Squinty's Supplies

The Obsidian Bay campaign.
Hardcorhobbs

Squinty's Supplies

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

In order to flush out Seamus's background, and give him a place to stay for a bit here is a new business I propose for the warf district of OB. Feel free to comment/criticize.

Squinty's Supplies

Luca Meyer loved boats all his life. When he grew up, he signed on a fishing boat as part of the crew. Unfortunately, his poor eye site kept him from ever moving past a deck-hand. He tried very hard to move into another position, but his one chance in the crow's nest he missed spotting the rocks, causing the ship to crash. After getting kicked off the boat, he went to work in the shipyard warehouses. There he found he had a knack for numbers. Today, he owns his own warehouse where he supplies to local fishermen.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Nice -- I like Seamus having a place to go to sell his wares. We can stick him in the wharf district. Better watch it though; if he sells "mundane" equipment, Scrappy might have to take him out... :)

We should come up with a tavern down in the docks frequented by fishermen and related tradesmen.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I see this as more of a fishing supplier. He might have contacts to move other goods (perhaps even scrappy) but he deals mostly in fishing goods: Nets, rope, spears, poles, cages, some boating supplies, etc. Also perhaps a middle-man for moving some of the fish into the city.

Should Squinty belong to the Longshoresmen guild? Seems most appropriate to me.

Tavern: The Falling Fillet.
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote:Nice -- I like Seamus having a place to go to sell his wares. We can stick him in the wharf district. Better watch it though; if he sells "mundane" equipment, Scrappy might have to take him out... :)
Hmm - competition for Scrappy. Are you sure this Squinty guy isn't a shadow demon? I think I'll send Erilar down to check this guy out... ;D
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I posted Squinty and Squinty's supplies. Feel free to edit as needed. Does he need stats, or is it something we really dont need to worry about?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

An abbreviated statblock (gender, class, principal skills or feats) is useful when you're DMing. e.g.

Squinty, Human Male, Commoner 1, Skills: Spot -2, Profession (Shopkeeper) +4, Diplomacy +2, Sense Motive +2

just enough to give the DM something to hang an encounter on. Of course, if you want to stat him out in heroforge and post that statblock from there, that's fine too. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

What kind of stats should I use for Squinty?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:What kind of stats should I use for Squinty?
Whatever you think works, but 15 points is probably ok.

Heh, looking at the DMG, I see our point buy inflation for player characters is really getting up there; standard is 25 for PCs, 28 is a "tougher" campaign, 32 is a "high-powered campaign. We're at 30 now. :)
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

My original impulse for 30 points was that at the time it split the difference between Living City and Living Greyhawk. I much prefer rolling for stats (I like what we've been using for Geroge/Mark's game of 5d6 drop lowest 2 rolls).
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Squinty: Male Human Exp3; CR 3;
Medium Humanoid (Human);
HD 3d6+3; hp 17;
Init -1; Spd 30 ft/x4;
AC 9 (-1 dex), touch 9, flat-footed 9;
Base Atk/Grapple +2/+2;
AL LG; SV Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +3;
Str 10(+0), Dex 8(-1), Con 12(+1), Int 12(+1), Wis 11(+0), Cha 10(+0);
Skills: Appraise +9, Balance +3, Diplomacy +10, Knowledge (history) +5,
Knowledge (local) +7, Profession (Sailor) +2, Profession (Shopkeeper) +9,
Sense Motive +8, Swim +4, Use Rope +3.
Feats: Diligent, Negotiator, Skill Focus (Profession (Shopkeeper)).
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:My original impulse for 30 points was that at the time it split the difference between Living City and Living Greyhawk. I much prefer rolling for stats (I like what we've been using for Geroge/Mark's game of 5d6 drop lowest 2 rolls).
I think Wesley pretty much kept the group from ever doing rolled stats again. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Wesley will be back in 4th edition - as a BARD! :D
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

While I prefer rolling stats as well, the problem is that characters themselves can become quickly unbalanced. We didn't have a "Wesley", we had a half-orc who would cleave things in one hit... but if I bumped up the encounter the party became overwhelmed.

Then again... when rolling stats there is a rule in the 3.5 phb for re-rolls. Thats most likely why we never had a "Wesley". I always did 4d6 drop lowest, "best" of two sets. Re-roll if both were below PHB level.