude of the guard was too much for Bannock to stomach though. His sword out in a flash, Bannock made to run the surly man through, only to be blocked by Quarion hugging his arm and forcing his blade toward the ground. "Let's go, Bannock, we're not here to kill anyone. We have to report to Bern. About .... The Matter? Remember??"

Bannock didn't say a word, just shook off the elf and re-sheathed his sword, all while staring the terrified guard right in the eye. The PCs hurried off, but Quarion's keen ears heard the guards muttering at their backs. "Meekum you damn fool! You NEVER talk to that one! Not him, nor the dwarf lady, nor that other, wild looking human. It's only safe to talk to them two elves or that brimstoner."

Quarion shook his head at the casual slur describing Mordai, thankful that Bannock hadn't heard it.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

The PCs returned to the Grandwood, where Bern Haupt's tiefling servants immediately came forward to care for the PCs horses and see to their wagon. Quarion shooed the youngsters away from the wagon, not wanting them to lift the tarp covering the two deceased daughters of their host.

The PCs went in to refresh themselves and learned that Bern Haupt would be back relatively soon for dinner. Shortly, the tiefling servants could be heard greeting the Councilman and informing him of the PCs return. Bern came in to chat with the PCs who broke the news of Gwendolyn and Leigha's deaths, then took him to show him the bodies.

Bern stood looking at the two women, their family resemblance easier to see with them laid out beside each other beneath the fine blue and silver netting, studded with softly glowing moonstones.

Bern was quite distraught over his daughter's death, and thanked the PCs for bringing her home, praising their courage, certain that they had done everything possible to save his daughter, their dear adventuring companion. Wrapped in his own grief, the Councilman did not notice the guilty glances exchanged between the PCs.

Bern also thanked the PCs for bringing Councilman Lemend's daughter, Leigha, home at long last, and sent a tiefling servant to bring the news to Lemend so that Leigha could be returned to her family, too.

As the tiefling messenger ran off, Bern looked up from the women and sighed, eyes following his servant as he disappeared down the hill. "I hope the lad doesn't run into trouble on the way. Almost everyone in town has fired any tieflings who worked for them. I'm one of the only people left who employs any tieflings in any capacity. You don't see many around town now; they mostly stay in The Invisibles. There have been a few incidents in the last couple of weeks, so now guards stake out the edge of that section of town. You know, to keep townsfolk from going in there and stirring up trouble." You exchange knowing glances again, well aware that guards work both ways ....
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Onarra:

"There will be no rest for me beneath Master Haupt's gracious roof. I'll make camp outside Farweald's southeastern border. Gonna circumvent The Invisibles on my way, see if the guards need any 'help'. Seems some people in this town forget shame and humility awful fast. Reminders are needed."

Is Lemend's home on the way?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Fen's Ego wrote:Onarra:

"There will be no rest for me beneath Master Haupt's gracious roof. I'll make camp outside Farweald's southeastern border. Gonna circumvent The Invisibles on my way, see if the guards need any 'help'. Seems some people in this town forget shame and humility awful fast. Reminders are needed."

Is Lemend's home on the way?
You ask Bern Haupt about Councilor Lemend’s dwelling. Haupt says that if you hurry, you can follow the tiefling servant to his house, which is in the nice part of the northern side of town.
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Onarra will catch up with the tiefling and head toward Councilor Lemend's home.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Fen's Ego wrote:Onarra will catch up with the tiefling and head toward Councilor Lemend's home.
Onarra sets off from the Grandwood, striding down the moderately sloped rood toward the industrial section of Farweald. There is a fair amount of activity at the base of the hill, as people are bringing materials to the smithies and to the lumber mill further down. Try as you might, however, you don't catch sight of the tiefling lad. He had only left a few minutes before you, and there aren't any other tieflings in sight. It seems odd that you hadn't caught up to him.

You continue on toward the nicer section of town, asking a passerby where you can find Councilor Lemend's home. It takes a few tries to find someone who will speak to you (and who knows the answer to your question), but you do eventually make your way to the Councilor's home. There is no activity inside, that you can tell, and you don't see any sign of Bern Haupt's tiefling servant.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Replies Moved to new thread.