Episode 29: His Master's Voice

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Episode 29: His Master's Voice

Post by EvilGenius »

Where things stand:

Bannock is in the Donjon, a pocket dimensional prison for the Book of Infinite Souls. Bannock had one inconclusive skirmish with The Master, Valos, the green dragon, and is now moving to find and hopefully take control of the Book of Infinite Souls which is presumed to be in the Master's lair. There is a lone spire of rock in the middle of the Donjon, presumably the dragon's lair. Bannock is currently at an 'impenetrable' spiked hedge that seems to surround the base of the spire. There is no obvious way into the spire of rock.

The rest of the party is dead-ish, their souls trapped in the Book of Infinite Souls, which they have discovered is actually another pocket dimensional prison that appears to be a vast library of magical spells, items, and paraphernalia. There are (at least) two critical locations inside of the Book, the absorbed Well of the Worlds, which is inextricably linked to the PCs souls, and The Heart (the literal 'Heart of Darkness') which is a huge Sphere of Annihilation that powers the Books various abilities by destroying souls and magical items.

The PCs inside of the Book have just joined their former mentor, Quirinseyru, the silver dragon, in fighting off a large force of devils, led by a pit fiend, who were attempting to take control of The Heart. These devils served Mephistopheles, an Arch Duke of Hell, and ally to The Master, Valos. The PCs were joined by Awen, the freed soul that used to power Quirinseyru's Ring of Air Elemental Command. Awen is a female human arcane spellcaster of some sort.

The last the PCs knew, the other significant location in the Book, the Well of the Worlds, was controlled by the souls of The Master's lieutenants, led by Khrytos, the black dragonborn.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Re: Episode 29: His Master's Voice

Post by EvilGenius »

After the battle with the Pit Fiend, the interior of the Book was rocked by three small earthquakes. Each one of them caused a beam of energy to erupt from Quirinseyru and arc to the Heart. Each beam of energy sapped Quirinseyru's vitality more and more. The silver dragon looked at the PCs in alarm and explained, 'Valos is using the power of the Book! He is casting the Wish spell, which is tied to my vitality! But because the spell is bound to my soul, I have some insight into what he is doing. He is resurrecting his lieutenants to help him fight Bannock, in the Donjon. Bannock is in grave danger!"

The dragon takes a steadying breath. "I don't believe Valos fully understands the Book yet, though. Since the spell is bound to my soul, I, too, can cast it. Hurry! I will use Wish to resurrect all of you, too, to fight at Bannock's side against Valos and his minions!"

Quirinseyru concentrated for a moment then used Wish to resurrect Quarion, then Onarra. Before Quirinseyru completed the final spell though, Brigga took the opportunity to issue a formal dwarven apology for betraying and attacking her former patron. Quirinseyru grinned sheepishly (for a dragon) and somewhat awkwardly apologized to Brigga for slaying the entire party in a fit of rage. The two grinned and nodded their farewells and Quirinseyru used the magic bound to his soul to resurrect Brigga. As the spell was completing, Brigga saw that Quirinseyru had used the last of his spiritual energy, and his spiritual form thinned and elongated and was drawn into the Heart of Darkness, consumed utterly by the Book of Infinite Souls.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:38 am As the spell was completing, Brigga saw that Quirinseyru had used the last of his spiritual energy, and his spiritual form thinned and elongated and was drawn into the Heart of Darkness, consumed utterly by the Book of Infinite Souls.
Somewhere, after all of this is done, Brigga hefts a mug of ale in memory of Quirinseyru's noble end.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

The resurrected PCs found themselves in a clearing in the Donjon, next to Bannock, facing an impenetrable spiked hedge surrounding the base of the single spire.

After some investigation, the PCs discovered that the spiked hedge was about a mile deep and ringed the lone spire of rock, as far as they could tell. Quarion also discovered a clearing of some kind in the middle of the hedge nearby which turned out to be a small lake. There were also a few caves in the face of the spire.

Quarion and Onarra flew to the cave entrances and found inside that there was some sort of mysterious waterfall inside of the spire, but that it flowed upwards, against gravity. They decided not to investigate further and returned to Bannock and Brigga.

Seeing no better options to get through the dangerous hedge, the party simply started burning their way through. It took time, but they were able to burn a path directly through to the spire. However, once there, they decided not to investigate the spire further, and instead investigate the small lake inside of the hedge, reasoning that green dragons are amphibious, so Valos's lair may be down instead of up.

The PCs found the lake funneled down to a straight shaft that led deep below the surface. The PCs investigated the shaft, eventually emerging on the other side of it into some kind of deep reservoir, with a fairly consistent ceiling of rock above them all around. It was as though they had emerged from the bottom of the world.

Lacking any other direction, Bannock pointed them toward where the underside of the rock spire would be and the PCs made their way toward it. Soon, they could feel a strong current leading to a much larger shaft in the ceiling of rock. Everyone wisely stayed out of the current and made their way around the opening, where they discovered a second opening a little further away, with a strong current of water flowing down. Brigga determined that the water was fouler at the downspout than the uptake and reasoned that it was probably closer to the dragon's lair. The PCs decided to swim up the downspout.

About a hundred feet up, the PCs found a large cavern opening in the side of the downspout, where the water was quite foul. Entering the cavern led the PCs into a damp cave complex, which was strangely empty except for a channel of brackish water and another mysterious upward flowing spout of water.

At this point, the PCs began to suffer some sort of elemental attacks as large fists of water shot out of the pool near the water spout, slamming into the PCs and knocking them around some. Bannock took several strong blows and was then pulled back into the water and into the water spout, disappearing into an opening in the ceiling. The rest of the party cursed and jumped into the pool to be sucked up the water spout after Bannock.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

The PCs surfaced on the top level of the cavern complex in a large pool. Onarra quickly swam over to Bannock, who was being kept afloat by Shadow, and the two of them pulled the burly ranger's unconscious form out of the pool, onto the cavern floor. Quarion and Brigga also bobbed to the top of the pool and swam over to join Onarra.

Before they could administer aid to the fallen ranger, Khrytos and Balrakas menacingly stepped out of the shadows toward the PCs, unleashing a preliminary magical barrage. The PCs rushed to meet their longtime foes, meeting them in furious melee combat. While thus engaged, a huge draconic form emerged from the darkness on the other side of the cavern, unleashing a blistering lightning barrage against the PCs.

Shaking off some of the damage from Valos' breathweapon, Brigga heard a faint, mocking laughter echoing in the cavern. Brigga quickly searched the surroundings, spotting the cackling form of the Oracle. Her attention quickly shifted back to the huge draconic form charging her and hastily summoned Bigby's Interposing Hand to shield her from getting overrun by the dragon.

Time seemed to slow for the PCs as a familiar voice sounded in their minds. "Heh HAAA!! Ohhh, i think my former partners are finally at their end. Heh. Glad I am to see it." Brigga shot back, telepathically "Some partner you are! How about lending a hand?" "Ohhh, NightLight broke that pact when he slew me on top of the Warlock's Tower!" The Oracle's anger and disdain clearly bled through the telepathic contact.

"However, if you fall, the dragon will be freed upon Oerth in full control of the Book. Heh. I don't think I'll continue to be highly esteemed. HaaaaaaaHeh! I can help you against Valos. Yes, yes I can! Heh!!

BUT! You must agree to get me out of the Donjon safely, AND I want Brigga's word of honor that I'm a full partner in sharing the Book!"

A chorus of objections rose from the PCs which were quickly silenced by another lightning breath attack from Valos, and solid melee hits from Balrakas and Khrytos.

"Heh. Chose quickly. I can help you. Or I can fully throw in with the dragon and seal your fate."

Brigga's frustrated growl was evident through the telepathic link as confirmed, "Fine! Full partners. You have my word of honor."

Brigga raised a hand defensively as Valos tore through her Bigby's Hand spell. "Now would be a good time, Oracle!"

Valos' head whipped around to the misshapen form of the Oracle, staring into the single, huge eye. "Don't you dare cross me, abomination! You will suffer an eternity of ...."

Valos' last threat was cut off as the Oracle reached into the bunched up bag on his belt and withdrew a slender birdcage. With a slight pop, the top cage pulled free of the bottom and the Oracle threw the wire bars at the dragon. The cage immediately began to glow and expand, fully surrounding the dragon, then swiftly contracting into a ball of glowing bars slightly larger than a large apple. Within the glowing cage the PCs could see the tiny form of Valos, futilely thrashing against the bars.

The glowing cage shot back to the Oracle who joined it to the base once more, causing it to revert to it's ornate birdcage appearance, still with the tiny dragon imprisoned within.

"Heh. Prisons in prisons in prisons! HaHAAA!!! Ooo, watch out!"

Khrytos and Balrakas renewed their furious assaults on the PCs but without Valos assisting them, the two soon fell in combat, leaving the PCs victorious, but at a crossroads as to what comes next .....
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

So the PCs are now in Valos' lair within the Donjon. Valos is captured in the Prison of Zagig. They have renewed their partnership with the Oracle, with Brigga's word of honor. Khrytos and Balrakas have been slain (again). And most importantly, the PCs have recovered the Book of Infinite Souls.

There has been some discussion about what to do next. In order to get out of the Donjon, the Book will need to be fed to capacity, and the PCs will need to use their connection to the Well of the Worlds (absorbed into the Book of Infinite Souls) to open a portal back to the Warlock's Tower. You are bound by your pact with the Oracle to take him safely back out of the Donjon and treat him as a full partner, with a full partner's claim on the Book of Infinite Souls.

Everyone, please weigh in here on your situation. Specifically, the following:

1) there was initial talk of leaving the Book in the Donjon, but someone pointed out that Valos got into the Donjon, and now the knowledge of how to safely bypass the Donjon has been found and is known. Leaving the Book in the Donjon may be safe in the short term but it seems possible that someone will find out how to recover it.

2) How is it going to work to be full partners with the Oracle?

3) What are you going to do with Valos?
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock's suggestion would be to do what is necessary to get back out into the real world with both the Book and the dragon still in the cage.

Then, perhaps it would be best to seek out someone more powerful to hand both the Book and the caged dragon over to. It would be better if none of us had control over the Book or the dragon in the cage. And, though the Oracle will object, if we are all equal partners, we can certainly out vote him on what we should all decide to do with the objects.

Perhaps there is a particular church or government or organization that would better be able to safeguard these evils. The main Church of Pelor, The Circle of Eight, etc. (And, as it is Greyhawk and maybe an all-powerful group like this doesn't exist, perhaps it should, and does in this continuity.)

Anyway, that is what Bannock suggests.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Onarra isn't so sure that there's a way to walk away from this one. From what she has seen - from the Well of the Worlds to the Donjon, and having "lived" more than one life and fought for both sides of the conflict surrounding this Book - stewardship is the only option to prevent more magical perversions.

"The Oracle is an unknown party, which our dealings with him have only reinforced. Even should we find an individual or group capable of containing this relic, such a threat is never truly neutralized. Nothing can stop those who seek it with zeal." Onarra regards the Oracle as she speaks. "Either the Friends of Farweald take him on as a new member, or some of us remain with him. Either way, the Book never leaves our possession and our partnership ensures it is never used again. Let the gods intervene if they see fit to intercede, else it's left to mortals again to preserve balance."
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Over on Facebook, Bob wrote:
There was talk of leaving the dragon in the prison of Zagig or feeding him into the Book. If you feed him into the Book, you guys could go in after him (without having to kill yourselves first) by using the Well of the Worlds.

And feed him into the Sphere of Annihilation

And you have some allies still inside the Book. Like Awen, who used to be Jim’s Ring of Air Elemental Control.

And Gwendolyn and Leigha, who were going to make an appearance in the fight against the pit fiend but Quarion Holy Worded him away too quickly...

So that’s an option. Rest, prepare, put Valos in the Book, then go in after him.
Meanwhile, Bannock suggested leaving the Donjon, finding some powerful guardians on Oerth, and giving the book to them for safe keeping.

Brigga will say:

"Respectfully Bannock, while I understand your motivation, I agree with Onnara ... we know the book and the threat it poses. Whether we like it or not, it has become our responsibility. I propose that the Friends of Farweal should become the Fellowship of the Book, and swear to protect it from threats prime and extraplanar. It is we who are best positioned to protect the tome; after all, the Circle of Eight has seen traitors in its ranks before, and their loyalty to "balance" and "neutrality" worries me.

"As for threats to the book, it is clear that the dragon remains the greatest one. By its will and actions, it's clear this creature seeks only power and domination. It should be slain; returning to the book, defeating the dragon, and allowing it to be consumed by the Sphere of Annihilation would eliminate that threat once and for all."

"As for the Oracle, if we are truly equal partners, then each of us has a vote. He's free to propose uses of the book. And we are free to reject them."
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

In terms of organizations in Greyhawk that might steward the Book of Infinite Spells, I imagine the Church of Rao might be one. Or seeking out cleric/wizards of Boccob or Wee Jas, who obviously cared enough to play a role in hiding it away in the first place. Taking a page from our own campaign, the Obsidian Tower (which we've established as an interplanar agency) is another potential steward, assuming it still exists.

My take on the Circle of Eight is that the wizards who comprise are too individualistic, with too many personal agendas, to make good guardians of the book. They're more about trying to maintain a certain power balance in the Flanaess; I think they'd be more likely to use the Book to that end than to protect it.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:38 pm In terms of organizations in Greyhawk that might steward the Book of Infinite Spells, I imagine the Church of Rao might be one. Or seeking out cleric/wizards of Boccob or Wee Jas, who obviously cared enough to play a role in hiding it away in the first place. Taking a page from our own campaign, the Obsidian Tower (which we've established as an interplanar agency) is another potential steward, assuming it still exists.

My take on the Circle of Eight is that the wizards who comprise are too individualistic, with too many personal agendas, to make good guardians of the book. They're more about trying to maintain a certain power balance in the Flanaess; I think they'd be more likely to use the Book to that end than to protect it.
I agree with this and would add that, while you can make whichever decision you want, and there are other organizations (Wizard's College in Greyhawk, the Silent Ones of Keoland, the elven nation of Celene maybe) there is always secrecy to consider. Right now, the people who know most about the Book are either a) all dead (the Fire Lord, Hravja, Krytos, Balrakas, Erk, your former companions: Jareth, Balisar, Mordai, Naziah, Gwendolyn, her sister Leigha), b) the four of you, or c) your still living allies: Thulik, the Oracle, and to an extent, Meitte.

And you have in your possession most if not all of the recorded research about the Book (Esoterica Pneuma, and the collected journal and legends from the Fire Lord). And you've recovered the only current means of feeding the Book, the Helm of Infinity (recovered in the Warlock's Tower).

Becoming the Fellowship of the Book will also protect YOU from becoming either a) loose ends in someone else's Plan For Ultimate Power, or b) a target for information gathering in someone else's Plan To Thwart Someone's Plan for Ultimate Power ....
Last edited by EvilGenius on Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

From a meta-perspective, I like the idea of a final confrontation with the Master; to me, it feels like a fight that should happen. :)

In addition, I like the idea of the Fellowship of the Book as a launching off point for high-level adventuring, should we choose to do it. Create our own pocket dimension (or maybe figure out a way to control the Donjon?). Establish high-level allies throughout the planescape to aid us in defending the Book. Rebuilding our personal fortresses, etc.

Reaching the "end" of a campaign isn't something we do that often, so it'd be cool to come to a definitive end ... but set up the possibility for an epilogue or a follow-up adventure at Nuke(m)Con.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:30 am From a meta-perspective, I like the idea of a final confrontation with the Master; to me, it feels like a fight that should happen. :)

In addition, I like the idea of the Fellowship of the Book as a launching off point for high-level adventuring, should we choose to do it. Create our own pocket dimension (or maybe figure out a way to control the Donjon?). Establish high-level allies throughout the planescape to aid us in defending the Book. Rebuilding our personal fortresses, etc.

Reaching the "end" of a campaign isn't something we do that often, so it'd be cool to come to a definitive end ... but set up the possibility for an epilogue or a follow-up adventure at Nuke(m)Con.
Oh, I have plans for future follow ups .... :D
Upweekis

Post by Upweekis »

Quarion agrees that no one else can be trusted with the book and that a Fellowship of the Book is the only reasonable answer. He believes that feeding the caged dragon to the book is the way to go. But thinks we should probably free Awen make sure there isn't anyone left in there that could free the dragon.
Last edited by Upweekis on Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock will reluctantly concede the points the rest of the party makes.

However, he will express that he is loathe to enter the book, and wants nothing to do with fighting the dragon again, if at all possible. He'd much prefer to get back to the real world and put all of this as far behind them as possible.

"Can't we just seal the book and the cage (with the dragon in it) in concrete and bury it somewhere hidden?"

For him, he longs for nothing more than putting this adventuring behind him and rejoining the church.

He will of course help the party whatever is decided. But, as is perhaps his dominant trait, he won't be happy about it.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost