Heart of Darkness: Homecoming

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Heart of Darkness: Homecoming

Post by EvilGenius »

You step out of the Portal back onto the top of the Warlock's Tower, open to the lazily undulating ribbons of light above, somewhat masking the twinkling stars beyond. Leigha is there waiting for you, excited and happy to be back. She is standing next to the Book of Infinite Souls, which you just now realize did not accompany you on a journey into its own interior, waiting for your return here, instead.

You take stock briefly and Bannock strides over to pick up the Book, holding it forth and examining it as though he was examining a dangerous animal. A clear and powerful voice rings out from behind you. "You've held up your end of the bargain, now I believe I have a task to complete, too." You all turn to see Boccob once again standing with you. He traces a glowing rune which hangs in the air before him then shoots to the Book and seems to be absorbed through the front cover. Boccob looks past you toward the spot where Wee Jas stood before. "There you go. Our new compact is agreed upon." You sense rather than see Boccob's departure.

The Book of Infinite Souls gains the following property:
Multiple Attunements - Up to 5 creatures can attune to the Book of Infinite Souls at a time. Each attuned creature will gain the use of one of the Book's spell slots. If only 1 creature attunes to the Book, that creature can use all five available slots, but if more than one creature attunes, then each attuned creature may only access one of the Book's spell slots (potentially leaving several unused slots).
Last edited by EvilGenius on Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Re: Heart of Darkness: Homecoming

Post by EvilGenius »

Finally free of Gods and Dragons, you all concentrate one more time and open a portal on top of the Warlock's Tower. Through it you see the rebuilt walls of Farweald, covered with a nice layer of snow. The Oracle eyes the portal and says, "Little Farweald. HAHAHaaa, heh! Seems a little worse for the wear, heh? HehHEH! Mmmmm, stay here, I think I will. Many secrets left in this Tower, I think. Plus, nicer home than my former secret lair! Hahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!! Heh. Upgrade! Ok, stay in touch, bye bye!"

You are all too weary right now to object to the Oracle claiming the Warlock's Tower. Time later to negotiate such things. You turn back to the glowing Soul Portal, then step through it and emerge in front of the North Gate of Farweald. The Portal closes behind you.

The Gate is open, and you see people bustling around inside of the town. The sound of construction from inside of the town promises new homes and businesses as Farweald continues to rebuild from the catastrophic Day of Fire. You enter the gates with a sense of relief.

People notice you coming in and call out greetings to you, stopping their tasks to wave happily. Nearby you see Constable Tierney, a big grin on his face as he approaches you. After warm greetings between you all he notices Leigha standing a bit behind you, as she pulls down the hood of her cloak. "Is that ... Leigha Pelland?? By the Gods, you've actually done it! You brought back Farweald's 'missing girl'!" You all share a rueful laugh and Constable Tierney responds to Leigha's confused look. "These 'adventurers' here showed up the night you went missing from Farweald and we engaged them to find you and bring you back. We didn't know that you'd left of your own free will at the time."

Brigga interrupted, "so now I think you owe us our 50gp, Constable! Come, come! Pay up! Also, a meal wouldn't be amiss. Lead on, man, before it starts snowing again!"

Tierney laughs and starts to walk with you further into town. "I'll see what we can scrounge up, Mistress. There's a new Inn under construction that serves pretty good food. It's going to replace the Gaming House. Your friend, Thulik, owns it. Best bread I think I've ever tasted!

Oh, and you'll probably run into the new adventurers in town there, too. They seem a little green, to me. Wanted to know about any interesting locations nearby. Figure maybe you guys can direct them somewhere befitting their capabilities?"

You follow Constable Tierney toward Thulik's new Inn right off of the Central Market, happy to turn your attention back to the little details of daily life in a small town, nestled in the big forest.

Fini
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!