Speaking of new Dark City characters...

The Obsidian Bay campaign.
Jonkga

Speaking of new Dark City characters...

Post by Jonkga »

Many of us need new Dark City B Team characters (I for one am fine with the A and B Team designations).

What are we doing for these characters? New First level guys? Or are we starting them higher?
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I believe the plan is to play "A-team" for a bit before returning to the "B-team". Though that shouldn't stop us from pre-campaign character prep. :-) Not sure what level the surving B-teamers are, but I'd suspect mostly 2nd putting us at new first levels?

I'm thinking either a Barbarian who's going to prove he's a hero come hell or high water. Or a gnome (no backstory yet).
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Or a gnome.
shyah right. gnomes aren't even a core race anymore. :P
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Oooh! Maybe I'll revisit Lyvanlion! Elven Holy Avenger (in-training) of COrellion!

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Lars Porsenna wrote:Oooh! Maybe I'll revisit Lyvanlion! Elven Holy Avenger (in-training) of COrellion!
And, since Zil is gone (again) and we've set the precedent, you could make him the crazy sword guy version of Lyvanlion from another plane and give him all sorts of broken 4E abilities. ;)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Me, I'm thinking a fighter/sorcerer.

Or, maybe a halfling battle cleric.

We'll see. :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Save the gnome, save D&D!
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

So, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level characters?
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Well, since Lyvanlion was never really officially introduced to the campaign, he doesn't HAVE to be from another dimension...

Jon, I'd definitely go with the crazy Halfling cleric. I don't recall you ever playing clerics, and as far as fleshing out OB, I'd be very surprised if there isn't substantial halfling populations...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:So, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level characters?
I say 2nd.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

I'm going with a neutral human ranger/rogue... perhaps an aspiring Nightsearcher... perhaps not... depends on how he is influenced by events.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'm thinking wizard; the party doesn't have one, and that's part of the reason THAT WE DIED last time. He'd be looking to join the Wizards guild, and perhaps an adventuring guild as well.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Lars Porsenna wrote:Jon, I'd definitely go with the crazy Halfling cleric. I don't recall you ever playing clerics, and as far as fleshing out OB, I'd be very surprised if there isn't substantial halfling populations...
Well, I said he'd be a battle cleric, not crqazy, so I'm not sure where you got that. ;)

And, the fighter/sorcerer is much more up my alley (see my rogue/sorcerer Fonteyn, my bard Melchior, etc., etc.).

So, I think I will go with the halfling battle cleric. I'll do a write-up later.

As far as halfling populations, IIRC, when fleshing out Fonteyn's backstory, I looked into this, and there didn't seem to be a halfling version of the dwarves Irontown in OB, more like a small percentage of halflings sprinkled throughout the city. I'm thinking of creating an influx of halflings settling into one of the new quarters, probably adventurers, to help establish this new character's backstory, so I'll run those ideas by you guys when his backstory arrives.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Should be interesting Jon. We haven't done much of anything with halflings in Obsidian Bay, save to say there aren't many of them. I envision this as being a historical thing; humans have always been here, as well as sizable portions of gnomes and dwarves, all three of which saw their numbers increasing when it was annexed as part of Keoland, and became "The Poor March" under the administration of the Principality of Ulek and its dwarven prince.

The Pomarj always struck me as being a little too wild for halfling populations (going with the more sedate, farming-oriented halflings) but I'd call it a historical quirk that we don't see more of their urban cousins.

With the rise of the Domain of Obsidian Bay, the concerted efforts to protecting farming settlements, and the general lack of halflings in the city, it seems to me like a good time to introduce a bunch!

Great character idea, and -- IMHO -- very keeping with what we're trying to do with Dark City.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

It's very cool Jon. Makes me miss Willard Thisslebottom, Professional Caravan Guard! :wink: