Dark City: The Hunt for Absalom (8/15)

The Obsidian Bay campaign.
NukeHavoc

Dark City: The Hunt for Absalom (8/15)

Post by NukeHavoc »

I think it would be helpful to take care of some of the preliminaries for Friday's game in this thread.

To re-cap:

The Dark City heroes have defeated the menace of a number of illithadae "hounds" that were lairing in Awful Alley in the Butchers End Ward of the Mudsitters District. In the process of destroying the creatures, the heroes discovered that the inhabitants of Butchers End were unknowingly being transformed into bizarre human/abomination hybrids by the proto-portal that lurked beneath the offal and waste in Awful Alley.

They also learned, through Lady Zinora, that the city is threatened by a cult known as the Undreamers. Sir Fawkes has been charged with finding and destroying this evil to atone for his overzealous assault on the innocent (though deeply antagonistic and increasingly xenophobic) mutated inhabitants of Butchers End.

When last we gamed, Sir Fawkes had tasked Thom Silverbow with finding some contacts that might know of the Undreamers. Meanwhile, Kerth and Corash had taken it upon themselves to find the half-crazed urban druid Absalom, who was their last best connection to the cultists who'd menaced the Mudsitters District a month earlier.

Except it seems Absalom has gone missing...
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Nate had me write it up as "Offal Alley". Which spelling do you want to go with?

Also, got that treasure list?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Nate had me write it up as "Offal Alley". Which spelling do you want to go with?

Also, got that treasure list?
I thought we were doing "Awful Alley" as a play on words of "Offal Alley", but either works for me.

No treasure list yet. Maybe tomorrow.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

NukeHavoc wrote:I thought we were doing "Awful Alley" as a play on words of "Offal Alley", but either works for me.
HA! Thats funny because I thought we were doing "Offal Alley" as a play on words of "Awful Alley"!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

personally, I like Awful Alley better. :) Seems to me like something that commoners would use as day-to-day slang.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I've tried to update some of the missing names for the Dark City Primer. I'll try to do some updates on the Dark City Timeline tonight.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

It's probably officially registered as Offal Alley on maps, but referred to as Awful Alley colloquially by the unejumacated Mudsitters folk
NukeHavoc wrote:personally, I like Awful Alley better. :) Seems to me like something that commoners would use as day-to-day slang.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

There will be two weeks of in-game downtime between "Howls in the Night" and "The Search for Absalom". We'll assume people will be making their inquires during that time, but you'll have plenty of opportunities for other character activities (penning scrolls, brewing potions, etc.)

If you're doing something, please post it to this thread.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

For his part, Thom will be checking in with his contacts, including some of his old teachers at the College of the Laughing Song and will be petitioning to attend one of the monthly meetings of the college's Amber & Blood Society (an exclusive alumni organization associated with the college) to see if anyone knows anything about the Undreamers.
erilar

Post by erilar »

I know that Largo will be trying to contact the Assn of Couriers, and also the Council of Guilds' Office of Grievances (regarding the Messengers' murderous tactics, and specifically the treacherous Ordo).

Salsar's head had also been delivered to Wulfstad, and Largo wonders if he might not be able to talk the authorities into holding a seance at Salsar's burial site to speak with his old friend regarding the nefarious Ordo and Co.?
NukeHavoc wrote: Well, first you'd have to find said heads. Wulfstad is long gone, but someone at the Dagger Down Inn might be able to help.
Sure, that might be part of the adventure. I'm assuming that Wulfstad was an honorable enough guy that he buried his compatriot. If no one around the Dagger Down knows, then Largo would try to locate and question any remaining ex-Persuaders members. Failing that, he'll look into magical means of tracking down Salsar's burial site / remains.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Kerth's goals over the next two weeks are:

1) Find Absolam. He'll keep asking about the city, and talk with the druid's companions to try and find the lost druid.

2) Kerth has seen a need for some sort of association to aid the mudsitters. Several groups do patrols above the Guard, as well as give various forms of aid. With everything going on with the Earth dragons, as well as the aberrations, Kerth wants to found a group to organize everything for maximum potential. So he'll be talking to the various groups to try and organize things. Among those he'll talk to are: The Guard, The madiens, The two groups of tritherionites, the palorites, and the cuthbertians.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

The old farmer-turned-druid Stoney George, returning from a scouting expedition with the Orcslayers, decides to look up his one-time companions Corash, Thom, and Sir Fawkes.

Finding Corash at the Black Quill and being interested in things natural (and suspicious of the un-natural), he asks his friend "hey, what ever happened with that giant, mutant lobster claw - did you ever locate the rest of that beastie?"

Later, over dinner at Fire Eaters, he learns of his friends' quest to find another lost druid, and to put down the menace of the Undreamers. Stoney pledges his effort to the cause.

Someone mentioned that Absalom had been investigating something about a fish cult - where could we find more information about that group? Maybe speak to priests at temples of Geshtai or Procan, or even Beory or Obad-Hai?
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Cross post to get in the correct forum:

Gruffudd will seek to use his contacts to learn what he can about the Undreamers. First and foremost, he'll talk with Prug to see if he has heard anything while he's been helping the poor and downtrodden in the Mudsitters district.

Second, he'll talk to Promethean and see if the Silver Flame has any info on the Undreamers.

Third, he'll use his library card to see if he can find any historical info out on the Undreamers.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I realised last night that Kerth has a little gold saved up. So I was thinking of contracting a metamagic rod for him. However, depending on who's around he could also use more hit points. Anyone have any other suggestions? (I've got about 3000 gp to work with)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:I know that Largo will be trying to contact the Assn of Couriers, and also the Council of Guilds' Office of Grievances (regarding the Messengers' murderous tactics, and specifically the treacherous Ordo).
I think we already had Largo hook up with the Couriers Association in a previous adventure, but if not, consider it a done deal. They are actively looking to recruit him as a poster child for the Messengers Guild's oppression.