Paths to ADVENTURE!

Adventures in the early days of Obsidian Bay.

What shall the Librarians do next?

The Tomb of the Scorpion Prince
40%
The Fire Giant's Pyre
No votes
The Aperture of Zalshox
No votes
The Wyvern Empire
No votes
The Tomb of Telan
60%

Total votes: 5

NukeHavoc

Paths to ADVENTURE!

Post by NukeHavoc »

Here's a summary of the major destinations / stories that the party has been talking about.

The Tomb of the Scorpion Prince: The sole heir to King Shattados], the Scorpion Prince ruled the southeastern reaches of the Bright Desert in -700 CY. He fell with the rest of his kingdom when his father attempted to use the Scorpion Crown to achieve absolute dominion over his kingdom … and failed. The monstrous prince attempted to carve out his own empire after his father's fall, but was defeated by an alliance of Flan and Suel tribesmen. They hid him away in a tomb meant to hold him for all time … and with a fortune in treasure that he'd plundered (the superstitious tribesmen wanting nothing to do with it).

The Fire Giant's Pyre: King Alothor, a notable fire giant king who died 250 years ago, once unified several of the warring fire giant tribes in the Drachensgrabs. When he died fighting a red dragon, his sons — in one last act of respect before falling into fighting amongst themselves — created the Pyre, a sort of tomb nestled in the still-warm depths of the crumbling mountains. The King was buried with his weapons, his loot, and several of his wives (noble giantesses who guard him in the afterlife).

The Aperture of Zalshox: The lair of Zalshox, a beholder cast out from the City of Eyes, is located in the southern hills of the Pomarj. Rumor has it he's bred a small army of hobgoblin servants slavishly loyal to him. The beholder has lived for centuries, and is believed to have taken a sizable amount of treasure out of the Obsidian Maze when he fled it.

The Wyvern Empire: General Kor is still out there, assembling his Hextorite followers, awakening Ironbound Warriors (aka reinforced flesh golems), and bringing order to the chaotic lands of the Pomarj.

The Tomb of Telan: Final resting place of the flan hero Telan and ancestor of Hegil Tfinnan, the Tomb is believed to hold the Ghostbane Scrolls. The Scrolls are a bardic epic that recounts Telan's battles with an ancient Nerullite cult that worshipped the demi-lich Charax.

Charax was charged with defending the final portal to the Fading Land of Necros, a lich-ruled demiplane dominated by the undead. His phylactery, the Crystal Skull of Charax, was shattered by Telan at the culmination of the heroe's battle with the Nerullite cult.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Re: Paths to ADVENTURE!

Post by setanta14 »

I voted Tomb of the Scorpion Prince.

If we accompany Gremorly by sea across the Sea of Gearnat and into Relmor Bay (to guard against pirate-types) and drop him off in a friendly Nyrondese port (probably Oldred, as there is a major road leading straight to Rel Mord where the University Temple of Delleb is located), we can then sail to the small port town of Darkshelf (described in the A0-A4 compilation) which is still in Nyrond to use as a civilized base of operations since it is only a short distance from the southeastern Bright Desert (Old Ithar, ruins of Sennerae) where the Tomb allegedly lies.

This way we can scratch off the adventure lead that was farthest away, and potentially gain resources which will assist us in the other ones.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Darkshelf: (on the west coast of the small peninsula formed by the mouth of the Nesser River south of the Gnatmarsh)
The coast around Darkshelf rises quickly to a series of bluffs that are mostly covered in forest. Near the village, the land lies fairly low, and the countryside has been cleared for farming. Farther inland, the bluffs and the trees rise. Just west of the village, the Pelyra River flows into the Sea of Gearnat.

A quarry located a half-mile from the village of Darkshelf (so named for the dark, stony seabed in the harbor), on the coast of the Sea of Gearnat in Nyrond, has been producing modest amounts of granite and limestone for decades. A surface outcrop of granite was quickly exhausted, but workers tunneled under the surrounding hills to extract more stone. As they moved farther beneath the hills, they discovered seams of flawless limestone. Today, the quarry is producing more stone than ever. A small, dedicated workforce toils in three shifts around the clock. A steady flow of oxcarts hauls rough blocks of varying size from the quarry to the docks at Darkshelf. From there, the stone goes to building sites up and down the coast or into the continental interior via river barges.
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

As of now, I won't be joining tonight. My friend and cousin are involved in a show and tonight is the final performance, 6pm.
Although Zaphrym is voting for Telan because the idea of ghost scrolls and fascinating genealogy is like crack to him, I'd say pull my vote since I'm not participating. Zap can spend this adventure reading books in the BoH, or conversing with Telan's heir.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Damon's voting for the Tomb of Telan, so we'll go there next.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Hawkwind will utilize his two allied contacts from successful carousing towards finding people familiar with the Drachensgrabs. Being a Flan native of the Pomarj, he likely would try to find refugee members of other Flan hill tribes with useful information.

Also, it's basically an open secret that the old "King" Olarek the Mad had a hidden base of operations of some sort somewhere in the mountains before he rode out to his doom to fight the invading humanoids. Perhaps some remnant of this [*cough* Suderham] remains, and could be useful in our quest for the Tomb of Telan.