Last week

The Obsidian Bay campaign.
EvilGenius

Last week

Post by EvilGenius »

So Ken, what was awaiting us in the big scary cave? Was it the entire orc warband? Or was it just a little band that we could have handled? :)
NukeHavoc

Re: Last week

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:So Ken, what was awaiting us in the big scary cave? Was it the entire orc warband? Or was it just a little band that we could have handled? :)
A couple of orcs and the ogres; it wasn't the main warband. I should have left more hints so that was the big combat instead of the possessed knight, which didn't turn out nearly as well as I'd hoped. I violated a bunch of DM rules with that combat, including the cardinal sin of placing the Big Bad Guy in a position where only one character could get at him. (good for him, not so good for you).

Through in new characters whose capabilities I don't really know, and well, it was a mess. I'm working on re-tooling the wilderness encounter for next week, and I've asked everyone to post their Dark City statblocks to this thread to help familiarize me with what you're all capable of:

http://www.griffcrier.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5173

ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I thought it was fun. Sometimes its more interesting to play the combats your not prepaired for :P
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:I thought it was fun. Sometimes its more interesting to play the combats your not prepaired for :P
eh. It went alright, but it didn't seem like everyone was having a good time with it, though I suppose some of the blame must also be placed on our all around crappy dice rolls. :roll:
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

I was just having my typical "wait 20 minutes to do something again" frustration. It has nothing to do with your scenario. It's just a personal problem I'm having with d20 (combats so slow...).
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:I was just having my typical "wait 20 minutes to do something again" frustration. It has nothing to do with your scenario. It's just a personal problem I'm having with d20 (combats so slow...).
That was probably our slowest combat in a while, but then again, it was probably our largest one (PC-wise, with 5 PCs and one NPC) in a while as well.

Throw in multiple people who don't know their characters that well, a choke point that most people can't get to, and a confined area, well, it bogs things down. For my part, I'm going to try and keep things moving more quickly next time ... including using the infamous Timer of Doom. We had a lot of people looking up rules, spells, etc. on their turns, which inevitably slows things to a crawl.

As a post-Dark City campaign, I've been thinking about what we could do with A Teamers, but as much as I'd love to adventure with those characters again, I fear the combats.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

My uselessness in that combat was my own fault. I memorized spells based on us hunting orcs in the morning out in the field. Little did I know we would find ourselves in a small room fighting men at arms and a crazy knight.

Also I made a grave mistake in dropping my only melee weapon in favor of my bow. Sure I'm better with my bow... but that was just a dumb move on my part (Then again had I hit with the sleep arrow and knocked one of the Men at arms out I'd be singing a different tune).

In the end I just waited to forfill my other duty... keep the party alive :-D

Or I was waiting with a protection from evil spell should one of the party become posesed... :wink: (which is why I wanted to get to Corash at the start of the combat)