Some Background Questions

The Obsidian Bay campaign.
erilar

Some Background Questions

Post by erilar »

Didn't Nate's noble character (Vargas?) study under a shadow mage tutor? What was that wizard's name?

We were discussing the Greyhawk equivalent to Paizo's Droskar, the dark dwarven god of endless toil and subservience. Who was the Greyhawk version?

PS - couldn't work on XP over lunch because Asbury's intertubes were down (someone forgot to feed the squirrel).
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Re: Some Background Questions

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

erilar wrote:Didn't Nate's noble character (Vargas?) study under a shadow mage tutor? What was that wizard's name?
Saheed Darksteel, found at the Dark City Primer.
erilar

Post by erilar »

erilar wrote: We were discussing the Greyhawk equivalent to Paizo's Droskar, the dark dwarven god of endless toil and subservience. Who was the Greyhawk version?
Bump
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote: We were discussing the Greyhawk equivalent to Paizo's Droskar, the dark dwarven god of endless toil and subservience. Who was the Greyhawk version?
I was hoping Bob would take this one, seeing as how he's our dwarven expert, but he's likely still caughtup in the move.

We haven't had many dealings with evil dwarven gods, so I can't quickly think of an answer to your question. Here's what Wikipedia has to say on the subject of dwarven gods in Greyhawk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greyhawk_deities
Greater Gods
* Moradin, god of dwarves

Intermediate Gods
* Abbathor, god of greed
* Berronar Truesilver, goddess of safety, truth, home and healing
* Clanggedin Silverbeard, god of battle and war
* Dumathoin, god of exploration and mining
* Vergadain, god of wealth and luck
* Laduguer, god of duergar dwarves

Lesser Gods
* Dugmaren Brightmantle, god of scholarship, discovery and invention
* Muamman Duathal, god of expatriates, urban dwarves, travellers and exiles

Hero Gods
* Gendwar Argrim, dwarven hero-god of fatalism and obsession
Of these, Laduguer, god of duergar dwarves, seems the best fit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laduguer
Laduguer appears as a tall, gaunt duergar with skin that can change between gray and brown to match the nearby rock. He is bald and perptually frowning. He is inclined toward evil, but this is mostly turned inward, gloomy and unforgiving over what he feels is his rejection by his kin. He is supremely lawful above all else, despising the other dwarven deities for being lazy, indolent, and feckless.
The Taskmaster was once a member of the Morndinsamman, or dwarven pantheon, but he exiled himself over a point of honor. His only ally is Grumbar, the Boss of the Earth Elementals. His list of enemies, on the other hand, is long, including Blibdoolpoolp, the Blood Queen, Callarduran Smoothhands, Diinkarazan, Diirinka, the Great Mother, Gzemnid, Ilsensine, Ilxendren, Laogzed, Maanzecorian (dead), Orcus, Psilofyr, Urdlen, the drow pantheon, and every member of the dwarven pantheon, except for Dugmaren Brightmantle.

He was briefly allied with Lolth, and from this alliance he gained the knowledge that provided his people with their giant spider mounts, the steeders. As the drow and duergar fought for resources and territory, however, the alliance shattered, and Lolth and Laduguer became foes.
That having been said, if Bob can't think of a better fit, we could just import this god into the setting as is. He could simply be a lesser known dwarven god, being worshipped by evil hill/mountain dwarves and their cousins the duergar.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Yep - Laduguer is the one Bob had recommended, and I can see a twisted version of his dogma being an ideal replacement for Paizo's Droskar.

The dwarves' civilization was floundering, and Laduguer catches the ear of some desperate priests, perverting the productive-forge preachings of Moradin to that of endless toil and unflinching obedience in a vain effort to reverse the downslide of dwarven prosperity. That'll work.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hey guys, sorry I didn't see this last week. It was pretty hectic and the bb was doing that thing where it doesn't always show you new threads when you log in. (btw, I think that problem has to do with logging in from multiple machines. Log in on my phone, i see the new thread marker. log in later from a different machine without logging out from the phone first and i no longer see the new thread marker).

Laduguer is definitely the best fit for Droskar. Oh, and Laduguer is the main god of the dueregar.