Chapter 14: Seeking the Dire Downs

Adventures in the early days of Obsidian Bay.
NukeHavoc

Chapter 14: Seeking the Dire Downs

Post by NukeHavoc »

The saga for our latest adventure is up:

http://wiki.griffcrier.com/index.php?ti ... Dire_Downs

I may have gotten the chronology of some things wrong (I was largely winging it thanks to the effects of the Bag of Beans) but covers the highlights.

XP

Burgell Nackle: 2000 xp
Finn Underbow: 2000 xp
Tänévir Calywyn: 2000 xp

Treasure

Mantis: (iron short sword, requires attunement). An ancient iron short sword crafted by Flan shaman as a weapon against a specific threat: green dragons. The blade has a ragged, serrated edge reminiscent of a insectile claw; the metal itself has a strange greenish hue. The pummel is a multifaceted emerald, while the hilt of the blade is made from a green, reptilian skin.

Its wielder gains +1 to attack and damage roles made with this weapon. Against draconic creatures (including wyverns and dragon turtles) it does an additional 1d6 points of damage. Against green dragons, it does 3d6 points of damage.

Mantis is an intelligent weapon that seeks the death of dragons, but green dragons in particular. It has a low, insectile cunning, and speaks telepathically through a series of clicks and clacks, usually representing one word concepts (click-clack "eat" click-clack "hide"). It can communicate with others through the use of pheromones -- these radiate emotions like "anger" or "hunger".

* Abilities: Intelligence: 7, Wisdom: 6, Charisma: 12
* Languages: Common, Fey (speak, read, understand)
* Senses: Hearing and darkvision out to 120 feet.
* Special Purpose: Bane -- Mantis seeks to defeat green dragons
* Alignment: Chaotic Neutral (the sword cares nothing for the laws of men and elf; it seeks only the destruction of dragons.
* Creator: The ancient Flan.

Bag of Tricks (Grey) (fey; the bag flows with a pale radiance in moonlight, shedding dim light in a 5-radius. When an animal is drawn from the bag, the user can hear the faint sounds of laughter and otherworldly music. The animals drawn from the bag share its luminescence for 1d4 minutes after they emerge from the bag.

Eyes of the Eagle: (celestial, requires attunement) when worn they transform the wearer's eye color to a striking gold.

Staff of the Python (metamorphic; slowly coils and twists while held or not watched, requires attunement by a cleric, druid, or warlock)

Delinger's Crossbow (requires attunement) This magical crossbow -- wielded the famed dragon hunter Delinger -- grants +1 to attack and damage. Once per day (renewed at dawn) the weapon allows the wielder to use *Ensnaring Strike* as a bonus action.

Coins

* 800 Copper
* 5,000 Silver
* 1,900 Gold
* 140 Platinum
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Re: Chapter 14: Seeking the Dire Downs

Post by setanta14 »

"Hmmm, this is a nice sword!" sayeth Tänevír
NukeHavoc

Re: Chapter 14: Seeking the Dire Downs

Post by NukeHavoc »

Am I right that Finn took the Bag of Tricks (Grey) and that the Staff of the Python is unclaimed (as no one in the party can attune to it because it requires a druid, cleric, or warlock?)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange