Episode 28: The Book Devours

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Episode 28: The Book Devours

Post by EvilGenius »

Inside of the Book, Quirinseyru advises the PCs that they should take a few moments to prepare themselves, as he is sure that there will be some assault soon.

Valos' minions, the two dragonborn, Khrytos and Balrakas, along with the Soul Shards of the turned former PCs, Erk, Mordai, Balisar, and Naziah, now control the Well of the Worlds. Quirinseyru believes that Valos will send some powerful servants after them to try and seize control of the Heart (sphere of annihilation), thus securing his control over the Book of Infinite Souls.

Quirinseyru also advises the PCs that he has several magical resources that he's gathered from the Book in the years that he's been trapped here. You have seen shards of several magical items, great and small, since you've been here, Quirinseyru has gathered some in an attempt to prevent them from being used to power the Book of Infinite Souls, and he offers them if the PCs think they need any help.

Brigga, Quarion, and Onarra, you can ask Quirinseyru for a magical item of up to Very Rare rarity, and there is a chance that he will have it available, or know where to find it in the Book.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Fen's Ego

Re: Episode 28: The Book Devours

Post by Fen's Ego »

Within the inherent chaos of nature, Onarra has found a measure of peace that has eluded her in civilization. Communing with her less experienced, less damaged soul fragment has reminded her that harmony can still be found, and even internalized. She chooses to recall greater depths of Druidic teaching (+2 Druid).

While reflecting on these insights, she considers her former mentor's offer: "I think the best chance I have of helping my companions win this fight is to STAY IN the fight. And I've been getting knocked out a lot lately. Like, A LOT." Her pale, dirt-streaked face burns briefly crimson as she sheepishly asks for a Cloak of Displacement.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Fen's Ego wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:26 pm Within the inherent chaos of nature, Onarra has found a measure of peace that has eluded her in civilization. Communing with her less experienced, less damaged soul fragment has reminded her that harmony can still be found, and even internalized. She chooses to recall greater depths of Druidic teaching (+2 Druid).

While reflecting on these insights, she considers her former mentor's offer: "I think the best chance I have of helping my companions win this fight is to STAY IN the fight. And I've been getting knocked out a lot lately. Like, A LOT." Her pale, dirt-streaked face burns briefly crimson as she sheepishly asks for a Cloak of Displacement.
"Ahh, a wise choice, Onarra. I believe I have something that will suit." At that, Quirinseyru transforms into the shape of a human male with a young face but silvery hair and the unmistakable aura of age and wisdom. You all recognize Quirinseyru's human guise from your former lives.

Quirinseyru walks over to a large chest in the corner of the room. You have all seen smaller versions of this chest and have dubbed them "The Master's Chests". Quirinseyru lifts the lid, and rummages around a bit before pulling out a luxurious looking cloak of black velvet, trimmed with short black fur. There is a beautiful pattern of frost and stylized flowers. Quirinseyru presents the queenly gift to Onarra.

Tom, I'm emailing you the Cloak details.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

The PCs readied searched the nearby area of the Book for other helpful items, picking up some armor to replace the physical armor they had left with their bodies on top of the Warlock's Tower.

It didn't take long for the enemy to arrive: a substantial warband of Devils, led by a terrifying pit fiend. Quirinseyru thinned their ranks considerably and the PCs fought a pitched battle to clean up the rest, while the Pit Fiend concentrated on Quirinseyru. Seeing their betrayed mentor in dire straights, Quarion summoned the most potent divine power within him, flew up to the pit fiend and uttered a Holy Word.

The purity of one of the words of creation drove the pit fiend and remaining devils back to whichever hell they had come from, and the PCs were able to briefly celebrate their victory.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

For tomorrow's prep, those of you trapped in the Book of Infinite Souls should prepare a character sheet with all of your gear (that got left on the rooftop of the Warlock's Tower) PLUS the loot you have gotten inside of the Book. Just in case you escape the Book somehow .... :D