Speaking of new characters, monks...

The Obsidian Bay campaign.
Hardcorhobbs

Speaking of new characters, monks...

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Poor Naru never got a chance, so I'm thinking of giving it another go at monks. But, I'd like to hear what everyone's vision of a monk orders in Geyhawk. I know there are three deities that they follow... but would an order fit in OB? Well, Zodal is already there, so I could do that. But I thought it would be cool to bring in some sort of school/order. Donno, what are your thoughts.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

You could bring the monks of the Two Fold Path into our campaign. They follow the brother gods of Celestian and Farlanghan.

Some info my friend Mike Schliegh wrote up about the order (which he created for the living greyhawk campaign):

Two Fold Path

Heraldry: Argent, Interlocking Symbols of Fharlanghan & Celestian
Motto: It is not the destination, but the path

Keoland has very few monasteries in its region, even fewer monks that travel from them. The most popular adventuring monks in the area are the members of the Two Fold Path. A group of missionaries that protect travelers, maintain religious shrines and spread information about the goings-on in the Flanaess. Even though this organization is fairly recent it has had an increasing membership for nearly 5 years recruiting members through all walks of life. The various mantras and fables used in this organization teach the members that the end of the trip is not the goal, but how one gets there; Charity isn’t something one does on a whim, but should be practiced often; to help a fellow traveler reach their destination, isn’t out of the way, but a road that should be traveled. Very rarely these monks travel alone, as they prefer to be in the company of others, acting as guides, guards, mentors or entertainers.

Followers can be found on any road in Keoland let alone anywhere in the Flanaess

Two Fold Path Organization Levels
* Pupils are the members who have just been introduced to the Two-Fold Path and are learning more about the organization.
* Masters are members who have traveled far and wide throughout the Flanaess. They have also proven that they understand the code of conduct of this organization and have progressed to the next level.

Just a thought...
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I like it.

Regarding monastic orders in Obsidian Bay, the short answer is we haven't dealt with it. Monks in the campaign have been very rare, and by extension, so have monastic orders.

My take on this, based on how the campaign has played out, is that there may be some in (or more likely, outside of) the city, but they will have been very low profile, secretive, or withdrawn from society (else we would have heard of them before).

ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Other than recent creations, the only specifically attested monastic order was the good ol' Scarlet Brotherhood (quivering palm, vvvvjjjjjjrrrrrtttt!!!!!!) Plus, the Fate of Istus supplement kind of invalidated Greyhawk's monks and pissed people off.

The splinter group from the Scarlet Sign is The Black Brotherhood (Fight the Power), who are followers of STAN!

Other ideas people have had:

Order of...
The D'ai Shatain and Al D'ai Shatain (The Old Order, Zuoken and Xan Yae))
The Colorless Rainbow (Istus)
Fists of Hextor (Hextor)
The Golden Cup (Al'Akbar)
Thee of Conscious Thought (Rao)
The Righteous Cudgel (St. Cuthbert)
The Path of the Blinding Light (Pholtus)
Disciples of Discipline (Pholtus)
Wanderers of the Secret Path (Jascar)
Red Avengers (Xan Yae, Zuoken, Vathris)

I always thought their should be an arcane monastic order to Wee Jas, and probably a Monk/Paladin order for Rao, Pelor or Heironeous (like Jedi)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Jon,

The Two Fold path is very cool. I'd have to justify why he's sticking to the city. I'll keep it in mind.