Bleeding Eye: The Coming Battle

The Obsidian Bay campaign.
NukeHavoc

Bleeding Eye: The Coming Battle

Post by NukeHavoc »

What are the group's intended tactics for the next Dark City adventure?

* Wait for the orc warband to come to Wardare Tower?
* Seek out the orcs and battle them before they get to the tower?

You've rested the night, so figure that you've got a half-day before the engagement either way.
Last edited by NukeHavoc on Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Sir Fawkes had asked permission to lead Sir Wardare's forces out to battle the orcs... I would assume he would have cavalry troops as well as infantry?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:Sir Fawkes had asked permission to lead Sir Wardare's forces out to battle the orcs... I would assume he would have cavalry troops as well as infantry?
A handful of knights and some commoner squires/footmen -- I'll post their stats tomorrow.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

I think we should meet them in the field - our strengths are in the wilderness. Perhaps we can even ambush them. That said, maybe we need the fortification of the town to survive the attack. Perhaps reconnaisance and then prepare for the attack?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

fyi -- i'm hoping you guys can come up with a general game plan (fortify the town vs. hunt the orcs) by Tuesday so I have time to prepare. The sooner you can come up with a plan, the better, as I'll be primarily working on this during my lunch breaks.

Ken
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Sir Fawkes would favor a seek and destroy strategy... we have the tracking ability, and the heavy-hitting first strike of a spell onslaught with a cavalry charge, then slug it out with whomever is left standing.

To await attack at the tower (most likely at night, which favors the orcs) would invite disaster. A strike in the field would leave us some place to retreat to if it doesn't go well, or allow those at the tower to escape while we stand valiantly against the enemy... to wait for the orcs to attack leaves your back against the wall already, and leaves no chance for retreat for anyone.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I agree with Sir Fawkes. I'm not the "back against the wall" type. Then again I'm not really a cavalry charging type... I prefer just to wonder around till we find them. :wink:
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I have no problems with seeking them out, especially as I can invisible-fly-fireballbomb them from afar...

Damon.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I think this is the best strategy and Brand votes for doing this. :)
setanta14 wrote:Sir Fawkes would favor a seek and destroy strategy... we have the tracking ability, and the heaI thnvy-hitting first strike of a spell onslaught with a cavalry charge, then slug it out with whomever is left standing.

To await attack at the tower (most likely at night, which favors the orcs) would invite disaster. A strike in the field would leave us some place to retreat to if it doesn't go well, or allow those at the tower to escape while we stand valiantly against the enemy... to wait for the orcs to attack leaves your back against the wall already, and leaves no chance for retreat for anyone.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

ok, sounds like we've got a consensus here. I'll plan based on this.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

A little more background for the party:

Based on conversations with the still-shaking Sir Wardare and his knights, as well as your own experience tracking the Bleeding Eyes, you do not think that they are operating as one large warband.

Between their barbaric nature, and their expert knowledge of the Pomarj wilderness, it is likely that they are operating in small bands, with perhaps one slightly larger band comprised of the war chief and his shaman advisor. And yes, Sir Wardare does believe that said shaman is still alive.

He does not know exactly why the orcs have not attacked yet, as they should have been here by now, but he has a theory: in the past the Bleeding Eyes have always made an effort to demonstrate their arcane and mystic powers by charming some sort of monster, and then using it to terrify their opponents. It would not surprise him to find that they are doing this now, perhaps attempting to subdue a hill giant or some other fearsome creature to aid in their assault on the town.
Last edited by NukeHavoc on Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Heh. Cool! More XP for us! :)